New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE & RECOIL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the help & guidance of many people on this site, I purchased my Merkel 470 NE. I fired one box of factory ammo, Federal 500gr Woodleigh soft points.

Accumulated all my reloading equipment and started loading 108 gr H4831 SC.
Read in several places there is less recoil with RX 15 then with slow buring powder.

Loaded 2 rounds 108 gr H4831 & 2 rounds with 87 gr RX 15 with dacron filler & went to the range.
The 108 gr load DEFINATELY recoils more then the RX 15. The h4831 shot great, will see if the RX 15 will do the same

FYI

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D-Definite difference in recoil in the RL 15 loads and the 4831 loads!
I do not like to shoot my 416 Rigby with H4831 loads. I have thought about switching to RL 15 and dacron in the the 416 to make it less of a chore to shoot.
On the other hand if you like pain. A light 470 loaded to specs + with 4831 will give you a great deal of delight.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charge weight has a definite impact on recoil. It is included in the formula. I had two 416 Taylors and bought a Ruger Rigby, which was heavier. Recoil is much more pronounced with the Rigby. I believe this is largely due to the high charge weights. Filling that big case up to get velocity at low pressure is not without cost. The combination of the big case (and powder charges) along with about 200 fps more velocity make the Rigby the most uncomfortable big bore I own. I have a 458 single, a 458 Mauser, two Taylors, a 425 WR, and the Rigby. The Rigby is definitely the most punishing.

Any load which will develop the velocity with less powder will be the most comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gi!
I may be wrong here but you may be getting around 100 fps les velocity with that RL load. That is what I found in my 465 H&H when loading 89 grns. That may be why it kicks less.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
With my gun, 86 grains of RL-15 gives me almost idential velocity to the factory loads when I'm shooting softs. I use 86.5 grains when shooting solids. The factory loads fired at about 2135 fps for me and I load my own bullets to about the same point.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been using 91 gr of RL15 with no filler & having great success, no matter what bullet I stuff in front if it. I know some insist on a filler, but for various reasons I won't use one unless the case is very empty, and then even then it is used carefully

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gi:

So....87, 89, 86 and 91 grains RL15, a spread of five grains. Lot to lot density of cannister grade propellants isn't very consistent. In working back up to the same velocity with each new lot of RL 15 over the years, I've had that much difference between powder lots in the same double with all other components being the same. That's why you reduce and work back up over a chronograph each time you buy a new lot of the same powder. It's also why you're blind without a chronograph. Gi, if you were shooting those without one, I wouldn't suggest doing that again. Never start with a recommended load in a double anyway. Start below it and work up to it.

Years ago, I was loading ammo for one of my doubles just before leaving on a hunt. In that rifle I was using IMR 4350. When the can emptied before I was done, I went to get the last can (I had bought three of the same lot) and discovered I was out. I bought three more cans and, being in a hurry, loaded the same charge with the new lot that I had been using with the old - 51.5 grains. Not wanting any surprises far from home, I made a fast trip to the range, just to fire a few of the new lot over the chronograph. The velocity was 200 fps too low and the barrels were printing 4" wide. I really had to scramble to work back up with the new lot of 4350 in time. It took 56.5 grains of the new lot to duplicate 51.5 grains of the old. Trying to skip having to work back up with a new lot of powder was a real bonehead stunt and I've never done that again. I'm just glad I didn't get those two lots of powder in reverse order. It wouldn't take many mistakes like that to knock a fine double off-face in a hurry.

Once you settle on a powder for a double, buy a couple 5 lb kegs of it, making certain that the lot numbers on both are the same. It'll save you a lot of redevelopment over the years.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I need to buy a chronograph, which one? Years ago, i had an Ohler

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can spend a little or a lot. The Crony Beta works well enough for not much money.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can the white styrofoam, such as an ice chest, be used for a filler?

I am going to call Kynoch tomorrow and see if I can get some from then, if not I will probably try the white foam. I loaded some with dacron and don't like seing it coming out of barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
gi
I would not want to try ice chest styrofoam as a filler. Get some foam like is used in rifle cases. Cut it out with a 50 BMG case sharpened with a chamfer tool.

Just make sure the foam is long enough to be compressed between the powder and the bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
even better get your self the dense red foar used for house insulation and put a peice of paper between that and the wad to stop any chemical reaction between the powder and the wad.

thats what i use in my 700 nitro works great.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
I loaded some with dacron and don't like seing it coming out of barrel.

That is a little peculiar to see. Personally, I can't believe the stuff isn't incinerated… but somehow it’s not.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
&00 Nitro,

Your not talking about fiberglass I hope. That stuff is abrasive as hell.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOt fiberglass, just the stuff throw pillows are stuffed with.

I like the idea of 50 cal case sharpened to cut the foam

one of us
posted Hide Post
hell no not fiber glass.....

it s a hard dense styrofoam red in color you can find it at any homer dopot it thicknesses from 3/8 up to 2"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phew! I could only imagine the damage a wad of fiberglass could do blowing down the bore!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
heck if your gonna do do it right get some of that there fiber glass wadding roll it in jb bore past and blast ot down that barrel with 120 grains of bulls eye and a 500 grain bullet. Razzer

incase you coundt tell im joking.

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kynoch

Those Kynock wads really do work well. They're quick, easy, and give great consistency in your loads. I bought a bunch of them 2 years ago (600, I think). I had heard of most people simply using the Dacron from an upholstery store and bought a bunch of that, too. But after finding the Kynoch wads, I never used the Dacron as I was a bit unsure of how much to use or if I could consistently grab about the same amount for each bullet. The wads solve all that.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Where did you get the Kynoch wads?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
As I recall mine came in directly from Kynoch in the UK, but they do have a USA distributor now, I think. Try this link. I'm sure that if you called the number listed there they could tell you how to get them.

One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
Hi Spring,

Did you just tamp these wads into place?

Thanks

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Remember that these spongy wads are in the shape of a little cylinder and that they fit perfectly in the case mouth. They slide right down on to the powder, filling up the empty space. I usually push them in with the blunt end of a pen or pencil. The bullet then seats right above them, leaving no room for the powder to shake around. Of course I crimp the bullets as well. The result is a bullet that has its powder snug in the case and shoots very consistently since the load is the same from cartridge to cartridge, something that might be more difficult to accomplish if you used Dacron.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Poli-fil (dacron) for years,+ have'nt had any problems with inconsistency.I seat it lightly with a piece of dowel rod.Its natural consistency is to expand slightly.They've got it in the fabric dept.at Wal-Mart,etc.for a couple bucks a bag that will probably last a few years.Not abrasive + have'nt found any residue either.I use it mostly with cast bullets.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my Searcy, the 108 grs of IMR 4831 makes almost 2250 fps. I really don't think a Buf will be able to tell the difference between that and the 89-90 gr of RL-15 load that makes 2150 fps.

I use 5 grains of Dacron in the RL-15 loads and they are a bit more comfortable to shoot. I doubt though, that I'll notice the difference with a Buf under the front sight ;>Wink That has been the pattern of the past ... at the range I notice recoil some, but in the field it just is not at all obvious to me.

Haven't decided which load I'll take to Tanzania yet ... going to the range tomorrow to gather more data and practice with the sticks.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote