New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The only thing that I am not totally happy with on my 9.3 Chapuis is the trigger pull. They are both a little hard, but the right one is pretty darn stiff. This is complicated by my short stumpy hands and fingers. It's a stretch for me to get that front trigger. I'm pulling with the tip of my index finge, not squeezing with the second part of my finger . My gunsmith suggested that he could bring it down to about five pounds, but wouldn't reccommend any lower to avoid doubling. Anyone have it done? Any cautions?
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased my Chapuis from Dale Nygaard. Before he shipped the rifle to me, he had his gunsmith do a trigger job. They are still a little heavy for my taste, but very crisp. I recall Dale telling me that the French government requires the heavy trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recall Dale telling me that the French government requires the heavy trigger.

thats so they don't go off when the french drop them running away Big Grin hilbily stir

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recall Dale telling me that the French government requires the heavy trigger.

bsflag

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre, if the information that I was given by the importer is incorrect, then how about supplying some facts? I would be interested to know more. Thanks, Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,

since you were not privy to that conversation, it ill behooves you to question its veracity. Perhaps you were engaged elsewhere when the french government made that decision, and they did not get your approval/review, eh?
This is not an isolated incident, by the way; Bob Green was the Savage Companies designer when the 110-series came out. They had focused on Australia as a primary market, and the Australian government would not allow the import of any rifles that could have a trigger pull capable of being adjusted below four pounds. I heard this from Bob at a SHOT Show dinner some years ago.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not let just anyone adjust the triggers on a double rifle.

I recommend JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms, enid OK.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
JJ has done work on other rifles for me. His work is good. My gunsmith has done several trigger jobs on doubles, but they are not his bread and butter like JJ. Good advice.
I've only owned two doubles. One was Browning, the other is the Chapuis. I tried to find my notes on manufacture of the Browning. I couldn't find them. But if my memory is correct, the factory target and info sheets were in French. The trigger on the Browning was much lighter and crisper. It also had a shorter reach for my finger so my sense of the amount of pull was less, because of the ergonomics.
Thanks again
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Then Chapuis would be the 1st rifle ever with a French government controlled trigger weight ?!? Smiler Let's get straight to the point. Chapuis is popular because it offers value for money. Economics being what they are, Chapuis -being an economy class double rifle- can't afford to invest the skilled handwork and compare with the best known European doubles costing 2x or 3x as much. Ergo, he who's not satisfied with the factory product will have to hire the ministration of a competent craftsman to compensate and better the industrial standard. As simple as that...

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
after i bought my chapuis from dale nygaard, it developed trigger troubles.... sent it back to him, he had pat laib do the triggers... pat does trigger work on hi-end sporting shotguns and did a fine job on my chapuis....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Ditto on Pat Laib. I sent my Chapuis to him and he did a great job and turnaround was less than 2 months.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre

The trigger pull information comes straight from Chapuis (Bernard G. the export manager). I have no reason to dought what he has told me.

DLN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale's gunsmith did one of my Chapuis and Keith Kircher did the other. Both were fine and crisp at about 3.5 to 4# with the rear trigger slightly heavier than the front. DuaneB

Chapuis UGEX, 9.3X74R &
7X65R

Posts: 72 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought both of my Chapuis doubles from JJ, The triggers were heavy and had some travel.
He corrected the problem, I was at JJ's today, he is scoping my Miller & Val Greiss. He is leaving for France on the 28TH of this month for a several weeks. Like Tony (450no.2) I
highly rec. him.
Terry

Posts: 35 | Location: Southwest Kansas | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my chapuis (470 and 9.3) triggers have no creep... but they are too heavy to my liking.

What would be the suggested lightest weight for a 9.3mm and a .470 double...

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
DNL,
As a director on the board of the official Belgian Liège Proof House, I might be closer to that kind of info than most.
Enough said, Cool

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.