Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti sight issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted
Can anyone tell me how the fibre optic front sight on a Sabatti 92 classic comes out? I would like to put a set of Real express sights on this piece, but can't find a good smith in my area (Washington, Pa) who I trust. I just have a problem with handing my gun over to some body who'll " see what he can do". The rear dove tail measures .465 wide by .772 long with a 45 degree dovetail slot. All of the two leaf express sights are like .902 long which would entail opening up the dovetail, and naturally I'm concerned with scratches, etc. Don't know how you guys with K guns & other expensive doubles do it. Can I just send the barrel set out for install?

Posts: 46 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 28 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, you send only the barrels for sight fitting unless you want the smith to sight it in for you. Opening up the DT is an easy set up and mill job; no need to scratch your barrels. I don't know about the front sight as I have not owned a small framed Sab. Send me a good pic of it and I will tell you.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
Thanks but finally found a good smith just 18 miles from my house. And get this, he's from England (that's a big country across the pond, Shootaway). Even has the accent. Anyway, he will install brass bead front and 3 leaf rear and sight standing leaf to 50 yds, 1st leaf to 100 and 2nd to 150. Figure that otta do with a 300 gr JHP at 2150. I'll use my Baikal for the 500 grain load. It puts them bore distance apart at 50 over and over consistently.

Posts: 46 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 28 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
Update and question on my sight issue with my Sabatti. It turns out that of the three gunsmiths in my area, not one would touch my express sight install,claiming "its too expensive,don't wanna chance screwing it up". Can't blame them, and thanks for the offer DPCD, but just didn't feel right shipping the barrels off. Anyhow, got on the phone with IFG Sabatti. The rep was extremely helpful and sent me a high and medium set of front sights and a three leaf rear just like the big boys wear. Believe or nay, I did the install myself with just a set of good files and some VERY careful measuring. The finished job looks professionally done,no kidding. Now for question: I installed the tall front (8.5 mm) and find that with a full bead at the bottom of the V, I am about 5inches high at 50. With a fine baed I'm an inch high, which is fine. Is it " normal to hold a fine bead when practice shooting? I really dont' wanna file the rear down,as I haven't botched anything so far and I'm about due. Would ask Shootaway but when his guns shoot high he just pins the target higher on the backstop.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Should not use a fine bead as when shooting at DG, you will forget to. But you should shoot it however you feel comfortable. Now, are you holding center or 6 o'clock? With a 6 hold you might be on.
I find that many "gunsmiths" are just parts replacers and can't really do real smithing.
Glad you got it fixed.

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
DPCD, thanks for the quick reply. Using a 6 o'clock hold and a fine bead puts me at 2 inches high at 50. This is fine when I'm group shooting off the bench. When I practice my "charging buff/ Mark Sullivan" shots, I flash sight picture a full bead in the V. Since it is two totally different types of shooting, I don't forget and at the closer ranges/ quicker movements of a charge,I'm still in a 6 inch bull at 25. I know that probably doesn't make sense, but those "hurryup and shoot" shots are pretty much on POA. When I shoot for groups I'm trying harder/squeezing slower etc.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then you are GTG.
Makes perfect sense; there are few hard and fast rules to DRs; it involves a lot of magic.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Then you are GTG.
Makes perfect sense; there are few hard and fast rules to DRs; it involves a lot of magic.

The MAGIC is caused by the rifle fitting it's shooter!

Close in shooting with a double rifle is instinctive, and one rarely even sees the sights, or at least is not aware of seeing them.

Instinctive shooting fast and close targets is a combination of shooter/fit, and practice.

Good sights that are cut properly are a must for longer shots where one has time to make a precise shot placement!

................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Mac. This brings up another question. As my stock sights set now the first flip up leaf is only 4-6 thousandth above the standing leaf. The second leaf is above around a 1/10 or so. Is it normal to file the standing leaf to say dead on at 50? This would in effect have the first leaf higher than the 4-6 I have now and would in essence have a gradual raising as you move from leaf to leaf. Would appreciate some pics from the rear of the sight to see how you fellas have yours sights filed. I know the various calibers/bullet weights would make a difference, but this would give me an idea. Thanks for any advice.

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
One other question. How many posts/replies/knocks on Shootaway do I need to have 'one of us' under my log in name. Cause weather you like it or not, I and my hard kicking doubles are here to stay!

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
Boy,that was fast. Thank you.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quartermain:
One other question. How many posts/replies/knocks on Shootaway do I need to have 'one of us' under my log in name. Cause weather you like it or not, I and my hard kicking doubles are here to stay!

.................................................................... Confused.
Who in hell was that aimed at?
....................................................................... I'm out! wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your standing leaf should be on at 50 yards. The rest of them will be higher, for longer distances. Others will comment about how they shoot their DG, double rifles at long range. For me, large caliber double rifles are for 100 yards, maximum.

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
Mac, my "whether you like it or not" statement was jokingly pointed at those who decry the 45-70. I know that you are not one of them and meant no disrespect.