THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    It sure pays to know a good smith.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It sure pays to know a good smith.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I dropped by Tip Burns' shop yesterday to get a small but critical piece of work done for me. When I bought my Hollis, JJ Perodeau made up a new extractor, since the original was out of spec. JJ must have used test brass with thinner rims than my Bell brass. The brass varies by a few hundreths, and in about half of my brass, the rims were too thick (but still in .065 range, which is spec), preventing the gun from closing fully (lever far to the right).

I dropped by Tip's, and he meticulously shaved of a few thousands off the extractors, testing with each cut whether the gun would close fully on .065 rims. He got it perfect, and now the gun closes as it should on all my brass. All this, while I wait and shoot the breeze.

When you find a good smith, treat him nice and brag on him. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Bobby:

First, I can't wait to see you again in a little over a week. And second, thank you for letting me have a few alone moments with you mistress (your Hollis, that is) at the last DRSS hunt.

When I handled your lady, I have to say I was a little perplexed with the loading of the rounds when we were at the range. Reading this post brings a smile to my face as I know shooting her with her recent improvements will be substancially more enjoyable.

See you in a little more than a week, my friend!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Tip's shop is a lot more relaxing than my house, for sure!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
At the risk of sounding like Tip's lackey, he is a fine person and an excellent gunsmith. That said, if bragging on him means that additional work at his shop slows down his ability to do my work, then I will turn on him publicly like the weasel that I am. Razzer

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've seen the 1909 argentine that he did for mjines...and also some of his 1917 enfield work....very nice, meticulous....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, glad to hear you got the ejector sorted out.

Bob is the fellow who introduced me to Tip and his family. These folks are as nice as anyone you'll ever meet.

Best part of it is, I now have a gunsmith I can call "My Friend"!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto: I hate to say this because he is going to be totally over whelmed with work but Tip Is simply a top notch gunsmith and fine fellow on top of that.
e

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote