THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Where is Tony when you need him!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is Tony when you need him!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
San Francisco?

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Tony (a regular on the double rifle forum) has experience with escaped dangerous zoo critters as a law enforcement officer in Dallas. I thought everyone would find the news interesting. Im sure by now the story is in every news broadcast.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of Tony's exploits. The incident was at the San Francisco Zoo, hence my post.

Gotta wonder how:
1.) a tiger gets out
2.) and no one notices that it is missing.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Dirty little secret of most larger zoos is they usually have shooter teams available for immediate response to just such an incident.

A boss from our big zoo in the state actually admitted it on the TV news last night during an interview about escaped animal procedures there.

I could do that as a retirement job! Trophy hunting without the international travel. Big Grin

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Update on this shit. SFPD says that the clowns MAY have been teasing and otherwise harassing the tiger. In fact, there was a blood trail coming from the enclosure itself. These stupid asses just caused the death of one of their number and unnecessarily caused the tiger's death.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think of it as evolution in action

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Darwin must be alive and well. Perhaps living in the Galapagos. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with Tony's exploits. Would someone fill me in?

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougaboy:
I am not familiar with Tony's exploits. Would someone fill me in?

Doug

Tony was head of the SWATT team on the Dallas Police force, and he is the guy who shot the 350 lb escaped gorilla that hurt the little kid at the Dallas ZOO a couple years back!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac. I wondered if that episode was the one that you folks were talking about. I remembered the escape, but couldn't remember what animal it was.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony was forced to shoot. The ape decided it wanted a piece of him and charged. As I recall, its head stopped just at Tony's feet after the shot stopped the charge.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
So I guess that Tony is the only one who finds 350 LB Gorilla jokes not amusing?

Society must occasionally deal with reality, so my hat is off to Tony and his fellows.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I can say, with some authority, that a 350 lb Gorilla does pretty much anything he wants.... Eeker

Till you shoot him in the head with a 458. Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the story on CBS

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote