Find
Notify
Tools

Range report on Merkel 141
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted
I took the 141 (9.3x74R)to the range today. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or maybe I need Herbert to take a look at it.

I know double rifles take a little different technique to shoot. I was sitting erect at the bench with the forearm rested on my hand that was laying on a sandbag. I tried gripping the gun and pushing it into my shoulder as well as a loose grip. The loose grip worked best and I pulled the gun firmly into my shoulder with my firing hand. My range only allows firing rifles from the bench. Its a 4 hour drive for me to go to a range for responsible shooters.

I used Norma ammo with the 235gr ammo that was used at the factory to regulate it at 100m as well as 285gr ammo (same lot) that I sent to Merkel to zero it.

I originally tried the irons at 50M with the 285gr ammo. It shot poorly. I tried the 235gr ammo thinking it may shoot better. It did but not by much. Iron sights do not appear to be regulated. I always carry a test gun (something that I know shoots well so I can see if I am having a bad day). This day I had a Shiloh Sharps in 50-70 and a Model 70 in 375 H&H. I popped the scope off the 375 and put 3 shots touching in the bull using the iron sights.

I put the scope on the Merkel and fired 3, 2 shot groups, firing each barrel and then letting it cool between groups. A typical target at 50M was with three shots in the bull from the right barrel (fired first), and 3 shots 2" low and 3" to the right from the LEFT barrel (fired second shot of each group). It appears as if the barrels are crossed. At 100M, the right barrel was about an inch below the bull and the left barrel shot lower and to the right completely off the paper. This was about typical of the day.

Again, I checked myself. I shot 10 shots with my 50-70 Sharps (iron sights) into about 2", center mass, at 100M. I put the scope back on the 375 and shot a 5 shot group into about 1 1/2" at 100M. At least I confirmed I can still shoot, but what is wrong with me and the double?

I'll give Merkel a call Monday and find out what exactly was done when it was regulated.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It sounds like everything you are doing is correct. I agree a call to Merkel is the next step. If you paid to have it re-regulated it ought to shoot. Did you get a target back with the rifle?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

No, I did not get a target; just the target that came from the factory for the 235gr load. It will just stack them one on top of the other with the right barrel using the scope. Makes me think the scope was zero'd using the right barrel and nothing else was moved. The irons are way off.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I totally agree with your assessment.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

The Merkel 141 is a bit different from most other DR's in that the iron sight regulation should be done in Trussville by Herbert using the customer's preferred ammo. This must be done first before zeroing in the scope.

The scope should only reflect the accuracy of the regulation done on the irons sights.

I will be talking with the Merkel folks this morning, and I'll have them take a look at this thread.

It's going to be difficult to get both the 285gr and the 235gr to shoot equally good. I don't think the 75% rule would work with those two loads.

Hopefully, I'll get Herbert, Einar, or Danny to respond to you this morning.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. I just spoke to Einar and he said Herbert would call me. I sent ammo to Herbert for regulating and I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong or if we need to look at the gun again. I was using the same ammo (and lot number) I sent in. I love the gun; I just need it to shoot better.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Talked to Merkel USA. I will be sending it back to them and they assured me they would make it right. I am sure thye will as I have had nothing but good experiences with them (which is why I use their products).

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I wanted to update this thread. I received a lot of good advice from forum members on regulating and firing my Merkel 141E; many thanks to all (especially Mike and the Judge).

My job has kept me off the range for quite some time. I got there early this morning and enjoyed shooting all day.

My Merkel shoots great. I ended the day with a 1" 4 shot group and a 1 1/4" 4 shot group at 100M. The 2 groups together were under 2". I let it cool completely between groups. I adjusted the irons and regulated the barrels at 50M first.

Regulating the barrels took me a full box of ammo. I fired both barrels, let it cool for 15 minutes with a fan blowing on it, adjusted the barrels and repeated. I thought it was a very simple process. I took several other rifles with me to keep me occupied (patience) while the barrels were cooling.