THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    450 BPE Help with loads and dies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 BPE Help with loads and dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys!

I have just bought a DsD in 450 BPE and I am about to have reregulated to Kynoch smokeless for BP loads due to hunting regulations here in Sweden.

However I will start to load this round to asap, and I wonder about things like dies, bullets, brass and loads.

Please advice.

Best regards Chris.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
contact dave davison

dave@ch4d.com

he can help you with EVERYTHING !

including loading data

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet I have been in contact with him before regarding my 360-9,3x57R Nitro..

However is there any one here that uses a 45o BPE and can tell mee more about there rifles..

/Chris

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Chris: I had a Ruger No. 1 in .458 rechambered to .450 3 1/4 NE, which should be the same dimensions. I found an old early 1960s set of RCBS dies and used HDS cases from Huntingtons. I think this is one of those rounds that came with thin and thick rims, so be sure you know the rim thickness for your rifle before you buy your brass.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK those are great news bill, there are som 20 pieces of brass that comes with the rifle, I will have to mike them.

According to what I have read the 450 NE is the one with the thicker rim to prevent wrongful discharge in a BPE rifle, Have you sold the
Nr 1?

Die as well?

Thanks for all the input, Chris

posted Hide Post
Chris,
I've got a 450 BPE (for sale several posts below this one on this site) that I've only used with BP as mine was never proofed "nitro for black" Not sure that matters as the BP works just fine here, and I didn't want the sharper recoil on 125 year old slender wrist on the stock. A number of these were made with damascus barrels so be careful. I have both original BP and nitro brass all with the thin rims, about .0035. Have also used Bertram brass. Until you get dies you can neck size and bell with 45-70 dies. I've been using 120 gr Swiss 1 1/2 or 2f wirh a 300gr cast gas check bullet. Stops a deer or feral pig cold. A shame your game laws wont allow something that shoots a 300gr bullet at 1900fps.
Have fun.
Joe

Posts: 2 | Location: Roanoke VA | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey Joe!

Great tread, good help, i know but it´s a result of older statutes of lae here in Sweden, ie the authorities belive that BP is weak and wont kill, hence the need for smokeless loads.

I will post pics later this month if everything works out.

/Best regards Chris.

quote:
Originally posted by Hey Joe:
Chris,
I've got a 450 BPE (for sale several posts below this one on this site) that I've only used with BP as mine was never proofed "nitro for black" Not sure that matters as the BP works just fine here, and I didn't want the sharper recoil on 125 year old slender wrist on the stock. A number of these were made with damascus barrels so be careful. I have both original BP and nitro brass all with the thin rims, about .0035. Have also used Bertram brass. Until you get dies you can neck size and bell with 45-70 dies. I've been using 120 gr Swiss 1 1/2 or 2f wirh a 300gr cast gas check bullet. Stops a deer or feral pig cold. A shame your game laws wont allow something that shoots a 300gr bullet at 1900fps.
Have fun.
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, .450 3.25" BPE, .450 3.25" Nitro for Black, and .450 3.25" Nitro Express were all .042" rim. The thick rim .450 was a basic case used for other cartridges. The difference has nothing to do with Nitro vs Black.

Nitro for Black proof and black powder proof are exactly the same. It's nitro FOR black. Nitro for Black loads were SPECIFICALLY intended for use in rifles proved only for black, and were loaded with Cordite to produce black powder pressures. Any BPE that was sound enough to be safe to fire with black was safe to fire with Nitro for Black loads.

With equivalent loads, black pounds the stock head harder than nitro.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Chris: The No. 1 and the dies went away a couple of years ago. Sorry.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
What 400NE said, except that Nitro-for-Black loads invariable produce less pressure than equivalent Black Powder loads.

According to the 1910-11 Eley catalogue, the .450 x 3 1/4 NE turned up around 11 tons with the BP load and a 270gr lead bullet, whereas the 'factory' N-for-B load of the day used 45gr of smokeless powder to launch a 365gr metal-base bullet at pressures below 10 tons.

Modern reloads using 52gr IMR4198 will launch a 350gr lead bullet at 1930fps with only 7.5 tons of pressure, according to Graeme Wright. The same load with a jacketed bullet produced 8.2 tons, still well below the 11 tons produced by the Black Powder load.

Shooting Nitro-for-Black in these old rifles is actually doing them a big favour!

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shot a 450 3 1/4 In. BPE for some time. I used IMR 3031 powder 60 grains, Bell Brass, CCI 200 primers, 350 grain Hornaday RN and a 1/8 cork wad. They shot to POI in that double. I got my dies from RCBS. I have since sold the whole pack and regret it every day. I would start lower with the powder. I was told that the old BPE were regulated with a light bullet.I wish you luck.

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Ontario Canada | Registered: 27 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marrakai:
What 400NE said, except that Nitro-for-Black loads invariable produce less pressure than equivalent Black Powder loads.

According to the 1910-11 Eley catalogue, the .450 x 3 1/4 NE turned up around 11 tons with the BP load and a 270gr lead bullet, whereas the 'factory' N-for-B load of the day used 45gr of smokeless powder to launch a 365gr metal-base bullet at pressures below 10 tons.

Modern reloads using 52gr IMR4198 will launch a 350gr lead bullet at 1930fps with only 7.5 tons of pressure, according to Graeme Wright. The same load with a jacketed bullet produced 8.2 tons, still well below the 11 tons produced by the Black Powder load.

Shooting Nitro-for-Black in these old rifles is actually doing them a big favour!

I was referring to proof standards, but you're correct, of course.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote