Find
Notify
Tools

A Delicate Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I have no idea how old Mr. Searcy is or how long he intends to continue building rifles but I was wondering, what happens to Searcy Rifles when Mr. Searcy is no longer with the company? Will the company continue? Mr. Searcy, feel free to weigh in here.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Existing ones are so well built that they will greatly outlast both the maker and their owners just like all the old English ones out there. As for new ones, Mr Searcy himself will have to answer that.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think people like Mr Searcy are unique, they are not easily duplicated. My grandfather was allot like him, of course with a different skill set.I think allot of people would fall short of Mr Searcy's expectations.
I purchased a rifle off Butch. All of my decision to buy a gun off butch had to do with sitting down and talking to the man. I really trusted that he had my best interest in mind. IMO after looking at his rifles in person , they just really got to the point, with some class. Just like Butch.
All I can hope for is that as long as he can pick up a tool his warranty is going to be good
and that is good enough for me.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcy is nearly 200 years old. But he's built like a Greek god all muscles and twisted steel. A picture of health and a sex symbol, women find him irresistible. He'll live at least another 100 years.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The same thing will happen that happens now with my vintage A. Hollis and Son British double rifle. I find someone like JJ at Champlins or Dustin Mounts in Houston!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying nothing until I get my .500 Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One doesn’t have to worry about a B. Searcy double rifle being around long after Butch or me or everyone posting on this thread is long gone! Just like any quality double rifle made anywhere, or by anybody, they will most time far out live the original owner, or the maker. Because of that longevity, there will always be a few folks who keep them shooting, as Rusty says like JJ, or Dustin. Till that day, Butch will back anything with his name on it, so don't sweat the small stuff!!

Of course Butch will be still building fine doubles long after I’m on the wrong side of the grass!
...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he was asking what happens to the company, not what will happen to the rifles. I think we all know that the rifles will keep on ticking along for a long time, but what will happen to the company? Has Butch abducted a couple of likely apprentices to keep the outfit going? That'd be my plan.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Butch Searcy is nearly 200 years old. But he's built like a Greek god all muscles and twisted steel. A picture of health and a sex symbol, women find him irresistible. He'll live at least another 100 years.

Wow.... You must be trying to get a discount on your next rifle. shocker

Butch is 200 years old and has a mind like a steel trap, a very rusty one. If by Greek god, you mean ancient, balding, and cantankerous, then you are spot on! He may just be ornery enough to live another 100 years though! popcorn

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all there is allot of gunsmiths out there that is qualified to work on my rifles. And if you can afford one of my rifles you can surely afford a gunsmiths hourly rate. And if there's someone out there that wants to buy me out and continue the business, it only requires allot of money and a willingness to learn the trade. If one of you rich guys out there would pony up the cash for h2oby he is qualified to carry on with this business. There are a couple more out there too.
At my age it is getting harder and harder to keep the women at bay. Wink
I'm here at the shop today to oversee some work on my sons corvette. Of course I'm not sure he's up yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corvette? Perk? Tell us moreSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At my age it is getting harder and harder to keep the women at bay. Wink

Oh, oh. Now THERE'S the first sign of senility :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
At my age it is getting harder and harder to keep the women at bay.

That's what my dad says; he has my mom, my sisters, and his lady doctor all badgering him about taking his meds!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3840 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oboy:
quote:

Butch is 200 years old and has a mind like a steel trap, a very rusty one. If by Greek god, you mean ancient, balding, and cantankerous, then you are spot on! He may just be ornery enough to live another 100 years though! popcorn

Sounds like a Greek god to me--

The Greek God Hephaestus
The Greek god Hephaestus (also known as Hephaistos) was the god of fire, metallurgy, and blacksmiths. Because of his great skills at metal crafting he was also the blacksmith of the gods, creating some of Greek mythology's greatest weapons and armor,

Hephaestus was the only Greek god or goddess who was disabled. He was born with a bad leg that he had trouble walking on, and was said to have been uglier than any of the other god

sofa

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh my god, I had no idea that Butch was also the same as the Dos Equis guy! Sweet!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife tells me that only the good die young. If that is the case, he'll be like me.......around for another 300 years. jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:
quote:
quote:

Oh my god, I had no idea that Butch was also the same as the Dos Equis guy! Sweet!

+1 for sure on that one!!! Big Grin

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Damn, that's good! Looks just like him! tu2 Butch took the corvette in trade for one of his rifles. Nice corvette-I've seen it in the back of his shop. And a Harley. And yes, Butch has at least another 100 plus years in him. Smiler He's definitely got a following of females! Many of them young ones at that! Big Grin LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Ernest Gilbert, we were talking about his little round body 450 3 1/4" I'm building for him, when he said how come you didn't post that you have two nephews working for you that will carry on the business. Well consider it done. Some of the questions that pop up does provide a little entertainment as we see above.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If the nephews are half as good as butch, they must be 100 years old! rotflmo

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Dang it Butch!
I hope to heck that my wife never reads that you're building me another rifle!

quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
I just got off the phone with Ernest Gilbert, we were talking about his little round body 450 3 1/4" I'm building for him, when he said how come you didn't post that you have two nephews working for you that will carry on the business. Well consider it done. Some of the questions that pop up does provide a little entertainment as we see above.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7698 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote