New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Double Rifles...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have owned many big bore rifles, including my own wildcat 550 Gibbs. Sitting at the bench this morning, and again just now loading for my Searcy .470 NE; it seems different somehow. Does the fact that those cigar-sized rounds are going into a Double Rifle make it special, or am I just fantasizing too much about shooting a DR?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the fact that those cigar-sized rounds are going into a Double Rifle make it special, or am I just fantasizing too much about shooting a DR?

Oh... probably a little of both. BTW it's a chronic condition, no cure.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I can't think of a more worthwhile effort than loading for a DR. Now, not only are you looking for a good group with one barrel, but BOTH barrels need to be part of that one tight group! It can be frustrating at times, but nothing a little Jack D can't cure (AFTER you're done reloading!!!)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geronimo,

Who would want to be cured?

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The D/R Effect" is now at epidemic level.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes there is something mystical about loading for double rifles. I still remember being impressed that when you threw a powder charge you could feel the case get heavier. I was helping a friend load using a old Lyman55 that didn’t have the screw adjustments. You just had to keep bumping the slide till you had it set.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Just for giggles, what are you loading bullet wise???

Thanks

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Butch at SCI Reno, and he told me he regulates his .470's with fed 215 primers, 106gr of IMR4831, and Woodleighs. Period. I asked him about using other bullets, and he just repeated " 215 primer, 106gr IMR 4831, and 500gr Woodleigh bullets...": what part of that recipe for success did you fail to copy down just now?". That load shoots a bit high at 50 yards, but under 2 inches for four shots. The Westley Richards ammunition put one soft and one solid into the same group.
At $75 (closeout) per box of five, I probably won't buy much more.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
10-4

I guess it will be Hornady DGX and Woodleigh solids for me..

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote