Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Spartan Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted
There are a number of Remington/Spartan/Baikal owners out here at AR. I have the 45/70. My question is has anyone tried/found a simple way to safely remove the bogus painted "Remington" from the receiver and the ultra-bogus attorney-inspired legal warning from the barrels? I"m guessing a paint remover but I would hate to try one only to discover it removes blueing, too.

Thanks,
Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
"I" wpuld be more interested in better triggers and action work. myself.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
paint remover will remove the bluing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sarg: did you have any problem regulating your 45-70? ihave mine shooting 2 in. apart but the left barrel is 4 in. high. i tried shimming the rt. barrel but doesnt make any diff. im shooting a 405 gr. lead rn. bullet with 30 gr. of imr 4198@1350 fps any suggestions? regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got mine regulated in 10 rds using Hornady 325gr FTX box ammo. The first turn on that regulating wheel I went the wrong way, but after correcting it put two rds each into 2in circles @ 25yds. One pair was touching; went to 50yds and put a pair into 3in circle.

The pairs started opening up quickly after those 10 rds so I punched the bores out well and it went right back. Fouling seems to have a quick effect in my rifle.

I've put a few 405gr Remmy's through but with the regulating with the 325's, the Remmy's didn't do well. I'll keep playing with it.

"The heroes are dead but not all the dead are heroes."

Posts: 89 | Location: MT | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
big-foot: thanks ill try reloading some 325s to factory specs. regards

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
"I" wpuld be more interested in better triggers and action work. myself.

Keith

Did that before I even took it out for the first time to shoot.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usps:
sarg: did you have any problem regulating your 45-70? ihave mine shooting 2 in. apart but the left barrel is 4 in. high. i tried shimming the rt. barrel but doesnt make any diff. im shooting a 405 gr. lead rn. bullet with 30 gr. of imr 4198@1350 fps any suggestions? regards

Had it out to the range once. Unfortunately, the Ohio DNR facility where I must go does not allow any rifles on the 25 yd range - pistols only. Wish I could start at 25 then back up to 50. After boresighting, the left (fixed) barrel is right on with the sights at 50 yds but the right (floating) barrel is off somewhere in na-na land - totally off the paper. I played with the jackscrew but, after 20 rnds of factory 405's, the shoulder was starting to feel it. I haven't been back to the range yet for another session.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Still looking for a safe way to remove that paint.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how did you dress the triggers?

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usps:
how did you dress the triggers?

Gave it to a pro to do. Action work is one thing I won't touch. He couldn't get them perfect but they are a lot, LOT better then they were when I bought the rifle.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ill do that. but first ill have to find someone in the raleigh n. c. area. there is a member who has made a pattern for a replacement stock and forend with check piece 150.00 plain wood 300.00 semi-fancy. im toying with that also. regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey USPS

Have you had any luck with those 325s?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
USPS

Having any luck with those 325s?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
big foot: i havent been able to get to shoot the weather has been tough it has been raining continuassly.again today. we had 4in. in 1 hour one day. ill keep you posted.