THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A few DR questions....new double rifle owner.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few DR questions....new double rifle owner.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, thanks to Dale N., my new Chapuis 9.3 arrived yesterday and today we shot it....very exciting. It did great and I absolutely love it. *I have a few questions, perhaps the Board can answer a few:

1) Do they make catridge inserts for the 9.3? Perhaps I can shoot .22lr or ? - Not expecting lots of accuracy...just a little fun.

2) Is it REALLY bad to dry-fire the weapon without snap-caps? What about used expended/ fired rounds?

3) What can I do to "loosen" the action a bit...man, its stiff and is quite difficult to re-cock / open the breech.

Thanks.

Posts: 31 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 31 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) I don't know
2) Yes
3) Lube it and shoot it

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I'll send you some Mil-Tec oil and grease for your rifle! What part of town do you live in?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, on #2, you should really try to use snap caps, but if you can't find any, glue a pencil eraser into a decapped case and trim flush with the case.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was always told "snapping" on a fired case was worse than dry-firing.

How are the triggers on your Chapuis?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Galazan has snap caps for the 9.3 for $50 as I recall. They are in this year's catalogue.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Is your 9.3 on the 28ga action or 20ga?

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
Geronimo:
I hear this 'pencil eraser' thing quoted all the time, but have you ever done it? IMHO a pencil eraser is way too soft and will not slow down a DR firing pin one bit.

If you want to do this (and I have!), cut a small piece of rubber off the corner of a lug on your 4x4 or truck tyre with a box-cutter, trim to a tight fit in the primer-pocket, but leave it about 1/16-inch proud. It will compress a bit on closing, and should be strong enough to stop a firing pin before metal contact. Remember that it also has to be strong enough to push the firing pin back into the breech-face at rest, or the gun will be hard to open again.

Either that, or American pencil erasers are a bloody lot tougher than Australian ones! Big Grin

...or perhaps your main-springs are weaker than ours....? Wink

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
Zoom Snap-Caps for 9.3 from Midway USA for about 12 bucks.

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanofdbls:
What is a new thread without photos?

http://i10.tinypic.com/2s9yqm1.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/2prtjkm.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/2cwoiah.jpg

You pics are outstanding! Could you please take some more shots of the whole rifle and things like the butt plate etc? I ordered that exact same gun from Dale and your pics are far and away the best I seen!

Thanks

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Chris hit it. A-Zoom snap caps. Midway, Graf's, Cabela's,.... Two of them sit in my case with the 9.3. I practiced some snaps while moving the gun to the aiming point on a basement wall today. With the snow storm coming I was hesitant to go to the range. It is new enough to be a bit stiff as well. Guess I will use the same lube I use on a 1911 competition style slide. It doesn't creep and has synthetic as well as other lubes. Doesn't get stiff in extreme cold or run off in hot weather. Almost as good as militec or snake oil grease (the synthetic type, not for gun stocks). Whatever you do, don't use an excess. Good shooting. Packy

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
are you starting with any factory ammo for your 9.3????... i found S&B's 285gr sp's at cabelas....for $34/box....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Tony G's snap caps are of great quality. There not cheap, but neither is a double.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Absolutely do not dryfire your double rifle, without a pair of snap-caps!

The best way to damage a double rifle, I can think of, is dry fireing it without snap-caps, and the A-Zoom snap caps are not only the cheapest, but are the best IMO! They are turned out exactly like a real cartridge,but are black, and weigh about the same so ejectors work with them as if ejection the real thing.

The action on all doubles are stiff when new, simply fireing it will loosen it up after a period of break-in!

fanofdbls, you need to get with Rusty down there in Houston, as he can give you pleanty of good advice on the care, and feeding of double rifles!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your double rifle is too tight for you please give Briley a try. I took a client's double over there and they loosen it up in a matter on about 10 minutes. This done by the manager there at the time, Chuck Webb. He told me they loosen high end shotguns all the time for sporting clays clients buying new Beretta and Parrazi shotguns. The secret is in the fitting of the forearm, but he did not share with me exactly how to do this. He just went back in the shop and did it.

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best way to damage a double rifle, I can think of, is dry fireing it without snap-caps, and the A-Zoom snap caps are not only the cheapest, but are the best IMO! They are turned out exactly like a real cartridge,but are black, and weigh about the same so ejectors work with them as if ejection the real thing.

Well said, Mac! And you can buy 4 A-Zooms for a lot less than a set of Galazan's. With 4 (or more) you can practice quick reloading indoors.

quote:
The action on all doubles are stiff when new, simply fireing it will loosen it up after a period of break-in!

Right on the money! Shoot the rifle and the stiffness will work itself out. I would NOT let anyone fool with it to "loosen it up". Shooting the rifle will remedy the stiffness the way the manufacturer intended. Kind of like a diesel engine - everything settles into its proper place by driving the vehicle.

That may be well and good for sporting clays, but I have yet to hear of a lethal attack by an enraged clay pigeon.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHECK OUT THE POST FOR BUBBAS $500 45-70 RIFLES.

INFO THER ON INSERT MFGR WEBSITE & ADDRESS

TEY DON'T LIST FOR 9,3 BUT ASK !

GOOD LUCK & GOOD SHOOTING

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RE- YOUR FIRST PICTURE

WHAT IS THAT FUNNY LOOKING THING ABOVE YOUR CHAPUIS ?

I HOPE IT WON'T CONTAMINATE YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote