New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story of a Special Double!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a story of a special rifle, which has been in our family for three generations!

The large leopard stopped in his tracks and curled himself into a ball. He was crouched down with his chin above his front paws, feet tucked right under him.

He had awoken from his sleep, refreshed from his previous night’s wanderings and as the evening shadows lengthened had decided to head towards the Chikman river where he would drink at a muddy pool to satisfy his thirst, waiting for it to become dark and for all human sounds to die down from the fifteen or so mud huts that made up the small Gond village about half a mile upstream. He knew an easy meal in the shape of a calf, goat or dog awaited him.

But now the unfamiliar rumbling sound caused him to stop and all seven foot plus of him was now wound up like a spring, fifteen feet high and no more than ten yards from the winding mud road. A friend and I were at that very moment returning from the same village where he was probably headed, we had heard of the nightly sawing of a large leopard around the village and had gone to investigate. The Leopard had already killed a few precious goats and cattle and was slowly getting bolder!

As the open jeep turned the sharp bend in the road, I was hurriedly tapped on the shoulder from behind, by one of our trackers who said in a low voice “jita pulli†meaning spotted cat! Darius who was driving, stepped on the brakes and reached for his 30-06 rifle. I had by that time got out of the jeep to face the panther which was on my side of the road glaring down at us from no more than twenty feet!

The two shots came almost simultaneously. I had promised my friend that if ever we saw a panther while hunting together I would let him shoot as he had not shot one up to that time. The 180 grain 30-06 bullet hit the panther at the base of the neck followed a split second later by a 300grain soft nosed Kynoch bullet from my double 375 H&H flanged magnum behind it’s ear. The leopard’s head which was a few inches above his paws sank slowly in slow motion and came to rest on his paws, it never twitched a muscle and to this day I have never seen any other animal act in that way after being shot!

With that second shot came the end of the problem for the little Gond village and the end of an era of hunting dangerous big game in India for a rifle that had hunted big game for three generations in our family!

Made as one of a pair of 375 H&H Flanged Magnum double rifles in 1927 by Holland & Holland at the cost of twenty pounds sterling each, the pair of rifles was ordered by Nawab Salar Jung III.

Nawab Salar Jung was a great connoisseur of art, antiques and manuscripts and even to this day the Salar Jung Museum bears his name and houses the remnants of a once great collection of rare Indian and European art and artifacts.

In those bygone days, representatives from the great houses of Holland & Holland, Purdeys, Rigby and other fine makers of English shotguns and rifles made annual trips to India where they would show off their latest models and calibers and take multiple orders from the numerous Maharajas and Nawabs that ruled India which was then made up of vast kingdoms, teeming with wild life of every kind imaginable.

This group of extraordinary men with huge personal fortunes, grand palaces, hunting lodges, entourage of servants and followers, often stables of elephants and all the time in the world on their hands definitely had every use for such fine sporting arms.

In those days (1927 as per H&H's records of dt. of manufacture) the pair of guns would have been shipped to India, a long sea voyage of a few months and then travel overland over dusty roads to end their long journey in Hyderabad.

Story has it that my grand father Lakshman Reddy was having tea with Nawab Salar Jung when the rifles eventually arrived and were brought out by his personal armourer. (In those day’s personal armourer’s where employed to maintain their master’s gun collections, which often numbered in the hundreds!) The guns were unboxed and were given a look over. My grand father’s favorite tiger thumper at that point in time was his 500 BP hammer rifle also made by Holland and Holland. Hammer guns I guess were slowly going out of fashion and I am sure the hammerless double rifles must have looked pretty good to him!

Whatever transpired between the two good friends thereafter has also been lost to time and history but my grandfather left Nawab Salar Jung’s palace with one of the pair of rifles in the trunk of his car!

In those days few sportsmen kept count of head of game that was shot or records for that matter. Tigers were regularly shot within a few hours of Hyderabad. I remember my father pointing out a patch of scrub jungle less than an hour’s drive from our house in Hyderabad, where in his father’s time, three tigers were beaten out and shot one afternoon! My grand father’s personal bag included over fifty tigers and over a hundred leopards and quite a few of these fell to the 375 double rifle.

My father was also fortunate to hunt tiger, panther and vast numbers of all sorts of other Indian game and did use the 375 a fair bit; his favorite rifle however was a 9 x 57, Oberndorf Mauser Carbine. Of the twenty-one odd tigers he shot, a few of these were also shot with the 375!

He felt that because of the (then considered) high velocity of the 375 its performance was not good on tiger with bullets frequently breaking up! My father of course never had access to the premium bullets we know of today and used the old Kynoch ammmunation, which was notorious for it’s sometimes bad performance. I have also experienced many instances of bullets breaking up and jackets separating with the old Kynoch Ammo on different game!

After our father passed away, my brother and I inherited the 375 rifle and started our own hunting careers with it. Our old servants had a name for the rifle and called it “Pedaa Tupaki†meaning big gun, for they had great faith in it and had seen what it was capable of! With the “Pedaa Tupaki†we shot numerous head of game and even rabbit and fish on occasion!

The old 375 has been used on foot, from machans on trees, from bullock carts, from tractors, jeeps, and cars and even from a motorcycle! It has been carried up and down hills, rivers and swamps. During the wet, humid monsoon season, where everything is wet and rust comes fast, in dusty, hot dry conditions where fine sand gets into everything and acts like sand paper. (It has not seen snow as yet!).

If the gun could speak I am sure it would have many interesting stories to tell!
Of the hunt when my grand father and father used it to shoot the tigers in these pictures. The time when a leaky boat sank and the guns were saved from being washed away for good! The time when my brother, a sloth bear and the gun were definitely saved by good fortune when he had a misfire on a sloth bear, only to open the gun to see that a hornet had built it’s mud nest down the right barrel!

The sun has set on the days of hunting big game in India and most of the great sportsmen and their shikaris (guides) who were privileged and fortunate to experience that golden era, have now mostly all gone to their Happy Hunting grounds and with them their stories, their trophies and their guns now scattered all over the world. In the early 70s Double rifles were worthless in India. In a fit of wisdom, a family member exchanged our grandfather’s pet 500 H&H double rifle for a then new pump action air gun!

The “Pedaa Tupaki†had not been used in many years and sat locked up back home in India. My brother and I having left in search of new lives and hunting grounds! One nostalgic evening and a few beers later my brother and I came to the decision that we somehow had to export our rifle out of India!

A long overseas call later our good friend Darius, was given the Herculean task of trying to arrange this. Guns are all licensed in India and the system is highly bureaucratic and filled with red tape especially when it comes to anything to do with firearms. A year and countless calls, pleas, threats and highs and lows later, the day finally dawned!

I awoke one cold early morning switched on my computer and typed (into the Air France Cargo tracking system) the tracking number of the box in which lay the old 375. The message said that the box was loaded on to the plane destined to leave Delhi in a few hours. A few hours later the updated system displayed the message that our precious cargo was finally enroute to Paris and then on to New York.

My brother and I were ecstatic; it brought both a sense of relief and joy that we would once again be joined together with our old friend. It also brought a great sense of sadness that the double barrels would never again face a tiger or look down from a hot sunny rock at a mural fish as it surfaced in the hot afternoon sun in a clear jungle pool or ever again be carried by the hands of jungle folk in the once very wild jungles of India.

In these days, where guns and other material possessions are bought sold traded and discarded on a whim and there is little thought or sentimental attachment for the living let alone the inert, this story may not make much sense.

But I do believe that in all of us hunters, perhaps some more than others, we still hold precious and value the stories and spirit that lie in our guns, our favorite hunting jacket, lucky cap and so on…

I hope that one day, my life will be blessed with other fine guns and double rifles but I can truly say that the great times, three generations of our family have shared with our old and trusted friend can never be equaled.

Seventy five years of heavy use has taken it’s toll and there is a small crack in the heel of the stock, and the blueing and checkering has worn where countless hands have held it, but it’s lovely feel, great balance and the familiarity and knowledge that it will get the job done today as it did in 1927 has never faltered once.

My Grandfather with one of his tigers and the 375H&H.

Posts: 2553 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Great story! I actually read it over in Big Bores before you moved it...wrote out a reply, hit post now and it was gone!

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
reddy, great post about an equally great family rifle.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

You should send your story off to African Hunter, or somewhere, to be published. It is of lasting value, though it deeply saddens me.

I get furious when I hear all the stories of dwindling tigers in India on PBS, etc., as to the artificial reasons why tigers are in trouble, as opposed to the real reason for the tigers demise.

Thanks for sharing this personal history lesson.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharing that bit of family history with us. i hope you can take the rifle out to africa and let it speak again at big and dangerous game. i'll bet it would love to do so !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big, Bad, Vietnam Veteran, Army Ranger that I am,

this story brought a tiny tear to my eye. I have several family heirloom rifles and a pistol, and I would not part with any for ten times their weight in gold!!

How wonderful for you.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote