New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget in 450-400
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wright lists several cast bullet loads for the 450-400 3" in his new book. Anybody using
Varget for practice loads (or regular loads for that matter) in the 450-400? Any pro's or con's?

He lists: 60 grains Varget with a 400 grain cast bullet for 2000 fps.

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Varget and RL 15 have very similar burn rates. Varget is supposedly a more stable pouder. Have thought about trying it in my doubles but figured why? I have damn near 40 pounds of RL15. I have thought about trying the new RL17 though. Slightly bulkier and maybe you would not need a filler...
Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using 70 gr. RL#15 with no filler behind a 400 gr. Woodleigh softnose at 2118 fps.
No Problems, I know RL#15 is temperature neutral, not sure about Varget. This is in a 450/400 NE. 3in. K-Gun double rifle. Regulates very well and no recoil IMO compared to the previous load of 81 gr H4831SC at only 2040 fps.
RL#15 Less powder more speed same regulation
Why switch

Good luck and good shooting
Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
I know RL#15 is temperature neutral, not sure about Varget.
Tetonka

Tetonka, Varget is one of those powders that is not temperature sensitive at all, very stable, one of the best out there. Only problem is that you will loose some velocity with the Varget in comparison to R15 or both the Hog and IMR 4350 powders unless you up the charge.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote