Find
Notify
Tools

470 N.E. loading help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I did it!
I bought a used Heym 470 NE. I have also ordered RCBS dies a shell holder and 100 new Norma cases. Also 50 solids and 50 softs. Questions: I’m looking for the 470 hard cast bullets that everybody keeps talking about. And the loads for them.
I’m also looking for the standard loads that I can work with… possible minimum to maximum loads. Do I use some kind of filler? Also primer recommendations.
Any other help for the NEW double guy would be helpful!
Thanks, John

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Federal 215 primers in all my magnums. My Searcy is regulated to 106gr IMR 4831 with a 500gr Woodleigh soft. The Heym owners here will know their standard load. A lot of guys use Reloader 15 or Hogden 4831.
Good 500gr cast bullets in .475 can be found at Huntingtons for $19.98/box.
A great reloading book is A-square "Any shot you want".
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Searcy Field Grade. Great rifle built like a brick outhouse.

Have used 500 gr cast bullets with AA 5744. Regulates around 45.0 gr of that powder. Magnum primer or filler is not necessary with this powder.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
375John,
Congrats on your rifle,I have one as well,I use Rx15,CCI 250 lrm primers,my rifle shoots well starting at 80 grains & foam filler,bullets used have been,Woodleigh 500 gr softs & Speer Gold dots 400 gr,they will both work with the same powder charge,all rifles are not the same,my Merkel used to shoot good at 87 grains of Rx 15,I would err on the side of caution,start low & work up,
For cast,I have used Cast performance bullets in the past as well as bullets from one of our honorary posters here on AR,he will let you know if he is still casting,I would use the Speer gold dots for learning to shoot the gun,using cast & switching to copper the gun has to be cleaned thoroughly each time.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375John:
Questions: I’m looking for the 470 hard cast bullets that everybody keeps talking about. And the loads for them.
I’m also looking for the standard loads that I can work with… possible minimum to maximum loads. Do I use some kind of filler? Also primer recommendations.
Any other help for the NEW double guy would be helpful!
Thanks, John

Congrats, you are a DRSS self-inductee.
Huntingtons, buffalo, Midway, etc,etc losts of vendors for cast bullets around.
Loaded hard cast gaschecks (heat-treated) with
full power 4831 loads with minimal fouling and good regulation.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye,
Do you have a web page for those gas checks?

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cast my own from a custom mold out of a duplicate of Lyman #2 alloy. 86.0 gr. of RL15 and 4 gr. of dacron shoot very well, better than the factory target that was supplied with my Krieghoff. Unlike some others, my rifle refused to regulate with reduced loads of 5744.

105 gr. of IMR 4831 did nearly as well, but I saw no need to put up with the increased recoil and burning more powder so I stick with the RL15.

Posts: 37 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: 13 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375John:
DuggaBoye,
Do you have a web page for those gas checks?

Mine were out of a custom mould.

But these 450's shot well- with 4831 or Re-25

http://www.montanabulletworks.com/wst_page6.html
I'm sure someone else is commercially making some 500's by now.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading 106gr IMR4831 under Woodleigh softs, over Fed 215 primers. I drop off a couple of grains for the FMJ's. I got these loads from Butch.
I have learned to cast lead bullets for this and my 416 Rigby. It cost maybe $300 to get set up, but given what bigbore huting bullets cost these days, you make it up fast. Plus the added benefit of learning to cast bullets! It's fun and satisfying.
You can load powder puff loads with 5744, 35-40 grains. I think these come in not much over 1200fps, minimal leading. Cheap and easy practice.
You won't need filler for any of these loads. Good luck, have fun.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked out the Mountain Bullet Works web site...
I noticed the dia of the bullets are .475 - .476 is that a concern for a 470 n.e.?

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member