Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me .470 NE
 Login/Join

posted
Well I just picked up my first ever double rifle. A Browning BSS converted to .470 Nitro Express. I picked it up from the Kansas City Cabelas and the chief manager there said he thought it was a converted by a local gunsmith but he could find no one nearby that could provide any information. It has it's original 12 ga barrels cut and sleeved and they are regulated with an interesting screw device that looks similar to screw in shotgun chokes. Is anyone out there familiar with this type of conversion? Anything I should look at/inspect before taking it out to shoot? With the single trigger I'm also wondering how comfortable others would be using it on dangerous game?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have photos of this rifle to show us the details of the conversion?

Did the Kansas City Cabelas give you an inspection period where you can evaluate the rifle and return it for refund if it doesn't shoot properly?

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tuc...welcome to the forum. I have owned, or currently own a total of 7 doubles....all with double triggers. Regardless of how it shot, IMO I would not use it for DG. You are potentially losing the reason for a double....2 fast shots. Not saying it wouldn't go bang every time....but you know Mr. Murphy is always lurking about in the bush....and a pi$$ed off buff won't wait until you sort things out.
It probably can be had for a good price...and $$$ don't grow on any trees in my yard....well, if they do, my wife picks the blossoms first.
I'd hold off....save some more coin and get a 2 trigger double. If you are going on a DG hunt....you obviously are spending some cash...so go with a true double weapon.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, in my opinion, use it for whatever you want. I shot some buff with a 470 single trigger BSS conversion, and they died just fine. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, I was at Cabelas a few hours ago. I might have seen you there!

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but Will, we all know you stone 'em with the first shot so you don't need a second.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
http://s69.photobucket.com/alb...0%20Nitro%20Express/

Photos of my conversion, take a look at the regulating muzzles, first time I've seen this type.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
can't open it

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Well, in my opinion, use it for whatever you want. I shot some buff with a 470 single trigger BSS conversion, and they died just fine. Smiler

But Will you left out the part about being to functionally disabled to use two triggers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Need a ruling here: If a buff dies of laughter, does that qualify as fair chase?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuc-

quote:
Originally posted by Tuc:
http://s69.photobucket.com/alb...0%20Nitro%20Express/

Photos of my conversion, take a look at the regulating muzzles, first time I've seen this type.

That link doesn't seem to work.
Can you take another look at it and fix it so we can see?

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:

Need a ruling here: If a buff dies of laughter, does that qualify as fair chase?

rotflmo rotflmo animal animal
--------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you have to login to a private acccount! I sent you a PM with my email address.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He likely has set the album or the photos to "private" instead of "public"

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Now you have to login to a private acccount! I sent you a PM with my email address.
Peter.

Perhaps a look at that particular setting in his photobucket account would fix this.

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a shotgun conversion too, but mine's a Parker. I've also owned made/assembled in Japan Browning SxS guns so I already know what it would look like if the photo was up.

The Brownings are/were popular for conversion projects. They have one trigger. Some are mechanical and some are recoil activated for the second shot. I've had one with the mechanical trigger and two Browning shotguns with the recoil activated trigger. One was a 20 ga Grade I BSS with single non-selective mechanical trigger. The others which I still have, are a 12 ga Grade II BSS and a 12 ga Citori O/U, both with single selective recoil activated triggers (the O/U got a lot of use this year in the dove fields). IMO the latter type has a much better feel to it and is faster. For that reason I've wondered why the made in Japan Ithaca SKBs have not also been used more for this. I've owned one of those and that's how it was set up too, a 12 ga. Model 500. It was an O/U, but they had an entire line of boxlock side by sides (the Model 200E should have been a good one for a conversion project). All those were recoil activated.

On the Brownings I currently own and on my former Ithaca the second shot does NOT occur unless the stock meets with resistance, either one barrel being fired or any resistance, such as bouncing the stock firmly on something solid. Then you hear a click and it's set. In shooting it actually works very smoothly.

The screw device I'm totally unfamiliar with. However maybe someone else can comment on that. My main comment would be that on conversions of that type, before buying it I would want to know a whole lot about who built it and preferably it be someone who's known for that type work. If it were someone I could talk to, I'd be unreluctant to come right out and ask how many he's done before.

Btw, I once asked that exact question of a real young surgeon before allowing him to do my appendectomy and when he said "Oh at least 250" in an unconvincing manner, I said, "I see, in that case can I get somebody older?"

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
As far as I know the BSS's are mechanical triggers for there is no need for recoil for setting the second hammer. Just like the Krieghoff single trigger if you can find one. The ______ at Krieghoff at first tried to tell me it was set by recoil. We got that story straightened out!

If you want that BSS, and got it kinda cheap, I would say get and use it and don't pay attention to these guys that:

1) Buy expensive doubles and then try to pee on everything else.
2) Never used a double rifle with a single trigger.
3) Never tested their supposed double trigger brilliance in a real charge.
3) Never damn near got killed from trying to pull the same trigger twice on their antiques two trigger double rifles.

And pretend to be know-it-alls (nothing like me, of course Smiler )

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will......I GOT KILLED by an enraged buff and swore I would NEVER use a single trigger double again now that I'm back in a more handsome package. Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want that BSS, and got it kinda cheap, I would say get and use it and don't pay attention to these guys that:

1) Buy expensive doubles and then try to pee on everything else.
2) Never used a double rifle with a single trigger.
3) Never tested their supposed double trigger brilliance in a real charge.
3) Never damn near got killed from trying to pull the same trigger twice on their antiques two trigger double rifles.

And pretend to be know-it-alls (nothing like me, of course Smiler )

thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Will he has more experience telling people about how experienced he is than any other man on the internet.