Find
Notify
Tools

1st Double Rifle
 Login/Join

Picture of JWoodford
posted
Gents,

I am in the market for a double rifle. I love the allure, the look, the bang!

Initially I want a wonder gun which can cover all bases of big/dangerous game. I say initially since once I acquire one, I'm certain I'll want a new & improved/different one in the future.

Any suggestions???

I'm leaning towards a Kreighoff Classic Big Five in 470NE

Thx

Posts: 4 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JW
I would take a look at the Krieghoff, the Chapuis, the Merkel, the Heym, and the Searcy.

Get the one you like the best. All of them are good servicable rifles.

470 is a great calibre, however if you like the Krieghoff take a look at the 500/416.

A scoped [with QD mounts] 500/416 would be a great allround double.

Some people do not like the cocking feature on the Krieghoff. I regulary use a similar system on my Blaser R 93 bolt and on my Blaser K 95 single shot. I like it. I have handled and shot the Krieghoff doubles and I would have no problem with the cocking device.

If you get a Krieghoff in 500/416 or a 470 then all you ned is another Krieghoff double in 9,3x74R.

That would be a perfect pair for sure.
I would also get a set of 20 guage bbls fitted to the 9,3 reciever.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the first one, I'd recommend the Heym.

The Krieghoff cocking system isn't for everyone. I intensely dislike it. Also, the Heym and the Merkel handle better in the larger calibers.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gun powder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Gotta go with Tony on this one. The Krieghoff cocking system is either hated or loved by shooters.

I own the Classic Big Five in 500/416 and it is a great all around rifle. I added a set of 9.3x74R barrels to it this year. This was a great addition. The cocking system has been no problem for me at all.

Both went to Mozambique, the 500/416 was used on the Buff and the 9.3 on a bushbuck. Later used in the woods at home on white tails. (Both are topped with scopes on Krieghoff pivot mounts.)

To me the handling on this rifle is like the handling of my fine English shotguns despite the increased weight. Balances and swings well. Both calibers are very accurate.

The Classic has become one of those rifles that will remain in my safe for as long as I can shoot and hunt.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChopperGuy:
The Krieghoff cocking system is either hated or loved by shooters.

Correct. A few love the cocking system. Most don't, and that's why it isn't a good choice for a first DR.

A hunting partner has one in .500/.416, with extra barrels in .375 Flanged Magnum and 7X65R, as well as 20 gauge. It handles reasonably well in .375 and 7X65R, poorly in .500/.416, terribly in .470 and .500.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep that money is the good old US of A...buy a Searcy in 470NE with an extra set of 9.5x74R barrels and hunt the world. Yes, 9.5 x 74R...ask Butch.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct. A few love the cocking system. Most don't, and that's why it isn't a good choice for a first DR.

Maybe that makes it the perfect choice for the first time user. That way they are completely used to its form and function from the start.

Being a lefty, I have preferred double and single shot shotguns and rifles for a very long time. I am used to a tang sliding safety. The Krieghoff was a natural for me. Again, personal experience speaking, not claiming expert advice.

If it works for someone, great. I'm not advocating either way. As has been stated here before - Use what you are practiced, competent and confident with. That's much more important than the mechanical make up of the tool being used.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the krieghoff safety cocker takes some getting used to

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Actually, the Krieghoff cocking system will work better for a first time double rifle owner than old dogs like us. We are programmed to the old system, and must break old habits to make the K system work flawlessly, where the new guy only has to learn to change triggers from the way he shoots his bolt rifle! IOW, it's easier to learn something, when you don't have to
UN-LEARN something else! Wink

I don't like the system, but I could live with it! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JW
Do not neglect the Blaser S2 SAFARI
- not "sexy"
- not "traditional"

OK, but it is a really new and innovative technology; although rather conservative, I was astonished by this "rifle designed and built by engineers".
Certainly an "Audi" or a "Mercedes" are nor as sexy as an aston martin or a ferrari, but the german technology works very well, and at reasonable prices.

Before byuing a double, try it......

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frog:
JW
Do not neglect the Blaser S2 SAFARI
- not "sexy"
- not "traditional"

OK, but it is a really new and innovative technology; although rather conservative, I was astonished by this "rifle designed and built by engineers".
Certainly an "Audi" or a "Mercedes" are nor as sexy as an aston martin or a ferrari, but the german technology works very well, and at reasonable prices.

Before byuing a double, try it......

jumping jumping jumping

Compareing a Blazer to Audi, Mercedes,Ferreri, and Aston Martin, because they are both made from steel, Is like compareing a turd to a cheese log, because they are both from food! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your money would be best spent on a conventional double rifle which does not have features required to comply with german hunting regulations - ergo - the combi cocking devices.

a merkel 470 can be had quite cheaply at this time. but when they dry up they will be as expensive as the heym and the krieghoff. you can get one for $8,000 or so and they are a wonderful shooting rifle.

you can also get one of these 9,3 that they are talking about under $4,000 from chapius and there are some merkel 9,3 in the classifieds at $4,600.

but delaying means missing the train !
act now or regret it later. good luck to you

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote