New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doubles holding regulation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friend is looking for a set of 9,3x74R for his Valmet 412.
He was told by the dealer who also has one of those that the gun will not hold its regulation, i.e. you have to re-regulate practically every year.
This is new to me.

Q: Is this really so?
Was he merely referring to the Valmet system and like where you can adjust the regualtion yourself; or if true, is it a more general comment also applicable to guns whose barrels are soldered together?
I suspect it's only pertinent to the Valmet (like) systems where the screws become loose and you "lose" the regulation.
Thoughts and especially experiences would be appreciated! My friend was pretty much put off the idea of a double rifle barrel set once he heard about this.

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you have answered your own question, with the possible exception that the dealer does not know what he is talking about! I have a Tikka 512SD with several barrels including the subject 9.3x74R. Several folks on this forum have the same setup. In fact, mine did "lose it's regulation" when the soldering came loose. Easy and inexpensive fix. Once regulated (again) it is still regulated! I love the gun!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have an 8X60RS with soldered barrels. It is an old gun, but it has not lost its regulation.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to make clear, the soldering I was referring to was the band on the upper barrel that has the ramp against which the lower barrel can be moved to move the POI of the lower barrel.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had two 512SDs doubles in 7x65R and 9,3x74R for a couple of years - never had that problem.

Cheers, Franz

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
I suspect it's only pertinent to the Valmet (like) systems where the screws become loose and you "lose" the regulation.

Lars, I cannot comment on your double rifle question. But I would like to commend you on the proper use of, and the distinction between, the words lose and loose. You have far better command of English language diction than even many of the US members who post on this worldwide forum. thumb

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all of the Valmet 412 bbls i've regulated, i've NOT seen this problem at all. I HAVE seen where owners would "over tighten" the screws, stretching them, and then they would break off in recoil, just like the cross bolts in Weaver rings do, when "they" are over tightened.

I'd say if you were worried about it, then when you get the the final regulation, use loc-tite on the screw threads.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had a set of Valmet barrels in 9.3x74r that would not shoot to proper point or hold zero after aligning vertical adjustment wedge between barrels. Found the screw head broken from screw body but still in the hole. Looked perfect but would not tighten up. After much diffculty removing screw head, screw body unscrewed easily. Replaced with screw from local hardware and had no further problems. Replaced with an allen head.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote