New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you guys know of a US source for RWS ammo? Specifically in 9.3 x 74R. My Chapuis was regulated with RWS 16g. (247gr.) Cone Points and I'd like to get a hold of at least a few of them to chronograph and see how they shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Give Gunbroker a shot click here.

Try Gunsinternational and GunsAmerica also.

Good luck

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. I look on the marketplaces every day but no luck so far. I've asked RWS if they have a US distributor but no answer yet. UMAREX USA is here in Arkansas but they don't import any centerfire.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Thanks Doc. I look on the marketplaces every day but no luck so far. I've asked RWS if they have a US distributor but no answer yet. UMAREX USA is here in Arkansas but they don't import any centerfire.

Fiocchi was the US distributor for RWS until last year. Now they seem to be making their own rifle ammo w/US bullets but nothing in your caliber. But they might know of a contact. Ruag of Switzerland owns RWS and has a US office. I suspect you have used this link: http://www.ruag.com/de/Ammotec...tridge_Broschure.pdf which has the RWS Germany site at the end which, in turn, lists at its end various contact people.

many AR members fly between the US and Europe. Maybe one of us could pick up some ammo in Europe for you

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi.....I have a couple boxes RWS 9.3x74R.....don't recall which bullet ....am away from home right now.....can look when return and advise....happy to send you a few rounds....
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alex. When you get a chance, see what you have and let me know.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that Huntingtons handles RWS brass and its the best brass made IMO, but its pretty expensive. I have some once fired RWS brass but I'm thinking its 450-400 and 9.3x62, have to check that out.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray, I'm looking for some RWS 9.3 x 74R loaded ammunition with 247gr (16g) Cone Point bullets. That's what Chapuis says my rifle was regulated with.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may have that same load in my stash. I can look if you like

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive got three full boxes plus one partial box of 4 shells for this load. I needed it for a merkel regulated with the 247gr load. At the time, I was able to get it from Old Western Scrounger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kynoch, Would you be willing to part with a box of it? PM me if so. Thanks, Bob

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id be happy to part with all of it! I can cut you a good deal. I should have a bunch of different factory 9.3 brands and weights you may be interested in. PM me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kynoch, Sent you a PM.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kynoch, I'm back in the world. Sent you a PM.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody heard from Kynoch lately?

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cone tip the manufacurers most take when evey other load not shoot with the rifle.

The cone tip design redeues the nonrotation flight distance in the chamber. 9,3x74R has in standard chamber demensions very long nonrotation travel chamber section.

Probably it helps when you just make some reloads using the same bullets to a similar velocity. The bullet is on medium to heavy game not really good, the construction is too soft.

Send me PM when I am next time in the USA I will bring you a box of ammo. I can that buy here from the shelf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I had wondered if something like that was the case. Thank you for the offer.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still trying to find a way to buy some RWS ammo.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Untill you do,or in case you can't find the RWS ammo you might try some different factory loads.

My Chapuis was regulated with RWS 293 TUG.

It shoots most 286gr loads and 232 Norma Vulcan just fine.

I would got to say Midway or Graffs, and order one box of every 9,3x74R ammo they have and do a test.

I have found even if some ammo does not shoot acceptable at 100 yards all of them have shot under 3" at 50 yards. So I just used those rounds when I was hunting up close...

Also the Norma 232 Vulcan factory load is suitable for any game animal in the lower 48.
I found it a tougher bullet than the Norma 286gr Alaska bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I've got about 600 rounds through the tubes. That includes 4 factory loads from Norma, Hornady and Federal and 61 different hand load combinations. I've used Norma, Nosler, Hornady and Woodleigh bullets in 250, 270 and 285/6 gr. in various combinations with Norma and Hornady brass, magnum and standard primers. I've tried H380, H4350, RL-15, IMR4831, and Vit. N550.

Some loads are terrible, some are acceptable, none are great. I've use both iron sights at 50 meters and scopes at 100 meters. I haven't broken out the chronograph yet but there is no need to until I can shoot some of the rounds the rifle was regulated with to see what velocity they generate and get a reference point. That is why I am looking for some of the RWS 247 gr. Cone Points. I want to chronograph them, pull a bullet and measure all its dimensions and then try to duplicate the load as closely as possible.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RWS cone points are from the design very cilindrical, therefore they go sooner into the rifeling then a spitzer bullet with long ogive. Even the RN are in 9,3 not very long zylindrical. Even they have an ogive and only the very top is round. (The woodlegh I dont know)

Second RWS use usually very light loads with fast powder. That gives normal pressure and not so much heat into the barrels (from an extra 5gr progressive powder).

RWS recomend a load of 60 to 61,5gr (3,89g to 3,99g) of R907 powder (also possible is same weight but using R903 or R902 52 to 54,5gr. (COL is 92,5mm). Their larger rifle primer 5341.

There you can use the Federal large rifle priner you will not notice anything (in my DR I can only exchange that component otherwise the accuracy decreases - my rifle is regulated to 4,24g H4350 using a 18,5g FMJ RWS bullet in RUAG 9,3x74R cases made to the COL 94,5mm)

So I would try using a real round nose in the same weight as the rifle is regulated. Powder 61gr. VV N140 COL 93mm (test DEVA load). Re15 and H380 as about in the same buring rate.

I think you was going for too slow powders and too heavy charges, that heats up the barrels very fast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bunouschu, My dealer is trying to get me some VV140. (His distributor was out of stock on his last order.) It is the fastest burning powder that will give close to a full case. I don't like going below about 90% case density. With most of the powders the standard large rifle primers seem to give the best results. I also learned yesterday that even the 9.3 x 74 isn't much fun to shoot when you have a broken rib!

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Found 6 rounds of RWS but they are weird. The only reason I have any left is they wouldn't chamber in my rifles. The rim is too thick. Marked the same as the rest and were in a regular box in which the other 14 rounds were correct. The rim has a bevel and is just that much thicker than the regular 9.3x74r. Marked the same and primers are marked NP as my other RWS. They are all solids. Have no idea what they are for unless they are British 360 Purdey mis-marked cases.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim, I'm learning lots of interesting things about European ammo. It's not that there is anything wrong with the ammo or the system but it is different from what I'm used to. I'm still looking for some RWS 247 gr. Cone Points to try in my Chapuis.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still looking for a source for RWS ammo.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
BAyou Bob,
I would suggest before you do anything on a double is find out just how good your gun will group before you start doing load testing..

You can only do that by firing a few groups out of each barrel seperately and averageing them to see how each barrel shoots..by so doing you will know exactly what your gun is capable of shooting and that will be the worst of the two barrels because the worst barrel will open the best barrels group accorddingly..Then that is what you will always be working towards in your testing, the size of the worst group will be your goal with each load test you try...You must do this with each load..

That is if you want to squeeze the ultimate out of your gun or you can do it haphazardly and settle for what seems to be OK...I have made many minute of grapefruit doubles shoot 1.5 or better by doing the above, its time consuming and hard work, but the dividends are a plus every time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. I've done that and with several loads each barrel groups quite well. The right barrel's individual groups are a little bit better but that may well be because the rear trigger is considerably heavier. My problem is that while I can get good left right regulation my rifle shoots consistently left barrel high with everything I have tried. I am talking 3 to 5 inches high at 50 and 100 meters both with and without a scope. That is why I am trying to find some of the ammunition it was regulated with at the factory so I can try and match it both in velocity and bullet profile. I understand that a DR isn't designed for half inch cloverleafs at 100 meters but I'm pretty sure I should be able to do better than 5 inches.

Under 100 meters it is adequate for most hunting but at present I would be leary of the second shot much past that range especially when you factor in that all of our groups open up under field conditions. I am also patient (or maybe just simple minded) so I'll keep plugging away until I get it to shoot right.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember to use a chronograph when you shoot the RWS 247 gr. Cone Points. You can’t duplicate the load if you don’t know how fast it is going in your rifle. I hat to bring it up but I do recall one of the people on the forum having to send their Chapuis. Back to have it re regulated.
Good luck
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until I can find some of the ammo the rifle was supposedly regulated for I don't have any room to complain. The only thing I find odd is that a rifle made for American import was regulated for a round that isn't available in America.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS