New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE or 500NE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looked at one of each. Sabatti's. 470NE was a bit heavier.
Soooo, if you were thinking about getting one or the other, but were undecided, why choose one over the other?
Pro's and con's on each caliber please.

I have a 50AK Sharps clone, so I have moulds for the 50's, but getting moulds for a 470 won't be much trouble.
Thanks

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockrat,

You know my answer, plus you can come over and reload the 500 at my place till you get set up. I've been hearing the Sabatti in the 500 is light per calibre in the 500 that would be my only con on the 500 which is easily fixed. If you need some well placed weight in the 500 I have some 3/8 tungsten rod that can be placed behind the metal in the forend (thus it's between the hands and simple drilling) and add some in the grip cap of the stock (route out the wood underneath and add the tungsten) the balance of the rifle will not be compromised and you can get the rifle to 11-11.5 lbs which is a pig for Will but about the right weight for most folk. The 500 is more than a marginal step above the 450-470 class of calibres when it comes to killing/stopping effects, I can objectively see the difference in the field with ele and especially buff. Anyway, the 470 is a fine killing calibre in the right hands, your choice.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both are great cartridges and will work well on any game. If I were going to travel with it the 470 would make a better choice because it is much easier to find 470 ammo than 500. The 470 also has a better range of bullets to use. In penetration tests that you will see soon on Terminals the two performed about the same.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
You understand this is only my opinion but the Sabatti is too light for either of those chamberings! If it were me, and i wanted a Sabatti for the occasional elephant, and lots of Cape buffalo, I would buy the Sabatti chambered for the 450NE 3 1/4".

Having said that, my favorite chambering in a double rifle from .450 up is the 500NE, but in that chambering I want the rifle to weigh the right amount when I buy it. Also IMO, the quickest way to destroy the handling of a double rifle is adding weight in the wrong places!

Between the two you are asking about the 470NE makes more sense, but the 450NE is no whimp!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mac how about the 450/400 for the same purpose you stated, lots of buffalo and maybe, maybe an elephant? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
weight is easy to fix just add a little as(rockrat) stated if it is needed. bore size as always is a personal preference. if you can hit what your aiming at then caliber is just a number. you could use a howitzer if you wanted but if you can't hit what your aiming at it's just a nice paperweight Big Grin just my opinion

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought about the 450NE, but I came across a Beretta 45-70 that someone rechambered to 45-70 Belgian mag, which is nearly identical to a 45-100. It will push 405 gr slugs to 1900fps, so thinking different caliber.
Haven't ruled out the 450NE ,but as dirklawyer will attest, as I have met him since he lives just down the road, I am kind of a big guy (6'3" & 300lbs) and broad of shoulders and kind of like the larger calibers.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
The 470 looks more sexy than the 500! I think you would be happy with either.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I bought the Sabatti 500 NE for specific use on Ele, but would also use it on Buff. The 500 has a dramatically different effect on Ele than the 450 - 470 class, according to my research.

As to weight, I found it way too light for caliber. I sent it to JJ Perodeau at Champlin for some mods, including additional weight via Mercury Recoil Reducer(s). Awaiting its return sometime this week, with great expectations.

BTW, my hunting partner came to the same caliber decision and bought the Sabatti in the 500 NE and also sent it to JJ for similar mods and weight.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a "better" choice. I have a Searcy .470 NE, but owned a Krieghoff .500 NE before that.

You could always buy one of each, do a four or five year test, and sell the one you like least...

Rich
DRSS
470 NE and 9,3x74R

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote