THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Question: Insuring Double Rifles or What?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: Insuring Double Rifles or What?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When I fly to hunting trips to Africa or Alaska, I do not bother to insure my rifles. Of course, my bolt rifles are worth about $1,200 max., including the scope. So far I've never lost one.

But now I'm considering getting a double. What do you do about your $10,000 or $20,000 double rifle? Just hope it doesn't get lost or do you insure it? If the latter, what's the best way?

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indy
I got an apprasial on my doubles and went to my Insurance company and got a replacement policy
that was good for ANY loss, for ANY reason, ANYWHERE on the Planet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
When I fly to hunting trips to Africa or Alaska, I do not bother to insure my rifles. Of course, my bolt rifles are worth about $1,200 max., including the scope. So far I've never lost one.

But now I'm considering getting a double. What do you do about your $10,000 or $20,000 double rifle? Just hope it doesn't get lost or do you insure it? If the latter, what's the best way?

Insure it and hope it doesn't get lost or damaged.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans Insurance located in Ormond Beach Florida is the best I've found, full replacement, etc. SCI gives them a thumbs up, in fact you can call SCI and they can give you their phone number.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Indy:

I don't know where you are located but if you are an NRA member, you can buy ArmsCare insurance that will provide you with replacement value coverage on all your firearms. I just renewed my policy. I can't quite recall but I think they require an appraisal on anything over $20,000 or something like that.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could probably get a low cost rider on your homeowners insurance policy.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
YOur homeowners insurance policy will cover automatically for up to usually 10,000 anywhere in the world. Beyond that, either provide a purchase receipt or an appraisal to them and they will schedule your firearm for any amount anywhere in the world at replacement cost. A $20,000 firearm should cost you under $500 per year.

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most homeowners policies have more restrictive terms on certain items -- art, jewelry and firearms -- unless they are "listed." i.e., costs more. I'd check into coverage through your homeowner's carrier and SCI and the NRA and figure out how was the most cost effective. But I wouldn't travel without it. (I make my living litigating insurance coverage disputes -- commercial for the most part and about a lot more than the price of a double rifle, but the loss would be significant to me. So this is just my thoughts -- does not constitute legal advice, etc., etc.)

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote