THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    NO SLEEP FOR ME TONIGHt !!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NO SLEEP FOR ME TONIGHt !!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought the very slightly used Chapuis 470 that new guy was selling for a client. The photo's look very promising. I should get here tomorrow.

Its funny how little changes in gun fit make a big change in how a rifle handles. My Merkel is a great shooter, and a real working man's rifle. Because of my hand problems I just can't close my hand tight enough to keep a good grip on that nice trim pistol grip, the grip feels great and the rifle points and were I look. I shoot it well, but you know it when it slides in you hand.I had no issues with full power loads in jacks 500 rigby or my 505 , They both have a palm swell and its just enough to allow me to hang on. May be I be able to shoot with out pain, Then I can plan my next trip.

Check it out at ,http://www.heymusa.com/ , go to inventory its the only Chapuis there.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, you are really onto something. Fit does not get enough attention on this forum.

Anything over 375 H&H/300g causes me to flinch. Sorry, but that's how it is. A full-on 375 is all I can handle, BUT a full-on 375 with three-sixteenths cast off and a straight stock is like shooting a .308.

Point is, fit is not just for shotguns.

Good hunting to all.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, JD did you get to handle someone else's Chapuis (in 470) before you bought this one? Is there a weight difference or just the palm swell?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabala's had a real pretty Barouse in 30-06, I got to handle it and I could close my hand enough to get a grip on it. Chris sell (New guy) is a straight shooter, he thinks its going to work better for me, and gave me a 3 day inspection period. Just the little difference palm swell makes lets me close my hand tight enough to keep a 500 nitro with 600 gr full house loads from sliding. I think the Chapuis is a little lighter.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,

I believe you will love your Chapuis .470 as much as I love mine. A lot of guys in this forum put down the beaver tail fore end. I always assume they have small hands. I'm 6'4" and when I grasp a splinter fore end my fingers wrap around past my thumb and they get in the way of the sight. The big beaver tail fore end and the palm swell of the Chapuis allows me a comfortable grip to control a hard recoiling gun better. Good luck with your new toy.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a nice looking gun, the grip does feel better than my Merkel. The sight or the scope come up perfect. I will be able to tell beter after I shoot it.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro