Find
Notify
Tools

Holland & Holland 303
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
I tried to get my wife to buy this for my birthday but she wouldn't budge. I don't think I'll ever see one for this price ever again.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=359875027

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like it and you are right; cheap for any H&H.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

The one worry that I had about the gun was the lack of information about the bores. Hopefully it gets posted again and someone here on AR can enjoy it for another hundred years.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The rifling is strong, and the bore on both barrels is in remarkably good condition for a rifle of this age"

Direct quote from the sale ad.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The forend isn't original from the looks of it and poorly fitted too boot! I'd have to look that one over very close before I paid that for it even with the H&H name.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Well it's back on.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=361793237

Now that srose mentioned the fore end, it looks terrible. Looks as though someone will be into the gun at least another thousand to fix up.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Yep, forend doesnt go with the rifle, the serial number supports this. Also the front sight hood and grip cap dont belong. Id still love to get my hands on it...and since its unoriginal id have to stock it to fit. The proportions and lines are great other than the forend.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Neat gun. Looks like it had a hard life.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a money pit. $4K for a basket case is a lot of coin, buy the gun as you see it today, not the name.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
It looks like it sold at one time for $7275 but has been relisted: http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=350825278

Could it be that somebody didn't like what he got?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say so.

Agree re the fore end.

The replacement screw isn't a worry as that can easily be re done.

As someone else said, it could be a bit of a money pit.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to buy it, but I'd love to buy it a beer and hear the stories it could tell.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle, but seriously in need of a lot of work. A new forend is just the beginning of what it needs. For the right price it would be worth restoring to shooting condition. I wouldn't pay more than $1000.00 for it as it is now. By the time you repair the standing breech, put the barrels back on face, make a new forend iron and forend you would be over 4k. I would be surprised if the ribs aren't loose.. So I would plan on stripping and re-laying the ribs then regulating it.
Ken said it best.

quote:
Looks like a money pit. $4K for a basket case is a lot of coin, buy the gun as you see it today, not the name.

Ken

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A costly restoration, but boy what a rifle it could be! Too many projects, too little time. I'd love to do that one for a client.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
I see that the seller is the same for both the "sold" auction and the current auction. May have been returned to the seller by a dissatisfied buyer.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, probably so. Once in hand, the faults are readily apparent.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
A costly restoration, but boy what a rifle it could be! Too many projects, too little time. I'd love to do that one for a client.
Steve

I know you would!
I am learning to let some others take on these charity cases

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the deal with the breech shims? Never saw that. The engraving matches up to it. Awfully odd.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re the Shims, you occasionally see them on some English guns.

Re the bores, he says "The rifling is strong, and the bore on both barrels is in remarkably good condition for a rifle of this age."

But if you look at the face of the gun in the photos, you will see a lot of burning and erosion on the face from blow back around the primer.

To get that level of erosion I reckon that gun would have fired quite a few rounds and probably from the early days which means the bores aren't likely to be nice and shiny !!!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
To get that level of erosion I reckon that gun would have fired quite a few rounds and probably from the early days which means the bores aren't likely to be nice and shiny !!!
Corrosive primers.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

That gun looks like it was a best quality
when it was made, strap over comb etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am learning to let some others take on these charity cases

gee after looking at the last 2 mausers you bought I thought you had taken up charity work as a new hobby Wink

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Hey, one of those Mausers is a good gun Roll Eyes
Plus, the money you would need to sink into this Holland could buy you a pretty damn nice Mauser! Or two!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote