New
Find
Notify
Tools

D/G rifle scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am having recknagel mounts put on my 500NE heym double, and am undecided as to scopes. Something that will have good eye relief and stand the recoil. A good field of view is a must. Looking for 1,000 - 1,500 price range. Most likely 1.5 - 6 power. Does anyone have suggestions...

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
They are a little bulky compared to the smaller 1" scopes, but I really like the rail mount on the Swarovski Z6. The 1-6 range is good for a big-bore double.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 2 cents worth. I would not mount a scope on a 500 double. I know the Heym has intercepting sears etc and I know that the likely hood of it doubling is remote buuuuut if it does happen you are going to be SEVERELY injured. Trust me on this one. If you have to have a scope I would either opt for a scout scope configuration or a forward mounted red dot sight.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
If you are dead set on scoping your double, it's cool with me. We all know we see better with a scope, but for me personally, I am quicker and more accurate with a firm cheek weld. I would have to employ a raised comb to use a scope.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Nickel magnum or big game scope ,which is around that price range which maybe worth a look if you go to their website ,you have to buy direct from them

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chris. I bought a .500 Heym in Reno this year from him with rail Zeiss 1-6 in claw mounts. Scope will be kept in my back pocket or carried in lederbudel by tracker while ele hunting. Sole purpose is that if I see that kudu or sable of a lifetime at 150 yards or so, snap on the scope and "game over".

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:

my 2 cents worth. I would not mount a scope on a 500 double.

+1 thumb Save the scope for your 9.3X74R.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a removable scope on a Searcy 375 Flanged, and chose the Swarofski Z6I 1x6 EE with the circle dot reticle, as New Guy suggested in the above posting.

The rifle has a talley rib integrated on the barrels, and the scope has Talley Q/R rings. The rifle has a natural point with both the scope and open sights and the remounting of the scope is solid and repeatable.

The scope has great clarity and the circle dot reticle with illumination is great when the target is in shadows, dark in color as a Cape Buffalo, or in limited light.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I want this scope for the same reason as Donald Soter, hate to miss a nice sable or something because its too far for my open sights. Without a doubt the 500NE has enough power out to 300 yards for most thin skinned game if placed properly. I think the swarovski Z6i is an excellent choice.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Why is it that we keep trying to get these guns to do something they were not designed to do?? A 500 NE at 300 yards? Give me a break. If you shoot a 570 Woodleigh at 2100 fps and site it in at three inches high at 100 yards, it's dead on at 175 yards but it drops almost 20 inches at 300 yards. Most guys can't hold a three inch group at 50 yards with a .500. That translates into an eighteen inch group at 300 yards and that's not considering drop or wind. Only in the internet do we take a gun suited for STOPPING ELEPHANT, RHINO AND BUFFALO and try and turn it into a long range sniper. If you are going to hunt plains game AND dangerous game, for gosh sakes bring along a rifle more suited for plains game.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what part of the world you are from but, for the cost of the scope on your double rifle you could buy a second rifle.

On the cheap end, get a Remington, Ruger, or CZ bolt gun in the caliber of choice and add a mid-range scope.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle is not meant for long range and I may have been exaggerating the 300 yards but it is capable of giving a hell of a punch even at that distance. I do have several other rifles for plans game including 300 WB, 340 WB, 338 win mag as well as 264 win mag, but the idea is I will only be carrying one at a time. This scope is only a backup if need arises. The recknagel mounts are very good mounts and quick to install or remove. They are being installed by Martini & Hagn Gunmakers; I will post a picture of the whole unit when it is completed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually not a bad idea. Sight the scope in for the most accurate barrel/ best trigger. Keep it off the gun. If you put the scope on the gun take the cartridge out of the non-expected to fire barrel and have at it as a long range single shot.

In fact you never know what elephant hunting is going to present you with. I have had a situation where the only shot that I had on an pac elephant on the last few hours of the last hunting day was a side brain shot through a little tunnel through thick brush at about 45 yrds. I would not have attempted that shot with out a scope. presented with that situation, you silently open the action, take out a shell, slip the scope on and precisely place that 570 grainer with in an inch or two of where you want it....

If you double that 500 with the scope on it your hunt is over right then and there and you are going to be on the sat phone looking for a way to get antibiotics and some one who can sew you up so you don't look like the bride of Frankenstein. Eeker

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith recommended a Kahles C 1.1 -4 x 24 an excellent scope but I choose the swarovski due to the extra eye relief.The Kahles is 3.5 in. as compared to the EE model @ 4.72 in.; I don't care to get any uglier than I am now. Don't care to wear all that recoil on my face.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've a Swarovski 1,25-4x24 in claw mounts on my FN-Browning CCS 25 in 9,3x74R. This combo is lightning fast and very deadly for drive hunting Wild boars.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote