THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Need Help Getting A 500 SxS With Ejectors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Getting A 500 SxS With Ejectors
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

I had a call from a friend who is off to Tanzania for his safari.

He is interested in buying a 500 side by side with ejectors.

Any suggestions of where he should look, or if any of you knows of one for sale, please let me know.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Where's the guy? In the US?

If in the US there are a bunch of cheap Sabatti 500's with ejectors available. I'm sure the gunbroker type websites have a bunch too. Expensive ones too.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Where's the guy? In the US?

If in the US there are a bunch of cheap Sabatti 500's with ejectors available. I'm sure the gunbroker type websites have a bunch too. Expensive ones too.

Will why on Earth would you recommend a Sabatti to this man knowing the problems people are having with them? He may not be as lucky as you were with your 45-70 re-chambered Sabatti!

Most of the outfits that sell new & used double rifles will have 500NE doubles in Krieghoff, Merkel, Chapuis, Varney Carron, and Heym. Champlin’s or Cabela’s gun library will have some good used doubles for sale, but stay away from the Sabatti doubles. A very large percentage of the Sabattis sold have been returned with problems!

........................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, there's a guy in South Carolina with a 500 NE Heym with ejectors. The Buy It Now price is $14,500...probably get it for $13,500-$14,000.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, Ken at Kebco may have a 500 NE Verney-Carron in stock.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Saeed, there's a guy in South Carolina with a 500 NE Heym with ejectors. The Buy It Now price is $14,500...probably get it for $13,500-$14,000.

Give him the web address then!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I was just using the Sabatti as a cheapo baseline. Not recommending it or anything else. How could anyone recommend a used rifle, or a new one for that matter, unless it's your personal gun. Not much time now to debug anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

I will not buy a Sabatti because it is not a well made gun, nobody on this site will be able to claim so. Nor because they are not regulated well because for sure there are some out there that are very good shooters with perfect muzzles, one has to search well and he /she will for sure find one.

I will recommend going with another make simply because the Sabattis are built light for the 500NE.

Biebs suggestions is a very good one.

Best regards

Malek

Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Westley richards USA has two used 500s for sale one droplock and one fixed lock. Very pricey but top quality rifles.

http://www.westleyrichards.com/index2.html

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think one of those WR's is a re-do.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That Heym PH on Guns International would be the ticket. I would want to know what it was regulated with and how it shoots, but looks like a good start. I like the 26" barrels.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's the same one as on Gun Broker. Looks like a nice rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sam (srose) who designed the CBE 13 mono solid bullet has a Greifelt 500 that he wanted to sell. I have shot that rifle & it handles well (not that I know anything about DRs). It is a pre WW2 rifle in very good condition.

Sam is away in Norway at the moment. I am not able to find his thread on the rifle in the AR forum but here are some pics of the rifle. I am sure sam will not mind...

I am not sure if it is an ejector rifle. It has the bases for claw mounts but I do not remember a scope for it. It was regulated by JJ Perdue at Champlins, if I recall.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an ejector gun but has lots of nice things about it. Chopper lumps,light weight at 9lbs12ozs,claw mounts,express sights and shoots well. There is some question of whether it is a full nitro gun or not because of the Henry rifling. The Greifelt catalog says it was made for the stongest nitro calibers including 450,470,and 500. Need a German expert to tell us what it is. It has shot many full nitro loads and is still tight on face,almost too tight. Nakihunter shot it with full 570 grain loads.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, what country is your friend in?

Does he want a basic no frills 500, or one with some engraving, nice wood etc.

When does he have to have it for his Safari?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saaed,

I don't have a used one in stock at the present, however, there are a couple of new Merkels available depending on which grade he would want. Let me know if I can be of help.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

I had a call from a friend who is off to Tanzania for his safari.

He is interested in buying a 500 side by side with ejectors.

Any suggestions of where he should look, or if any of you knows of one for sale, please let me know.

I am told that in the end of this week, George at Champlin Arms will have a $30.000 (price when new) Austrian double coming in, but asking will be just over half that.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Looked at Butch Searcy's website and noted in Guns for Sale that he has one of his 500 NE, built in 2009, a Classic model listed at $18K.

Suggest you or your man give Butch a call and talk about it...

www.searcyent.com

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote