Find
Notify
Tools

CLEANING YOUR DOUBLE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Boretech Eliminator, best stuff I've found for both copper and carbon. Brush with nylon brush soaked in it a dozen strokes, let sit ten minutes. Patch wet until clean, then follow with half dozen dry patches.

On my tac rifles, I never clean the bores until accuracy is down, sometimes 1500 rounds on 308. Bench rest rifles, a lot more often, lightly after every relay. Hunting rifles, as needed for either accuracy loss (rarely) or environmental ( mud water etc.) much more often.

Very possible to damage crowns ( most often in my opinion) unless good techniques are practiced. Major accuracy fufu then.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 348 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
old The only CAUTION I want to make folks aware of is, double rifles are a whole different animal than single barreled rifles.

That being the case it is alright to fill the bore with the foam type copper dissolvers in a single barrel rifle and leave over night to work. However when dealing with a double rifle you must make sure you do not let this type of cleaner to come in contact with your solder joints and be left there for any length of time.

Cork the barrels and clean the outside of the barrels very clean, especially any place where it has come in contact with solder joints, or blueing.

................................................................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac

On that point, Graeme Wright did tests
on that with Wipe Out.

I also did tests without knowing he had
and only found out a few years ago.

We both use it on Double rifles.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That may be one advantage of using Gunslicks foaming cleaner. You only need to leave it in the barrels for 20 minutes. Never needed to repeat more than once.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Mac

on that with Wipe Out.

And what was his conclusion?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it didn't affect the metalwork.

I know he kept using it on his guns,
as did I.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought. I'm no chemist but I did wonder about the interaction of products like Wipeout, etc with other metals besides copper and brass. I wonder if anybody has contacted the manufacturer? I guess I can, but can you tell me specifically what the composition of that solder is before I pose the question?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge

Like most, I don't put just "anything" on
or in my DR's, although I must admit I did
with Sweets 7.62 because everybody else did
but Sweets was what got me to change to
something else.

No, I can't tell you the composition of the solder on any of the guns but it hasn't affected any of them, old or new.

Call him, he is very easy to talk to, I know I spoke with him about it a long time ago before I used it.

His name is Terry, his tel no is 785-883-4444.

FYI, I now use the Wipe Out Patch Out which is just a liquid
because it is easier to transport, no dangerous goods charges !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge the website that I posted earlier has a phone contact. Give yourself plenty of time as the gentleman will talk your ear off. rotflmo

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Mac

on that with Wipe Out.

I stand corrected on Wipe-Out! I don't recall the name of the first FOAM Copper/lead bore cleaner that came out, but you were supposed to fill the bore with the foam, and leave it overnight. I haven't used anything since, but the WARNING then was for soldered ribs on shotguns. Back in the sixties few folks in the USA had double barreled rifles!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard that warning.

Anyway, like Graeme I do my own tests !

The guy who makes Wipe Out, Terry - and all the other products - is a chemical genius.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Jorge the website that I posted earlier has a phone contact. Give yourself plenty of time as the gentleman will talk your ear off. rotflmo

I'm going to give him a call tomorrow. Oh! the bullets came today, THANKS! I'll get yours in the mail post-haste.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out is used by Heym in Germany.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks! that saved me a phone call! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge

I checked as I couldn't remember what he told
me all those years aho. He does have a degree
to do with chemicals (didn't quite hear what
he said but I think it was a B Sc).

I have used the stuff for over 10 years
and never had a problem with any of my
guns.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range and I've come to the conclusion my rifle LIKES it dirty. How typical of a French Flussie! Big Grin Smiler

First couple of double shots even with factory ammo went almost vertical on me, eventually either she or I settled down and they started grouping more horizontal. Another observation I've made is there is little difference in the groups between 25 and 50 yards. I guess I need to just run a couple of patches with Hoppe's, brush swab and oil and quit using Wipeout all the time!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Just got back from the range and I've come to the conclusion my rifle LIKES it dirty. How typical of a French Flussie! Big Grin Smiler

First couple of double shots even with factory ammo went almost vertical on me, eventually either she or I settled down and they started grouping more horizontal. Another observation I've made is there is little difference in the groups between 25 and 50 yards. I guess I need to just run a couple of patches with Hoppe's, brush swab and oil and quit using Wipeout all the time!

Jorge that is what I've always done! At the end of a hunt in good weather, or after a session of working up loads I run wet patches with Hoppe's wrapped around a brass bore brush through the bore several times, then several dry patches without the brush till the bore is dry and no staining is found on the last patch. Then wipe the grease off the baring surfaces and re-apply.

With that I find regulation never weavers!

On the new copper dissolvers, The early warning may have not been needed, but I simply didn't take the chance, and chose the old time tried and true methods ever since!

Like you I have found several of my rifles need to be shot a few rounds to foul the bore a little before they settle down after a cleaning.

...................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge and Mac.

Agree. I don't over clean my rifles,
especially if using them again soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The big bores really shed the copper so it needs to be cleaned with "Wipe Out" from time to time..Usually about two or three times a year for me.

In between I use a bore snake with a little Rem Oil on the copper brush area of the snake....

When I am hunting I use the bore snake and Rem Oil as the humidity in Africa can cause quick rusting at certain times of the year.

I always take the barrels off my double and clean them in a vise when using Wipe Out, not necessary in camp when using a little Rem Oil or WD40...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41997 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote