Find
Notify
Tools

Double sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What about a peep sight on a double?

On lever actions you can shoot pretty darn good groups with a good peep.

Any reason a peep couldn't be put on a double that folded or was other wise not real noticeable. So as to not take away from it's traditional looks.

I just think a double with nice iron sights is soooo good looking! I'm not a big fan of the looks of a double with a scope.Even though it would be very practical. The peep would always be there if needed.I'm not knocking any one using a scope. In not even saying I wouldn't use one my self. It's just that it breaks up the beautiful lines.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have owned double rifles and drillings which had delightful peep sights inlet into the top tang. they were non-adjustable but seemed like they would work if you removed the rear sight.

the last one i owned was a thomas bland in cal 318WR. sold it to a gunsmith in apollo pa. his research indicates it was sold to a mr. bell....

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I too, like the clean look of a double with express sights. I think that is the reason most do not use a scope on a double, not for practical reasons.

Most have the idea of a a QD scope on a double backwards! The rifle is carreid most of the time with irons only, and the scope attached only when needed. That is the reverce of a bolt rifle where the scope in the primary sight, and the scope is removed when needed,to use the irons, or to change type of scope for a special purpose. This last reason also applies to the double. The change could be to a lighted scope for shooting in poor light, say for a Leopard over bait, or a veriable for a very precice, or long shot!

I would love to have scope capability on all my double rifles, for those special times when my old eyes simply will not cut it! I see no sin in scopeing a double rifle, as long as it is properly done! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my Searcy I managed to talk Butch into putting a (modified) Tally peep on it. I'm a bit older and have one hell of a time seeing the rear site with "express sites". The peep works great though and is removable if need be.

It's faster and every bit as accurate as the "normal" express setup, at least for me. No, it's more so as I don't have to try and find the rear site Big Grin which I can't really see.

No way I'd put a scope on a 500 though thumbdown

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to take a chance with regulation problems, and hating to change the balance of my 348 double but needing an alternative to the open rear sight, I put a peep rear on instead of a scope. I love it. The regular rear sight had all folding leaves so I just fold them all down and use the peep. The peep is adjustable for windage and I just changed the front sight to correct the elevation. I will put it up against most scope sighted bolt rifles at 100 yards.

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote