THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    470 Norma regular Vs African PH
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Norma regular Vs African PH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Norma 470 NE African PH with woodleigh 500 grains SN compared to the regular Norma 470 NE
with the same bullet Woodleigh 500 grains.

The price here in Norway is almost the same . NOK 1500 for 10 rounds of the PH ammo . In 2007 the price for regular Norma 470 NE was NOK 2607 for 20 rounds.

The regular Norma 470 NE with woodleigh 500 grains SN is listed at 660 m/s

The Norma African PH with woodleigh 500 grains SN is listed at 640 m/s

In my Drilling the Krieghoff Optima big five ,barrel length 60 cm the Chronograph ( Oehler 34) clocked the African PH at 614 m/s , the regular one at 639 m/s. Both a 4 shot average.

The point of impact and the groupings was almost identical at 85 meters.
The regular 4.5 cm between the holes and the PH 3.5 cm.

The recoil was a tiny bit sharper in the regular Norma compared to the African PH.

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good write up, nice job shooting to..

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting rifle you have there, and I see no difference in the 2 loads, either will work fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real difference is internal. The African PH uses one of Bofors new powders and chamber pressure is considerably lower than regular. Also, the nickeled cases of the PH line will drop out of the chamber more easily than straight brass - a real consideration for a PH using a non ejector rifle like your Krighoff, but of little consiquence for you.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told by a Norma engineer that the only difference were the cases and the velocity. He confirmed that test specs of regular Norma, 2165fps/26" bbl, and PH, 2100fps/26" bbl is correct. The regular Norma seems very stout, quite sharp. I have not shot the PH. I don't doubt that it's a different powder in the PH but I wasn't told this. The primers on the regular looked OK but ever so slight sign of pressure. The Cape Shok we shot that same day had similar primers. It seems to me that you can't crank up the 470 past 2100 (out of a 26" bbl) with any powder without increasing pressure. Most of us are shooting 23.5-24" bbls so subtract maybe +/-50fps? Also remember that Kynoch specs on the 470 is 2125 fps out of a 31" bbl! http://www.new-kynoch.apt-sites.com/470%20Nitro%20Express.htm

Oh yeah, the other difference? Price!

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bothered to convert these. PH-2014 fps, Norma Red Box-2096 fps. I just used an online converter, assume it's OK. Why are these load never what the factory says? Given that Federal sucks due to no filler, giving inconsistent velocities, it does seem to live up to it's factory specs. I've shot both the regular Norma and Cape Shok side by side and they seemed the same as to recoil and viewing the primers. But we were shooting a Chapuis 470 and I've come to view these as very poorly mannered in the recoil department. I've spoken to quite a few who have said the same when comparing to another 470, oed or modern.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote