THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Tradition, beauty and technology.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tradition, beauty and technology.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have never held or fired a fine English double (tradition), so I don't know what I am missing. Perhaps one day....
I have seen pictures of doubles with beautiful wood, but I would be afraid of taking them to Africa in case I scratched the wood.
So, I bought a Blaser S2 in 500 NE! A modern gun with technology to match. I searched the forums, contacted Lane (ledvm) via PM and he practically had an orgasm telling me of the virtues of RL15. So I have fired a total of 10 rounds from this (used) gun. I used Hornady DGX 570 grain bullets, no filler or wad.
89 grains RL 15

90 grains RL 15

91 grains RL15

92 grains RL 15

93 grains RL 15

The Blaser is a heavy gun (12# ?) and was amazingly comfortable to shoot.I also have a K gun in 500/416 and an MK Owen in 450 x 3 1/4, and the Blaser is the most comfortable to shoot. Recoil was just not a problem. I had no information from the previous owner about his loads, but, obviously mine matched his extremely well as the POA/POI was similar (presumably) to his. I have made no adjustments to the scope.
Now for the technology. The Blaser came with a scope, a Zeiss VariPoint VM 1.5-6x42 with illuminated reticule. I have NEVER seen optics like this! Probably some of you have, but not me! It is simply amazing. The aiming point is a small black dot, which, even against a black target, can be easily seen. With the IL on, the dot becomes an extremely precise red dot. I have several red dot scopes, and NONE of them have a dot as precise as this, maybe 1/2 MOA, and NO FLARE when the intensity is cranked up.
To round this off the scope has the Blaser QD mounts. What a combination of design, engineering and manufacturing. Totally repeatable, I remove the scope to store the rifle. Scope installs in maybe 10 seconds. The scope is so good that I can see using it on my R93 as a low light Leopard scope!
So, that's it. I have not chronographed the loads as my chrono is on the fritz. The display goes faint and then disappears. I have changed the battery, no difference, so I will have to send it back. I obviously have not lugged the gun around Africa, neither have I tried to load and fire 16 rounds as fast as I can. Also I have not fired it at 500 yards to see if the bullets cross, but, as of right now, this piece of modern technology (with scope and mounts) is a keeper and brings some serious pride of ownership!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, nice addition to your DR collection, I knew you would come around and have to get the classic 500 N.E. Smiler
As you found out on the range, if the 500 is weighted properly IMO (11-12 lbs) the recoil is quite manageable. Enjoy!

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dirk, interesting comment. I don't know much about cartridge design, but the 500NE seems to have several advantages:
1. (Only) 3" long (not 3 1/4).
2. Slightly tapered case (no neck).
This seems to yield a cartridge that is easy to load, slides out easily (just tip the gun), and at least in my case, seems to resize with no difficulty. In fact I suspect that I could resize the cases without using lube. Perhaps this is just a measure of the chamber of the gun?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:

90 grains RL 15

91 grains RL15

92 grains RL 15

93 grains RL 15

Peter.

Peter, the rifle is shooting very well!

On all five targets which of the bullet holes is the right barrel and which is the left barrel? If the one on the left is the left barrel and the one on the right is the right barrel on all the targets then the rifle is shooting wide, and the velocity is too slow. If the reverse is the case the rifle is crossing and the velocity is too fast.

The rifle seems to be doing very well for elevation between the two barrels. A tiny bit of adjustment in the velocity one way or the other and you are home free! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD, right is the right barrel and left is the left barrel. I thought that the 93 grain load was the most promising. I plan on trying it at 100 yards with that load to verify divergence or convergence (as well as drop)! Then try it with open sights (back at 50). I know, I should have done that first, but....I am quite happy with the POA/POI , but especially with the comfort level in shooting it. I believe that a Kick EZE is installed. I had read about the recoil of the 500 NE.
Thanks, Peter.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
tu2 Wink Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37884 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used Hornady DGX 570 grain bullets, no filler or wad.

Now...all he needs is NF FPS bullets and he is in business! Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37884 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane, are you following the "Double Rifle Bullet of the Future" thread? Looks very interesting to me!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane, are you following the "Double Rifle Bullet of the Future" thread? Looks very interesting to me!
Peter.

Yep...but it is no different really than the NF concept.

PM Michael and ask him about NF FPS...he'll tell you the same as I.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree, except the new ones have fewer bands don't they? I have used GS Custom FN's in 416 and 375. Both are extremely accurate. I have shot the 416 380 grain FNs in my 500/416 K gun.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK after being ragged by Lane (Ledvm) about not using real bullets, I bought some North Fork FPS's. Here the first results, scope not adjusted since firing the softs, in the first post:
NF FPS 90 grains RL15.

NF FPS 91 grains RL15.

NF FPS 92 grains RL15 (compressed load).

I also had some Hornady DGS "solids". 93 grains RL15 gave me:

Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saint Crispins's Day...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Rusty. This gun is just plain boring! But I like it!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, ISS you are a few days off but absolutely correct! How to lead men in battle:
WESTMORELAND. O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!

KING. What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
Thanks for the reminder! I don't think there was anything glorious about the battle. It was a slaughter. It is never a good day to die. But if I had to pick one, that might be it (on the English side of course)!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
peter

with north forks and 91 grns. of rl-15 you just found magic, keep that load but remember that RL-15 can vary from lot to lot, other than that you are good for elephant or anything else.

i am not supprised about your findings with the scope, zeiss and swarowski are just that much better than the rest.

cheers

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Does your S2 have the user-adjustable regulation of the barrels, or are they fixed? The only S2 I've seen had the adjustable feature, which seemed like a great idea.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think mine is adjustable. There is a socket for an allen wrench at the muzzle end. Sorry if this is too technical! I bought it used and have asked Blaser for the instruction book and appropriate allen wrench. We will see if they deliver as promised. In any case, I have made no adjustments to barrels or scope. Just loaded some up per Lane's (ledvm) and others recommendations and shot 'em! No drama, no fuss, no muss. Quite boring really!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think mine is adjustable. There is a socket for an allen wrench at the muzzle end. Sorry if this is too technical! I bought it used and have asked Blaser for the instruction book and appropriate allen wrench. We will see if they deliver as promised. In any case, I have made no adjustments to barrels or scope. Just loaded some up per Lane's (ledvm) and others recommendations and shot 'em! No drama, no fuss, no muss. Quite boring really!
Peter.

Don't touch a thing, When you run out of rl15 buy two large containers of the same lot ,make any need adj to the amout of rl15 get back to where yoiu are you will be set for years.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the muzzle adjustment feature on the Blaser ends at the 9.3x74R caliber. Those larger than that are solid mounted for additional strength with the additional forces they create.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote