Find
Notify
Tools

DRSS lunch
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted

Fjold came through town today and LEE440 and my own self had a great visit over lunch.
It is always gratifying to get to spend some quality time with good friends.
L-R My own self, Fjold and LEE440.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Always a pleasure to be around AR brothers(sisters too!) This was the first time I met Frank and he is a great guy! Thanks to Rusty for setting this all up. It is nice to be reminded how many great folks are on AR!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Rusty is a great guy,I miss the DRSS shoot & hunts,it was truly great times with some great folks Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Rusty is a great guy,I miss the DRSS shoot & hunts,it was truly great times with some great folks Wink

Bill, the only reason those get together DRSS hunts were stopped was the time of the year they were taking place. The DRSS hunts down at 4K ranch was because they conflicted with the Ranch's trophy deer hunts.

We chose that time because it coincided with the DSC show when the guys were all here for the show, and it was only a 150 miles down to the ranch starting on Sunday the last day of the show.

We could still do that hunt at 4K if we just do it at another time of year when it doesn't interfere with the deer season on the ranch.

Mathew may still be the game boss there. There are hundreds of wild boar on that ranch, and many may want to include some of the exotics at the same time. Maybe Rusty could ask if that would be possible.
I really miss those hunts, and at my age those will likely be the only hunts I'll be able to go on.

………………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill73:

Bill, the only reason those get together DRSS hunts were stopped was the time of the year they were taking place. The DRSS hunts down at 4K ranch was because they conflicted with the Ranch's trophy deer hunts.

We chose that time because it coincided with the DSC show when the guys were all here for the show, and it was only a 150 miles down to the ranch starting on Sunday the last day of the show.

We could still do that hunt at 4K if we just do it at another time of year when it doesn't interfere with the deer season on the ranch.

Mathew may still be the game boss there. There are hundreds of wild boar on that ranch, and many may want to include some of the exotics at the same time. Maybe Rusty could ask if that would be possible.
I really miss those hunts, and at my age those will likely be the only hunts I'll be able to go on.

………………………………………………………... old[/QUOTE

Mac,
I would be there for sure,maybe Rusty will chime in Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Gents, there are many other Texas ranches from which to choose that time of year. Even some not far from Dallas. If you are serious about having another DR hunt next DSC show, let me know the requirements and I will ask some outfitter friends.
Plus I know a place within 100 miles of Dallas with pig galore - large and small + chase dogs for the big boars.
Here is mine from last October:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT looks like a pile of cheeseburgers about to disappear!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Good thought.
Actually, I had already taken 3 meat hogs at that time, so I gave the boar to a less-than-lucky hunter and the two big tusks went to another hunter that also shot a boar lacking two tusks.
That boar was first blood for my new-to-me Beretta .45-70 double rifle and it did the job at 3 yards from the boar which was busy fighting chase dogs..
Jolly good sport!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It was great having lunch with Rusty and Lee440, as always Rusty is a great host.

We were trying to decide if the last time we saw each other was 12 or 15 years ago, when we got together at Rusty's club range where all the guys let me shoot their doubles.

Biebs, it was all seafood and we did put a dent in it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biebs, it was all seafood and we did put a dent in it.

Couldn't have picked a more capable trio :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Fjold came through town today and LEE440 and my own self had a great visit over lunch.
It is always gratifying to get to spend some quality time with good friends.
L-R My own self, Fjold and LEE440.

beer

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
This photo was taken 1/6/2008 at the Double Rifle shoot the last time that I saw you guys. So, it was only 11 years ago.

I was a much bigger me at the time.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
We have made so many friends over the years... Been coming to DSC for 14 yrs. I recognize you guys.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Rusty you have not changed a bit old man!
I also had great memories of the hunts and would enjoy sharing a camp fire again with the group.
One of the fondest memories was seeing the camp cook...(I think her name was Charlotte?)...walk into the lodge one morning to start breakfast only to see a large group still sipping on bourbon and talking smack in the same manor that she witnessed hours prior when she left us after dinner. Needless to say many of us didn't hunt that AM.

Classic memory I will never forget!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
I also had great memories of the hunts and would enjoy sharing a camp fire again with the group.
One of the fondest memories was seeing the camp cook...(I think her name was Charlotte?)...walk into the lodge one morning to start breakfast only to see a large group still sipping on bourbon and talking smack in the same manor that she witnessed hours prior when she left us after dinner. Needless to say many of us didn't hunt that AM.

Bunch of old drunks, but good old drunks! beer faint faint
I don't drink but would love to do one of those get togethers again!
…………………………………………………………………….. old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:

Yep, Charlotte was her name. We had some epic experiences there over the years. Miss all you ugly, old farts...which I am now a card carrying member of these days.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote