New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym Double
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK....I need the experts on this one. I have come across a Heym 88B double in 458 win with 12 ga shotgun barrels. The gun is very nice with little, if any, percievable wear. The bores appear 99% if not perfect. Although I'm no expert, even though I do own a double and have shot it a few hundred times, the gun seems as tight as new....no move whatsoever with either the rifle or shotgun barrels. It balances sweet with both the rifle and shotgun barrels. The ribs look great. The top of the rib, near the breech says Heckler & Koch, and the rear lug says Heym. The caliber is stamped under the barrels next to the lug. Wood is very nice. The recoil pad is a bit firm and I would replace it with a new one. It honestly looks like a gun a guy bought, shot very little and traded it in for something else.
I have very briefly talked to Chis (new guy) about it via phone.
I would have JJ re-chamber for 450 NE and have him put a new pad on it.

Here's the good part....it's mine for $9200.

DEAL????

THANKS!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Sound good to me and you might be happy leaving it as a 458win.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Buy IT! JJ can do a proper job for you! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
FRIGGIN DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great!

My DR is a 458wm and it's been a flawless performer. Might want to give it a try as a 458wm. If it proves reliable, maybe leave it alone. Remember 458wm ammo is very easy to find anywhere DG is hunted. In my rifle, all factory ammo that I've tried has shot well enough for cape buffalo or elephant hunting, should your own ammo go missing or run short.

In any event, I'd shoot the heck out of it as a 458, just to get to know the rifle. Ammo, brass etc is cheap.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent price and you should buy it immediately. If you want, you can later rechamber to 450 NE or just leave it alone.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's just say that it's in the vault! I had him put it aside as soon as I saw it...and the price. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday as soon as "my buddy" returns to work. I am going to shoot it a bit as a 458, but I'm definitely sending it to JJ for the proper re-chamber to 450. As a matter of fact, I'm going to have him go thru it completely, clean, etc. Once in a while a deal comes along....and EVEN I spotted this one.

Thanks to all.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way.....Jamison or Bertram brass for the 450 NE?....any pros/cons to either??

And some loading would be helpful....and yes I have Graeham's book. I have quite a bit of RL15 and H4831sc.

THANKS....off on another adventure.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
has anyone checked the base diameter of the 450 straight vs the belt on the 458 ??

might be a better candidate for the 458 lott....

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamison brass is the better brass by a long shot. Unbelievable deal!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bertram brass is a product with piss-poor quality control. It's often off-dimension(rim too thick) or necks are too thin and crack while sizing and loading them. Frequently it's both. Some have had some luck with their brass, but do you feel lucky?

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deal!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
By the way.....Jamison or Bertram brass for the 450 NE?....any pros/cons to either??

If you can find brass made by anyone ohter than Bertram, BUY IT!!!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500:

Grafs has Jamison brass at a lot better price than Bertram.....cases ordered.
Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gary,

Congrats on the new DR.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks, Doug. How have you been? I found this sort of on a fluke in a store down my way. I am aquaintances with the resident gunsmith there and he has it in his personal vault...set aside for me. I'm going in tomorrow with my magnifying glass and fine toothed comb and going over it one more time. If all is well, I'll bring her home. Then she'll be headed to JJ for a going over including the 450 re-chambering. I like when I find a deal...of course that's relative...you still spend the $$.
Hope all's well as I see you all had some nasty weather come thru. Hope it didn't disrupt the DSC too bad.
My youngest and I are headed to Reno on the 24th...did you decide to go?
Take care....I'm post pics once I bring the Heym home.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the little sweetheart came home today. I sat down with my buddy the gunsmith and went thru her REAL carefully. She is in perfect condition....and I mean perfect. I don't believe the 12 gauge barrels had even been on the frame. Best of all....she came home for $500 cheaper than the asking price! Now here's the part I left out before because I knew one of you slick operators would try to snake me....I bought this gun at......GANDER MOUNTAIN!!!! Yep...only my friend knew what they had...and now I have it.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have SCORED!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Gander Mountain is really getting into the double business these days. The one near my house has a Krieghoff (.500/.416) and two Merkels (.500 and .470). Really interesting to see a chain store like that with doubles in the case.

Congrats on your purchase.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIIIITTTT's GOOOD!...you're right Jack...I'm very happy with this score. The only other score that excited me this much....well maybe another time.
Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and send her to JJ for the proper re-chamber to 450 NE. New Guy is sending a set of dies and RCBS is sending a shell holder. The Jamison brass is already on its way.
Now all I have to do is wait on JJ....oh well, we can't have everything.

Thanks to all that posted.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike....you posted just as I did. I agree, Gander Mountain here just got in a new Merkel 500 and has a couple of used 9.3's on the rack. Nothing wrong with that!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:

Now all I have to do is wait on JJ....oh well, we can't have everything.
Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

And find an Ele to use it on!!! Wink

What does Gander want for the Merkel 500 or 470?

Regards
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oz...no elephant....buffalo in Zambia '08! As far as the Merkel, I believe they are asking about $9000 for it...it is the "basic" model without the engraving. One thing nice about Gander though...on firearms such as this...you can haggle a bit with them.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

You need to post picture of your new score.

Things are good here. I don't get to go back to Africa as soon as you, but I have booked my next hunt. I am headed back to Zimbabwe in '09 for elephant.

Have fun at SCI.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug....thanks for reminding me.....I'm packaging her up for the trip to JJ tonite....I'll take pics first.
Sorry I won't get to see you at SCI....I'm looking forward to going.
I'll PM later Doug as I'd like to chat a bit about your Zim hunt plans.

Take care, buddy.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Our Gander Moutain has the Krieghoff and one of Merkels at around $10,000 (basic models, no engraving). The .500 is engraved with game scenes and is $10,900 or thereabouts.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I was off a bit....the 500 here can be had for (after haggling) $9450.....and yes...it is the basic grade.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary, or others,

What do you figure is an actual fair market value for your gun? With the Heym PH starting at around $14,000, and then adding shotgun barrels which seem to start at $4000 or so, the value of your find seems to be well over $15,000.

How does the 458 WM caliber effect price, all else being equal?

Thanks and congrats, Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GARBY good going !
you got it for $500 less thasn the ask price of $9,200 so you are into it for $8,700 .

that's a cheap price for a good rifle.

you are a lucky man.

the "cheap" merkel 470 that were around 2 months ago seem to have dried up. then you could find several for $8k or less. now, volume dealer is $8,246 and regular dealer is $$8,796

and with the strong euro vs dollar a price adjustment may be coming soon.

i will offer my new in box 470 arabesque engraved with $1,000 upgrade wood at $9,000

e mail cabletools@alltel.net for pictures

tom ondrus 814 774 5739
ps - the factory advises there is a shortage of these rifles as they have been selling like crazy ! and sci is coming next week.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TOMO577:

I actually FEEL lucky on this one. I really can't believe how little this thing seems to have been used. With both the rifle and shotgun barrels it balances BEAUTIFULLY!! Of course, with the shotgun barrels it weighs A LOT less. The barrels are fixed chokes, it reads "70" for both, so I'm assuming that's a 70% choke which relates to about a modified....if I'm not losing too much memory.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
70 is the cartridge length in millimeters
it is a 2 3/4" chamber

i owned a heym two bbl set 5 or 6 yrs ago
470 and 375 flanged - each with an excellent zeiss scope in claw mounts.

killed 2 roebuck with one shot in estonia with it. deadly accurate rifle.

i sold it because i couldn't stand to look at the stupid receiver design at the back. some germans idea of svelte i guess. wonder why the dolts just don't make them with a straight back like a proper english rifle instead of the garbage they put out.

anyway a few months after i sold it i saw a picture of a sideplated heym.... and realized i really goofed. i should have sent it back to heym to correct their mistake and put the sideplates on it.

as the krauts say, ve grow too soon oldt und too late schmart. weidmanns heil, tom

TOMO577

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean....never could figure that out, and I'm an engineer. But I think I'll look at it awhile anyway Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ask new guy what it would cost to have sideplates put on it. even without any engraving it would so improve the looks ! and engraving could be added later.

i truly regret i didn't think of that option before i sold mine.

TOMO577

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's an idea. Thanks. Of course a buff head on one side and a leopard head on the other would look nice or maybe.....endless possibilities.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer