THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My second date with my 470! There may be love down the road.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My second date with my 470! There may be love down the road.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Things are comeing together. The peep sight is a big improvement over the express sights! I replaced the steel tube, and lead plug with recoil tubes, that weigh about the same. I put on the 1 1/4 thick limbsaver recoil pad ( I did a terrible job of grinding it to fit,I will have a another go at it soon). I worked with rl 15 and H4350. 400 gr horndays,375 cast ,500 gr cast and 500gr cuppoints.

77 grs of RL 15 shot ok. The 400 gr horndays crossed a little at 50 yards (2 1/2x 2 1/2) The 375 gr hard cast shot real well with 3 of 4 touching the group was 11/2" by 2" vertical. 87 grs of RL 15 did not do shoot well with the 500 gr cup points (2 1/2 x 4" )6 shot group, or the cast bullet that only grouped (6"x6").

H4350 with the 500 grs cup points and hard cast were a big improvement. 98 grs of h4350 shoot 4 inches high at fifty yards, 4 of the 6 cup points went into a 2" group, two fliers that hit right about 5" and were 1" apart. The 500 gr cast group shot real well
with 4 of six touching 21/2"x1" and 2 fliers to the right about the same as the fliers from the cup point group. The fliers must be me,the sight picture looked ok but I am having trouble with the triggers. front trigger is 5 1/2 lbs and the rear is 6 lbs. I shoot 2 1/2lb and 2 oz triggers off hand. I am useing a tripod as a rest for my front hand. Breaking the shot and keeping sights on spot is tough. The loads may be better than I am able to hold. How low can double triggers be adjusted? 4lbs would be a big improvement.

The puf-lon worked ok, its a bit of a mess, but easy. I just used a spoon and funnel to fill the case to the mouth. I did not see any sign of leading, even with full house loads of the 500 grs of hard cast. You did see some puff-lon on the bench and on the gun when the wind blew it back at me.

I did notice that I had some light ringing on the case necks that fired the cup points, I also had rings with the H 4831 loads that had no fillers. Do banded bullets do this? I did not see any real signs of pressure, the cases fell out of the chambers, primmers are flat but not dimmpled. The h4350 loads did not cross.

Next time out I will drop the load of RL 15 to 75.5 grs with the hornday bullet, and set up a powder measure for the puff-lon. I will also shoot at 75 yards. I need to make a standing bench, and work on tec. I am going to use the expander I use to prep case for lead bullets, with my remaining cup points. I can feel the rings on the cup points dragging when I seat them. I don't know how to post pic's, but know how to e-mail them if some one wants to help out.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
JD,
I use 89 grains of RL 15 in my searcy 470 with the cup points and have had good results. You may want to increase your charge from 77 grains up to 87 grains and go up from there. I also prefer 5744 powder for the cast loads.

Be careful...these doubles are to expensive to experiment with when loading....stay with published data or you may get youself in trouble.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The triggers can be down to 3 1/2#-4# safely. Are you going to give 5744 a try on your cast loads? 500grains has posted his data for cast loads and I promptly used it with no problems.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe My post was not clear, I will fix that. I used 87grs with the 500 gr loads, and 77grs with 375gr and 400 gr loads. 475guy Is SR 4759 the same as 5744. Is 5744 a high bulk powder, and do you use a filler with it. The fellow who markets the puff-lon told me in 7 years the only problem he was aware of was with a load containg 4759. I need tp do something with the triggers.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
4759 is not the same powder as 5744. I forgot the original application for 5744 but it is one of the best for bulking up for cast loads.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would rather see you use foam plugs or Dacron for your filler.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would rather see you use foam plugs or Dacron for your filler.

I will second that.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your concern Rusty.I have studied my options carefully. I know some shooters are concerned about ringing a chamber due to a plug being formed. This stuff has some moly, waxes, and silcon mixed with a very fine sawdust.I floated some in some water for a day it did not sink, put some 4831 and puff-lon in a glass lab jar compressed the contents and put it in a vibratory cleaner for 15 min there was no migration of either the powder or filler.
When you make a foam plug you make it the same dia as the case body or as the neck. if you make the dia of the neck you would have powder migration, if you make it the case dia you have the foam compressed to a diffrent degree at the neck and the case body. I am more concerened about powder migration than a plug being formed.
The guy that sells the stuff loads it in a 22-250- they are real hot loads. He claims to not have had any problems. Who has had problems with this kind of filler? I may try foam if I can find a plug cutter,and a good suppply of foam. I don't like the idea of dacron. Have you seen rings on case necks with cup points, I know its not the filler vbecause they were ther with the 4831 loads with no filler

Thanks
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The only concern I have is powder migration.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote