THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Question for those who use NFCP bullets and DR's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those who use NFCP bullets and DR's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
A question for those of you who load North Fork "Cup Point" bullets for your Double rifles.
How many grains on average do you need to down load to produce similar velocity's as your standard loads?
Regards,
Ad

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on caliber, North Fork says about 1 1/2 grains except in the 450/400 NE 3 in. where
I have found no difference or only a slight difference of 1/2 grain due to the fact that the new NF 400gr soft points are bore riders as are the 400 gr Cup Point solids. (Also depending on LOT of powder) Virtually no difference in load for the same velocity. I cannot speak to other calibers, but you should have no trouble with the 450/400 NE. 3 in.

Good Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
A question for those of you who load North Fork "Cup Point" bullets for your Double rifles.
How many grains on average do you need to down load to produce similar velocity's as your standard loads?
Regards,
Ad

Who cares? Buy a chronograph!

Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19338 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OZ,
if you speak nicely and act like a normal person you might get John at NF to send you some reloading data!! if worked for me Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 450 No2 I went UP one grain of RL 15 from my 480/500gr bullet loads, with the North Fork 450grain Solids and Cup Points to get the same point of impact at 100 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Minus 2 has worked in the 450, 470, & 500 caliber doubles. Minus 1 worked in the 9.3X74r.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, It looks like minus two grains is a good starting point.
Will, that's good advice about the Chrono as I have appreciated mine for many years now. BUT at the cost of these bullets, I'd prefer a basic starting point.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote