THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Improving the appearance of the Baikal MP 221
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving the appearance of the Baikal MP 221
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi

This is my first post so I hope it works.

With luck there should be some photos of my Baikal 30-06 D/R attached. I spent about a week or so working on the stock in an attempt to make it a little easier on the eye, and to improve its overall functionality. As those of you who own one of these rifles will be well aware, the wood to metal fit leaves quite a bit to be desired and the stocks themselves itself could best be described as clubby. I also took the opportunity to fabricate a replacement rear sight for the rifle as I found the factory sight almost impossible to use. The new sight was cut from a bit of mild steel from an old target frame. The butt revised stock is modeled on a Brno Model 21 while the fore end is modeled on a Webley and Scott SxS shotgun. As I am not a stock maker I decided to work within the confines imposed by the existing checkering. Although this limited what could be achieved, overall I'm reasonably pleased with the end result, which I finished off in hand rubbed linseed. I will probably replace the recoil pad with something in a red/brown colour at some point. Anyway, I hope you like it.

MP 221 with re-profiled stockhttp://i1297.photobucket.com/a...1537_zps613ea1d4.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/a...1532_zpsf5004701.jpghttp://i1297.photobucket.com/a...1531_zpscf775371.jpg

Posts: 81 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 06 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job. They are actually fun to work on. And even more fun to shoot.

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Not bad looking at all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking nice, done the same thing to but stock of one of mine and rebuilt a new but stock for the other.

Way to go, enjoy it. tu2

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Looks much better than the original.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I really like the rear sight. I chucked my rear sight and put in a ghost ring site that is adjustable for up and down. Almost anything would be better than the stock one!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Great job!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote