THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Any small or medium bore side by side double fans out there?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any small or medium bore side by side double fans out there?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
While lacking the provenance that some of these exquisite pieces have, my smallish-bore "everyday double" is my Victor Sarasqueta converted .30-30 WCF by Aaron M. Little. She's a sweetheart...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 608 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Custombolt: I have weighed the rifle, and "fully loaded" with scope, scope mounts and sling, it comes in at 10.5 pounds. I carried it all day/every day last August in Zimbabwe, and at the ripe old age of 66, never found it to be a problem. Big Grin The Rifle by itself weighs in at about 9 pounds. tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That's a very sweet .375 UEG. Looks to be well balanced. Sweet woodgrain and filled pores.

218 bee. Factory wood there? Re-checkered about the grip and fore arm maybe? Not bad at all. Looks pretty sleek. Did you weigh it up as it is?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
That is the original wood...although Aaron Little brought it to life once out from under a load of dark stain and old lacquer. He cut back the fore-end and re-checkered it (may have cleaned up the checkering on the wrist but I honestly can't say).

6 3/4 pounds in this configuration...an absolute dream to carry and child's play to shoot!

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 608 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's nice to see what capable hands can do with something kind of ho-hum like a Spanish double.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have great fun with my K-gun, it does what I wanted it to do for me. Fun to shoot, nice handling, even hits what it is pointed at. I do enjoy playing with it, some days just irons, other days the peep setup goes on, other days the scope gets put on. All according to the mood of the day. Been plenty of loading and bullet experiments, nothing to beat or match up to the factory rounds yet. But that is OK, some are close enough to be useable, some fail extravagantly, others have not been tried yet. I learn something new every time I take it out. That is why I like it. Had so many guns that were one or two loads and done, this one, just shoot it again with something else to see if it works or not, keeps me interested.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember at a gun show in Twin Falls in 1981, Gary Hopper of Boise Guns handed me a absolutely mint Double in 577 black powder, as I recall it was 2.5" and the price was $500..I passed on the black powder as I was not as schooled in doubles at the time, unfortunately..It was a beautiful gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Photo of my Chapuis 9.3x74R located here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...841005781#4841005781

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd Williams is in the house!!!!

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Wow Todd. That is some fine upgraded wood there. Yes. I have really warmed up to Chapuis.
Is your 9.3 a RGEX? Thanks for your time and sharing that fine looking double.

Atkinson: $500 was a stack back then for a blackpowder rifle. Must have been a stunner.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
No. UGEX.

I've mentioned this before but upon seeing that photo, my wife pointed out a couple of images within the wood figure. A bit like seeing shapes in clouds I suppose but I see them too after she mentioned it.

In the upper left, near the butt of the stock, she pointed out the image of an American Indian, with a choker necklace. And as if growing out of the Indian's left ear, the image of an old man complete with eye glasses and white beard!

YMMV!! Cool

Biebs! Whoop Whoop! jumping

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ah UGEX. Both actions look identical. Standard wood grades for each are different along with caliber choices.

Beibs, the deal man has a Model 66 Mauser for $995.00 There, my shameless plug for the day.

It's vague but the first image and necklace is there Todd. Can't see the ol' man though.
I have a Mauser bolt gun stock with a faint image of a rhino head centered on the right side of butt.
I'll see if I can find a picture of it later tonight. Kinda cool.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Now, it looks more like a really fat hog hobbling over a log.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles here!

Huvius, that Johann Springer is magnificent.
Buck and Use_Enough_Gun those are elegant as well.

Nothing nearly as fancy here, but this is my son's (now 8) Fausti 410 fitted with 25-20 barrels from Ellis Brown and a 2x Leupold prior to rust bluing the barrels a few years back. It is set up for 75 grain spitzers at 2000fps. I gave it a good spring cleaning tonight and will put it through its paces tomorrow and Saturday.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Bob, He's one super lucky fella to have his Dad buy him a Fausti and have it converted with premium barrels. Good on you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to post photos but I have a J&L Wilkins 22 double with matched set .410 bbls. I have Westley Richards double in 250 Savage plus a Purdey in 303 British. All in mint condition.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Buxtix

That 16 inch Howdah rifle is really curious.

It has 4 or 5 leaves for long range shooting and it has a Musk deer with canines engraved on the top of the lever!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Buxtix

That 16 inch Howdah rifle is really curious.

It has 4 or 5 leaves for long range shooting and it has a Musk deer with canines engraved on the top of the lever!

Hello Nakihunter,

Yes, 1 standing and 4 folding leaves. And yes, a sabre-tooth deer on top of the lever, and a tiger on the trigger-guard.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2142 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
I don't know how to post photos but I have a J&L Wilkins 22 double with matched set .410 bbls. I have Westley Richards double in 250 Savage plus a Purdey in 303 British. All in mint condition.

Nice. Email me the pics if you want?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fair game, will try to take respectable photos and pass them on to you. Better tomorrow's, Mims

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Thanks Fair game, will try to take respectable photos and pass them on to you. Better tomorrow's, Mims

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Try a bit larger.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD