New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby v Westley Richards
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you guys have any experience in using both of these old traditional English double rifles ?

Thoughts ? Comments ? Anyone for sale ? Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both made excellent rifles in a variety of grades and each at different times offered actions built on proprietary designs. You might want to narrow your quest to a particular design/caliber.

The price difference among different designs and calibers is substantial.

I sold a lovely Westley two weeks ago built on the Westley patent C-bolt action and commissioned by the Maharajah of Alwahr.

I have spent some time shooting a good friends wonderful .450 3&1/4" Nitro rising bite Rigby. Impossible to beat that type of quality. A true best gun.

Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morten, get one of each :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Both made excellent rifles in a variety of grades and each at different times offered actions built on proprietary designs. You might want to narrow your quest to a particular design/caliber.

The price difference among different designs and calibers is substantial.

I sold a lovely Westley two weeks ago built on the Westley patent C-bolt action and commissioned by the Maharajah of Alwahr.

I have spent some time shooting a good friends wonderful .450 3&1/4" Nitro rising bite Rigby. Impossible to beat that type of quality. A true best gun.

Steve

Steve/SKB .... Steve Barnett Fine Guns ???

Morten

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Morten, get one of each :-)

I am working on it Jon... but way too expensive in the US market ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak for doubles. But have used a 7x57 by Westley Richards and a 275 by Rigby. Styling different, but other than that it’s do you like Westley or Rigby.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bertramandco.com

Steve Bertram

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently handeled a prewar rising bite John Rigby in .470...fully engraved, 26" barrels..original case...boy, that was a nice one.. tu2

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 Rigbys, two in 450-400 3 1/4 BPE and one in 450 3 1/4 NE and one Westley .500 NE. All hammer guns. They are all superbly accurate with one Rigby BPE shooting 3/4 inch at 50 yards and 1.3 at 100 yards, the 450 NE was 1.9 inch at 100 yards, the Westley was 1 inch at 50 yards. I don't think there is anything else that I can add.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Do any of you guys have any experience in using both of these old traditional English double rifles ?

Thoughts ? Comments ? Anyone for sale ? Wink
Morten

Not certain exactly what you want to know-
Overall I have preferred
the feel/handing/styling
of the Westley over the Rigby-

Have owned only 1 of each
and shot a few of each
and handled several of each

As to values,
it will be -
condition/caliber/provenance dependent
between the brands/individual guns

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer the one that was:

a) The most accurate,
b) In a calibre that I was happy I could satisfy my personal ammunition requirement quantity needs,
c) That was sighted and regulated for the distance I'd mostly use it at.

So select a WR or a Rigby according to how well it fits your needs rather than by the maker's name.

Personally I don't like top extensions...so would not buy anybody's rifle with either a "rising bite" nor a "doll's head".

Also I don't like Westley's lever work as, long term, the corner of top lever can wear. Scott (or similar) lever work is superior.

Buy a gun to use and because it suits YOUR shooting needs not because it is a tick on a list of names.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote