THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bullets for the 450-400, 3", (.411)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for the 450-400, 3", (.411)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I placed an order for a Searcy Classic double rifle in Reno this year. I will have both 3756 flanged magnum and 450-400, 3". The 375 I am not worried about as I have good bullets from North Fork and GS custom for it already. I am worried about feeding the .40 cal. It should be in the delivery stage by the end of the year. I have recently received my GS Custom bullet order and was thinking of placing another order for bullets for my double rifle. I have some questions.

Since Hornady may soon be making cases and obviously some bullets, should I wait and or use the Woodleigh's? Would Mike at North Fork be producing some FNS and CPS for the .411 rounds? I like having one bullet the GS Custom FN solid and not have to worry about the bullets having different points of impact. One always has the right bullet in the rifle all of the time with the FN's and once you have it regulated, it should stay that way. Ordering from GS is no real problem and if they have the bullets in stock they can send them right out to you. The hitch in the deal is African shipping either by post or by air it still is a little problematic. My last parcel was damaged in transit and retaped by someone. Some of the bullets were lost and I informed Gerrard and He is replacing the missing stuff now. Ho hassesl and better yet no BS from either the post office or the shippers bureaurocracy. Customer service is Job well done by the folks at GS Custom.

I have located some .411 bullets by Barnes and can buy them for less money. They are monometal bullets, X and RN solids. Will the Searcy handle the hard metal of the Barnes bullets OK? Is modern barrel steel going to stand up to the Barnes Solid, Or should I stay with the Woodleigh lineup until I get some North Fork or GS Custom bullets in? I need some help on this as this will be my first double and I do not want to screw it up right off the bat.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that the barrel steel is the issue; it's the fact that two barrels are joined, and expansion of one of the barrels when monos are fired that affect the connection (soldering) between the two barrels, hence possible separation of the barrels.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Don't think NF currently makes a 411 bullet for DR's but he will custom make you some CPS or FPS. Give him a call.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot the Barnes, not worth the risk when better and easier on your rifle bullets are available. Don't fret about Woodleighs, they are your go to bullet.

Every Woodleigh solid I have recovered has been perfect, except for the rifleing marks.

I'm going to give North Fork flat nosed solids a try this fall. I have had little trouble getting 450gr North Forks to shoot to the same POI as 500gr Woodleighs, with just a bit of elevation difference.

DR's aren't always as picky as many seem to think. Even if they were, 400grs of Woodleigh solid or soft at 2150fps out of a 9 to 9 1/2lb rifle will be a great combo for anything!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404
That will be a nice double rifle set.

For deer/pigs/fun/practice loads I would use the 235 Speer bullet in the 375 Flanged Magnum, and the Hornady 300gr bullet for the 405 WCF in the 450/400.

Both are within the parameters of the 75% rule.

I have already seen a couple of .411 diameter 450/400's shoot the Hornady 300 grainers as good or better than the regular 400 grain bullets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can hardly wait to get mine. Where do you suggest I get the brass?Jamison OK? Should I order 500 each of Horneber?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 450/400 3 1/4" I have used HDS and Bertram
I prefer the HDS.
I just got some Jamison and it looks pretty good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote