THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Some more Blaser S2 questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some more Blaser S2 questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I have really been thinking hard about a double lately. I have not owned one before but I had had some experience shooting a few. I have shot both Searcy and Merkel .470's as well as a Heym .500 NE. Of the three, I would have to say that I liked the Merkel the best but in the larger calibers, they all seemed so heavy and cumbersome. I pretty much gave up on the idea until I started reading everyone's comments here about the 9.3X74R. There have been lots and lots of positive comments with regard to the Chapuis. I would love to hear from anyone who owns, has owned or shot a Blaser S2 in that caliber. How was the balance? How was the weight. Was it hard to open, close and load? How did it shoot. Just give me your general impressions. Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave
I have shot a Blaser S2 in 9,3x74R, 375 H&H and 470.
I own and have hunted a great deal with a Chapuis 9,3x74R. It is one of my most favorite hunting rifles. I hae had it in Zimbabwe on 3 Safaris, used it in Texas, Montana, Idaho and Canada.

I also hunt with Blasers, and have a Blaser D 99 Duo, double rifle drilling in 9,3x74Rx9,3x74Rx20ga.

I bought the duo to use in Idaho and Montana for black bear and elk, as well as moose if I ever draw a tag.

I like the 9,3 round so well, but I wanted the drilling so I could shoot grouse at EVERY avialable oppertunity, as I really like to eat them.

Here is my unbaised comparasion between the Chapuis and the Blaser S2, both in 9,3x74R.

The Chapuis is slimmer, sleeker, and lighter than the S2. The pivot scope mount goes back to zero 100%. The rifle has ejectors.

The Blaser will be more accurate as you can adjust the regulation to the load you choose.
The Blaser scope mount goes back to zero 100%.
The Blaser triggers will be lighter.
The finish on the barrel is much tougher on the Blaser.

The way the Blaser S2 operates is different than most all other doubles, ie it will automatically de-cock upon opening, and must be re-cocked upon reloading and closing.
For some one used the the Blaser system, even if you have been using a R 93 it is not big deal, and just a matter of becomming use to the rifle, ie. practice.

I have been very happy with my D 99 duo, so much so that I bought a duo in 308,308,20ga as well.

In fact the next time I go to africa I will probably take the D 99 instead of the Chapuis, mainly because i want to shoot a guiena foul or two a day, because they are good to eat, as well as 20ga buckshot would be good for some of the small stuff.

You might even think about a 9,3 Duo over a 9,3 S2. Even with its 3 barrels I like the way the Duo handles over the S2.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I have an S2 in 9.3x74R and I'm very sattisfied with it. For me, it handles really well and is very quick on target. I don't mind the decocking feature (and I don't hunt dangerous game) or the single trigger.
The gun weighs about 7.7 pounds (the safari models are reported to be heavier) and recoil is quite comfortable.

If you want to mount a scope, the Blaser saddle mount is very handy. Solid, yet it detaches very quickly and returns to zero every time.

The gun is very accurate with lots of different ammo (it shoots many different brands/weights to the same point of impact at 50m) and the barrels can be adjusted when necessary.

All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for you comments. I really appreciate the help.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have had quite a few blasers including the S2. I would own another S2 before I would own another R93. The S2 is a pretty ingenious rifle.

The best part is it is available in a ton of calibers.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote