New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPR .30-06 ammo question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought 192 rounds of M2 ball from a friend last night, old Greek stuff sold by the CMP. My findings show that it is 70's manufacture, reloadable, and non-corrisive. My question is there any known problems of firing surplus military ammo through a double like the SPR. I understand accuracy may be deminished if not all but abolished. Are these rounds too "warm for the rifle?"

I purchased them with intent of just having bulk fodder if in case somebody just wanted to come out an shoot the rifle; I would be "wasting" a Remington 220- cause they ain't cheap on teacher's salary and I haven't reset up my presses since I have moved in my new house.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome bk. Your question will get more reasponses in the right forum, just an fyi. I have alot of these rounds I shoot out of early '40's Garand. She loves them. if I do my part, she will stack them one on top of the other at 100yds. No problen feeding or ejecting. No signs of eccessive pressure either.
Good shooting. BOOM

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry bk, didn't read your whole post before I put my foot in my mouth. Any the ammo is also clean. homer

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should be fine to shoot that ammo in your double.

Shoot the first two rounds and check estraction, and the look of the primers.

Typicaly Military Garand ammo is not loaded "hot", but storage and handling can cause some problems with surplus ammo.

I have never had any proplems with the military surplus ammo I have shot over the years.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the help, sorry I am just now getting back online to check responses. Long weekend as it was Homecoming football weekend. Had to take tickets for the game and chaperone the dance on Saturday night. Nothing more annoying than a bunch of hormonal teenagers in rut. Will try the ammo this weekend, thanks.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote