New
Find
Notify
Tools

1/4 rib Merkel 140 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the 1/4 rib on my merkel 140 solid metal.
I need to mill a 3/16" deep slot for my peep sight. How do you remove the front sight?

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I've not unsoldered a set of Merkel barrels, but the one piece top rib is solid enough to hold the dovetail for the rear sight... so my assumption is that it's solid enough for you to machine another dovetail for a peep sight.

To remove the front sight, clamp the barrel lumps in a vise (I pad the vise with 1x4s) and use a piece of hard wood (oak) to drive the bead out (towards the muzzles.) It could be fit tight enough that that the wood won't work (it may split before it moves the sight) and you might have to use a brass punch.

The Recknagel beads will fit the front sight dovetail, but you may need to do a little fitting to get them to fit perfectly.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you New guy. I just got my catalog in the mail from Merkel usa, I gave them a call. You are right on the money about the sight, and
the 1/4 rib. It is not hollow and is safe to drill and tap or dove tail etc.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes - the rib is solid - i cut a couple of dovetails in it for scope mounting & it worked out fine

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
I've not unsoldered a set of Merkel barrels, but the one piece top rib is solid enough to hold the dovetail for the rear sight... so my assumption is that it's solid enough for you to machine another dovetail for a peep sight.

To remove the front sight, clamp the barrel lumps in a vise (I pad the vise with 1x4s) and use a piece of hard wood (oak) to drive the bead out (towards the muzzles.) It could be fit tight enough that that the wood won't work (it may split before it moves the sight) and you might have to use a brass punch.

The Recknagel beads will fit the front sight dovetail, but you may need to do a little fitting to get them to fit perfectly.

All good advice, and with the wood use the side of the wood so you are driveing CROSS GRAIN! This will give you less likelyhood of spliting the wood!

While we're at it, here is a good idea I've use for years! A good file guard when cutting a rear sight to a Wide "V". Take a 4"x 8" piece of saddle skirting leather, cut a rectangular hole in the middle to just fit the rear sight through, then the files will not hit the barrels or ribs while cutting the rear sight. It works well, and will last forever, and saves a lot of "OH SHIT" gouges on your barrel set, and ribs ! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I need to mill a 3/16" deep slot for my peep sight.

JD

Honestly JD, I wouldn't do that. Most guys want a good set of express sights on their DRs, which Merkel doesn't make. While you can remove the peep and fill the dovetail with a block when you get ready to sell, it's still a buggered rib, and that will make it harder to sell.

There's no question that you have to find sights that work for you, and I find the Merkel sights worthless as well. J. J. installs a great set of express sights with folding moon bead on the Merkels, very tastefully done. Just don't make the common mistake of too large a standing bead. Unless you're going to scope it, I'd go that route before cutting up the rib.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
This is NE450No2.
I agree with 400 Nitro. I would have JJ modify the iron sights to real express sights, AND have him install a scope in claw mounts, mounted as low as possible.

EVERY double 400 and under should have a scope, in QD mounts.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 and aks
I understand your reservations.If this was a fine old double, or a top grade gun out the factory yesterday, I would not even think of it. I will shoot it one more time, to see if the fileing has helped, the I will glue or tape
the peep to the 1/4 rib to see if id does indeed
solve my problem. The peep came from Mojo yesterday,It looks perfect. I talked to the importer yesterday. Merkel is currently working on a peep to be installed where the blocks come out for the claw mounts. I gave some thought to having claw mounts installed,I am more worried about having to have the rifle regulated again, it I change to a scope.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
This is NE450No2.
I agree with 400 Nitro. I would have JJ modify the iron sights to real express sights, AND have him install a scope in claw mounts, mounted as low as possible.

EVERY double 400 and under should have a scope, in QD mounts.

AKshooter, and 400 nitro express, the sights JJ does on the Merkels are a modified factory rear sight, to a Wide "V", and a replacement front blade, and flip-up moon sight. This is work one can do them self, quite easily!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's done. We set it up in the mill, the sight was good as it was no milling needed. We drilled and taped 2 # 4 hole. Machined the fixed express blade off leaving a shoulder to stop the 100 yard folding blade. The sight is 1000 times better than the factory. I can see well enough to start load work. 110 grs of H4931 shot a little low with cup points and dead on with same load with 400gr Hornaday pistol load. I getting 2.5 " groups at 50 yards.

I have a long way to go to master this rifle, it came out of my hands one time,and doubled once. I will take some pictures if one of you guys will post them for me.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro