THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Butch Tends To Build Them How He Likes Them
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butch Tends To Build Them How He Likes Them
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And He has dam good Taste if I do say so myself.

I would like to show you guys my first double:
  • Searcy Classic
  • 450 3 1/4 NE
  • 24"bbl
  • 10.5 lbs
  • left hand

I went to SCI Last year in Reno hell bent on buying a double. Tried them all, decided on a Searcy. I sat down with Butch and immediately got the impression he would take care of me. He did and makes one hell of a nice gun. Originally it was going to be a field grade in 450 and a stalking rifle in 375. Although that would have been an excellent combo this was going to be my only chance for a long time to buy a really nice gun. My grandfather passed last year and left me $10,000 so it defiantly softened the financial blow. My grand father would have approved of Butch and loved My new Rifle! I probably should have put the cash on the mortgage but WTF eh.

Fits me like a glove, did the fitting in person and it didn't take him long either. So I went back three times just to make sure. The third time I went back before I could open my mouth Butch just held up his finger and said "Kelly.... I got you figured out". Apparently he did.

I hope you guys enjoy:

This is going to be my moose hunting set up:

These are the first two shots ever taken with the rifle 25 yds full house loads 500grn softs. Yes it was a total fluke if the fifty shots afterwards (not in one day) are any indication. This is my first big bore and I got very exited during range sessions blasting away. Did not take my time and did not take notes. I'm going to the range tomorrow and will post a proper range report.

•  
    Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of dpcd
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, no doubt, he builds very nice, and very accurate DRs. (I have one in 450 as well) What is that stuff on top of the recoil pad?

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Looks like a leather covered pad.
    Butch does very nice work. I'm waiting on a lightly engraved .470 NE myself. I bet it shoots just as well as my .500 NE

Nice looking rifle. Congratulations and a fine choice.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Yup leather covered pad.
    As you can probably tell I'm still pretty exited about the gun. I've had it for about six months. Lots of fun.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Mike Brooks
    posted Hide Post
    That's a very nice rifle! I suspect that your Grandfather is tickled with what you've done.
    Congrats! tu2

NRA Life
    ASSRA Life
    DRSS

Today's Quote:
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    So did you get the Stalking rifle built as well? I'm interested in one of those at the moment myself.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Sorry Todd no, not in the budget I'm afraid.

One of Us
    Picture of subsailor74
    posted Hide Post
    For sure Butch is a great guy, and he builds truly fine rifles. My stable of Searcy rifles consists of a Deluxe Boxlock in.470NE, a Classic in 450/400 3"NE, and a stalking rifle in 9.3x74R. I also have a double on the way in .375 Flanged Magnum that Butch is building on a Webley screw grip action. Assuming the engraving on it completes in another couple of weeks, I should have it by the end of January.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of JDA-CO
    posted Hide Post
    Dang… Ya'll are killing me… I keep telling myself that I would just bang it up so I need to stick with my Merk's...

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Wonderful classic caliber and very nice build!

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by JDA-CO:
    Dang… Ya'll are killing me… I keep telling myself that I would just bang it up so I need to stick with my Merk's...

Ive banged it up quite a bit already, including ripping the protective coating off the bottom of the receiver (scotch taped my scope on to test the fit before ordering rings)not one of my finer moments. Its a hunting rifle although it hurts its going to get banged up more.

One of Us
    Picture of dpcd
    posted Hide Post
    Scope? On a 450 NE? There are differing opinions on that. For DG; probably not. Or maybe. For moose; yes.
    I see the pad now; those are wrinkles in the leather.
    One thing about Searcys that has not been mentioned is that he builds them as did the old English makers; with fat breeches and skinny muzzles, putting the weight "between the hands". Unlike some modern rifles designed around chrome moly steel where you can have skinny breeches and straight barrels; balance is not the same. Krieghoff is a good example of this. For those who have not handled a Searcy, you should experience it.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by dpcd:
    Scope? On a 450 NE? There are differing opinions on that. For DG; probably not. Or maybe. For moose; yes.
    I see the pad now; those are wrinkles in the leather.

I plan on trying to get a regulating load with 400 grn pills for North American hunting. The scope will not be primary as I prefer the irons right now. I think it adds versatility and was not intended for DG. I haven't sighted the scope in yet.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Hi Todd,

I looked at Butch's stalking rifle at the last SCI. WOW!! Pointed like a fine 28 bore shotgun. Makes my Ruger #1's feel like a fenceposts. I'm in the same market also.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Excellent rifle and nice to see another true lefty rifle.
    Butch has the fitting thing down to a science. I gave him the measurements he requested and my 450 NE fits me like a glove. Supplied the exact same measurements to a different builder and the rifle fit like a Chapuis with the annoying high comb.

If Butch ever offers his $8750 special again I would be mighty tempted to order a 500 NE. One never knows how much bigger those killer squirrels can get.

A DR makes a fine moose rifle. My Chapuis 9,3x74R accounted for the last two I killed and one was lazered at just over 280 yards away.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    ..at some point I'm going to see if Butch will build a set of 12 ga barrels for my Classic...that'll make a beautiful combo piece and add no telling how much value to the set.

A wood presentation case is something I've been mulling over too. But I'd want it for a two barrel set gun.

One of Us
    Picture of Chris Lozano
    posted Hide Post
    Great looking rifle.
    I have the same rifle in the right hand version. Big Grin

When you get used to it ,the first two shots you showed will be your target. Mine shoots just like that(if i do my part)

Congrats on a great purchase beer

Posts: 758 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Excellent rifle

Left handed

I am envious

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Use Enough Gun
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, Butch does build an accurate double rifle. tu2 I love my 450-400 and he's currently building me the twin to subsailor's 375 H&H screw grip action. Big Grin

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
    That's a very nice rifle! I suspect that your Grandfather is tickled with what you've done.
    Congrats! tu2

Thanks Mike it means allot, I imagine he is.

One of Us
    Picture of D R Hunter
    posted Hide Post
    Best wishes for you to enjoy your new rifle to
    the utmost! May it provide the very finest service
    as the decades roll along...

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by D R Hunter:
    Best wishes for you to enjoy your new rifle to
    the utmost! May it provide the very finest service
    as the decades roll along...

Cheers and thank you very much.

One of Us
    Picture of eagle27
    posted Hide Post
    Nobody seems willing to ask the question, what's happen to the leather covered pad. Very first photo appears to show no wrinkles, all the rest look awful. That is not good workmanship. Also the rear view photo of the pad seems to show blemishes where the screws would be?

Very nice double but I would not be happy with that pad looking like that.

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Congrats on a nice rifle. I like the color combination between the light brown yellowish wood and the darker color case hardened steel.

I am about to visit the VC factory in France and I am thinking of that caliber you have chosen. Any excperience with that caliber or any reason for chosing 450 NE ?

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of D R Hunter
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Norwegian:
    ...any reason for chosing 450 NE ?

Morten

Respectfully I submit as an "outsider":

1- Expert wildcatter Ed Hubel here asserts that
    non-bottlenecked cases inherently tend to last
    longer, 450 NE is an example
    2- .458" diameter bullets can be had very easily
    from many manufacturers
    3- Classic elephant round generating about 5000
    FPE at the muzzle with 480 grain bullet at 2150
    FPS
    4- Brass available from Hornady and a number of
    other manufacturers
    5- Brass is the same basic foundation as 450/400
    3.25" and 475 NE" so usable in diverse ways
    6- Great history attached to it, as it became the
    benchmark elephant round as soon as it was loaded
    with cordite, (as a black powder round it was a
    favorite DEER round)
    7- Rifles using this brass may be built slimmer
    than those in 500/450 NE, 470 NE, 450 #2 NE,
    475 #2 NE, all of which deliver about the same
    energy to the animal being shot

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by eagle27:
    Nobody seems willing to ask the question, what's happen to the leather covered pad. Very first photo appears to show no wrinkles, all the rest look awful. That is not good workmanship. Also the rear view photo of the pad seems to show blemishes where the screws would be?

I dont know I have nothing to compare it to, there are holes in the back side where the screws go into the pad.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by D R Hunter:
    quote:
    ...any reason for chosing 450 NE ?

Morten

Respectfully I submit as an "outsider":

1- Expert wildcatter Ed Hubel here asserts that
    non-bottlenecked cases inherently tend to last
    longer, 450 NE is an example
    2- .458" diameter bullets can be had very easily
    from many manufacturers
    3- Classic elephant round generating about 5000
    FPE at the muzzle with 480 grain bullet at 2150
    FPS
    4- Brass available from Hornady and a number of
    other manufacturers
    5- Brass is the same basic foundation as 450/400
    3.25" and 475 NE" so usable in diverse ways
    6- Great history attached to it, as it became the
    benchmark elephant round as soon as it was loaded
    with cordite, (as a black powder round it was a
    favorite DEER round)
    7- Rifles using this brass may be built slimmer
    than those in 500/450 NE, 470 NE, 450 #2 NE,
    475 #2 NE, all of which deliver about the same
    energy to the animal being shot

All of the reasons above.

I was stuck on 375 fl, 450-400 and 450 NE for quite a while flip flopping back and forth. I still want a 375 but decided I wanted something with more power and a true NE caliber. As for the 450-400 (which I think is an excellent cartridge) I just thought I could load down the 450 (400grn bullets) using the 75% rule, and have the best of both worlds. Maybe it will work maybe not I haven't tried yet.

I had allot of help form the members on this forum deciding caliber.

One of Us
    Picture of dpcd
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, and I chose the 450 as well for all the above reasons, EXCEPT; you do not get a smaller framed rifle in this case; Searcy frames are very large. That is why the rifle balances between the hands and has very light muzzles. The wrinkles in the pad? I mentioned those way up in the posts.

One of Us
    Picture of Mike Brooks
    posted Hide Post
    Double BC, you'll be able to use the 75% rule with the 450 NE also. Just use the readily available 350 grn Hornady's or others. They work fine.

NRA Life
    ASSRA Life
    DRSS

Today's Quote:
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of JDA-CO
    posted Hide Post
    I don't think the leather wrapped pad looks bad. I think it's at least equivelant to others I've seen. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of them and probably wouldn't order one anyways.

Again... Beautiful gun - Nice job Butch!

One of Us
    Picture of eagle27
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Double BC:
    quote:
    Originally posted by eagle27:

I dont know I have nothing to compare it to, there are holes in the back side where the screws go into the pad.

Yes there will be holes through the pad where the mounting screws go but in a well fitted pad the screw holes are usually almost invisible slits or some pads use plugs to fill the holes, again can be virtually invisible. With respect those wrinkles on the pad look awful, you wouldn't accept something like that in a car with leather trim. Personally a nice orange or red Silvers or Pachmayr pad without leather and invisible screw holes would really finish your gun.
    That's only my thoughts, each to their own.

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    The leather pad is just not of the standard you would expect. I have seen them done on VC, WR and H&H and they do not have any wrinkles!
    A silvers or pachmayer would have been far better in this instance.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of McKay
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by nickh:
    The leather pad is just not of the standard you would expect. I have seen them done on VC, WR and H&H and they do not have any wrinkles!
    A silvers or pachmayer would have been far better in this instance.

Nick

Agreed. The one JJ did on a Merkel I just sold was proper looking.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I also have a Searcy 470 NE Classic, however due to shoulder problems that arose after it was ordered it has never been fired and is being offered for sale along with accessories and other necessaries. It is listed in the AR Classifieds.
    I love the rifle but due to shoulder reconstruction was only able to dry fire it after it arrived. It was the rifle Butch used as a showpiece at Reno.

Bob Nisbet
    DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
    Temporarily Displaced Texan
    If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Agreed! I do not think, for five times the $$$, that you can get a better quality double rifle than Butch builds. And, if it matters at all, he builds them in Boron, CA. That's American made!

I would love to have another one, but Africa keeps calling me...

The Searcy gets delayed another year.

Good Man, and a good product.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Fjold
    posted Hide Post
    I am so jealous!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
    - Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Visited the VC factory yesterday. Went for the 450 NE. When back home I am going to post some pictures.

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of husky
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Visited the VC factory yesterday. Went for the 450 NE. When back home I am going to post some pictures.

tu2

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of fla3006
    posted Hide Post
    +2

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
    Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote