New
Find
Notify
Tools

Popped a pig with the 470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just return from my farm in E Texas and popped a pig with my 470 Heym 88. (NOT a braggin' size pig!).
I used the Hornady DGX; It killed him, however I expected it to; He was only about 80#'s. It was fun stalking him from down wind. I got about 30 yards away.
I think those DGX loads have a different loading than the DGS. They sure seem to kick more. Perhaps it was the cool damp weather and my "bones" were more sensitive?????
I was on my tractor, bouncing through all the rooted up fields. I think there is plenty more 470 fodder out there!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in E. Texas as well, just North of Longview. The pigs out here are an epidemic. Can't seem to kill them fast enough.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My place is about 1/2 the way between Corsicana and Palestine on 287. Just a mile east from the Trinity river and only about 500 yards from the drop off to the river bottom and we have a creek that runs through the forested area of the property. I believe it to be pig heaven. Any time you have running water, pigs just love it, just like turkeys.
My son and some of his buddies may be archery hunting for deer this week. It would appear from what I saw yesterday, the deer are close to the rut in our area. It is mandatory at my place that if you see a pig, you have to attempt to kill it!
Need to move this dialog to the hog hunting threads!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EZ
I am shure we can get you some help with your pig problem.

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr

Nothing better for Big Bore DR practice than pigs and pigs on the run.

I love blowing them up with my 465/470/500 Nitro's.

Makes you learn to reload fast when you come onto a mob of them.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote