New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greener double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Purchased my first double rifle, a Greener .577 2 3/4 light nitro late 2013. Heres the details from previous owner.
W.W.Greener Double Barrel Express Rifle chambered for the .577 x 2 3/4 Light Nitro cartridge. This rifle was built on a 1928 Greener "Empire" 12-bore shotgun action by Melbourne gunsmith Rolph Bachnick, in the first year of the new millenium I believe. I have owned it since October 2003. Overall weight is 10 1/2 lbs and the balance point is 2 1/4 inches ahead of the hinge-pin, still well behind the forward hand. Barrels are 22 inches with British express sights including a faceted diamond front bead! Barrel engraving reads ".577 - 2 3/4 Case" and "65 Grain Cordite / 650 Grain Bullet". Rib is engine-turned with maker's name in a banner: "W.W.Greener Maker 40 Pall Mall London S.W. Works St Mary's Square Birmingham.

The action remains tight on the face and bores remain in excellent condition, appearing virtually as new. External rust-blueing of the barrels is very fine and still appearing virtually new. The non-automatic Greener side-safety is modified with a clever raised rib for positive non-slip operation. Stock finish shows a few minor dents and scratches commensurate with field carry, and some thinning of the oil finish at the front of the comb, however the stock still looks great and I never considered a refinish to be necessary.

My Experience.

Ive enjoyed carrying this rifle in the field with some good results on boar and scrubbers. still ha
vn't found a good enough buff to take with it.
Ive had to change the load as I ran out of 2206 and have gone with the recommendation of the previous owner and used 2206H with slightly more powder and it shoots very well.
Heres some Pics in the field and previous owners pics. Cheers Mick
Greener .577 2 3/4 light nitro

First hunt the arvo I got the rifle. Not what I was looking for.
Problem scrubber. 40m 2x 650 woodleigh RNSP, second not needed.

Components, felt wads.
couple nice boars
1m breaking away from bed projectile from boar above

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mick

That's a great looking rifle. Some nice game there too, congratualtions.

How easy is the diamond front sight to see? Does it reflect light in low-light conditions?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris , easy enough to see and okay in low light.
Rifle fits very well and is great for instinctive shooting. Handles like a fine shotgun. Heres a couple more pics. Cheers Mick
previous owners pic.
taking a break
40m bedded
120m trotting

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That's a nice rifle! Love the splinter fore-end.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
264WM Spitzer... You're going to have to change your handle to something like: 577 Whoop ass on everything...

Nice DR!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mick,
That's "The Fat Lady" from Marrakai up in Darwin isn't it? That's a hell of a gun in a great caliber. Great to see she's still in action.
Best.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking piece of history you got yourself. Congrats.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice rifle! I am surprised you were able to recover a bullet.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle, congratulations!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Classy rifle my friend. I'd love to have that as an all around hog and bovine blaster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Calshtr:
Mick,
That's "The Fat Lady" from Marrakai up in Darwin isn't it? That's a hell of a gun in a great caliber. Great to see she's still in action.
Best.

Yes I purchased it from Marraki, The Fat Lady is still in Darwin.

Ive recovered a few woodleighs designed for the velocity. They open up perfectly, mostly length way shots. Cheers Mick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer

Thorns in fingers and hands, cuts in arms and legs, blisters in feets, happiness in me.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Double rifles and Fly rods in the Aus Tropics.Ahh beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
I really, REALLY like the look of the rifle's proportions! Those 22
inch bbls have the benefit of making the rifle so handy, and give
it a very serious appearance! Tell us all about it's ammo compon-
ents and velocity and so on please.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Did I see this rifle in Australia a few years ago?
It's a magnificent piece.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
I really, REALLY like the look of the rifle's proportions! Those 22
inch bbls have the benefit of making the rifle so handy, and give
it a very serious appearance! Tell us all about it's ammo compon-
ents and velocity and so on please.

The hard work was done for me by the previous owner, Marraki. He had the rifle regulated and shooting about a inch apart at 50. The load was producing around 1665 fps and 4000 ftlbs ME with woodleigh 650 RNSP and 650 woodleigh solids. Both loads use 2x felt wads compressed onto the powder. Brass used are from bertram and Bell.
I had a limited supply of 2206 and once this ran out, I started using 2206H with a increase of 1 grain on the 2206 load. The loads work fine with MOA of boar at 50m.
The solid load is 3 grains less than the RNSP load.
At 10.5 lbs the rifle feels a bit heavy but it is balanced very well and is easy enough to carry in the field. jumps into line and on to game like a shotgun.
Recoil is stout but tolerable at around 60 ftlbs and 20 fps velocity. I dont notice it on game but it requires some concentration to shoot at the range.
Im realy, enjoying hunting with the Greener.
Heres a couple more pics, Cheers Mick.
loaded rounds and components
30m bedded
recovered projectile from boar above
ginger boar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Cal, rifle used to be owned by Marraki, Tony in Darwin. I think you have hunted with him.
When he was hunting with The FAT LADY.

Ive got some pics of the BGRS Darwin 2013 if you would like copies.
Your wilkes and the holland 600's.
A few others of Vic, Dave , yourself.
Cheers Mick

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 264wm spitzer:
quote:
Cal

Cal, rifle used to be owned by Marraki, Tony in Darwin. I think you have hunted with him.
When he was hunting with The FAT LADY.

Ive got some pics of the BGRS Darwin 2013 if you would like copies.
Your wilkes and the holland 600's.
A few others of Vic, Dave , yourself.
Cheers Mick

Pics would be great. Thanks.In fact I'm near completion of my next book within a few weeks and I will post pics if they arrive in time.
I knew Tony had the rifle but I didn't want to mention his name. Big bores and short barrels seem to go together. Like John Lee Hooker's song: Big Legs, Tight Skirt.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun with impressive rounds. At first I thought you were handloading for a 105 howitzer or something similar.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I always thought that "The Fat Lady" was the epitome of what could be built on a donor action and that the Greener Empire action, with its long bar, is the ideal action to build on.
If you're going to build, might as well go big and this gun is the pattern to shoot for although few end up as well built or proportionally correct.
Strong work Mick!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Now! There is a 577 double I would love to own!

...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pics would be great. Thanks.In fact I'm near completion of my next book within a few weeks..

Cheers,
Cal

What book??. Please bring inlightment to the crowds Big Grin

In the meantime..short legs an tight shirt.. I am surprised you haven´t seen this one:
http://www.wyomingarmory.com/products/items/ch577/

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Jens:
Good day.
The new book is an intro book to double rifles with chapters such as how to clean and care for, buy, sell, makers, ammo, where to get stuff, and several dozen pages of a glossary with double rifle terminology. My work will be done prior to March 1, then to layout, and then to print. Hope it will be out by early summer. Lots of pics of fine doubles in it.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hard work was done for me by the previous owner, Marraki. He had the rifle regulated and shooting about a inch apart at 50. The load was producing around 1665 fps and 4000 ftlbs ME with woodleigh 650 RNSP and 650 woodleigh solids. Both loads use 2x felt wads compressed onto the powder. Brass used are from bertram and Bell.
I had a limited supply of 2206 and once this ran out, I started using 2206H with a increase of 1 grain on the 2206 load. The loads work fine with MOA of boar at 50m.
The solid load is 3 grains less than the RNSP load.
At 10.5 lbs the rifle feels a bit heavy but it is balanced very well and is easy enough to carry in the field. jumps into line and on to game like a shotgun.
Recoil is stout but tolerable at around 60 ftlbs and 20 fps velocity. I dont notice it on game but it requires some concentration to shoot at the range.
Im realy, enjoying hunting with the Greener.
Cheers Mick.

Thanks for all this Mick! I wish you the
very best of hunting with this fun 577 rifle!
wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jens:
Good day.
The new book is an intro book to double rifles with chapters such as how to clean and care for, buy, sell, makers, ammo, where to get stuff, and several dozen pages of a glossary with double rifle terminology. My work will be done prior to March 1, then to layout, and then to print. Hope it will be out by early summer. Lots of pics of fine doubles in it.
Cal

Cal: I just know that you want a pic of my Merk in your book... Or maybe my Shot & Ball... Something to compare to your older generation of rifles... Admit it! ;-)

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Hey Cal, Here is a photo that you are free to use in the chapter on "affordable doubles" Roll Eyes

P.S. Looking forward to your new book.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
That is a fine looking DR.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Hey Cal, Here is a photo that you are free to use in the chapter on "affordable doubles" Roll Eyes

P.S. Looking forward to your new book.

JCS:
In a few days for a week or so I will make a post for pics. Yes, I will take this one.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting that gun Mick, it is a beauty and Im sure it will give you heaps of fun.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice and pretty double.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote