Find
Notify
Tools

Pulling 470 NE bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
I previously looked on here to find some info on pulling bullets in the 470, but didn't come up with much so I thought that I would tell the tail of a day off getting ammo lined up for the hunt.

In a couple of weeks I'm off to Eastern Utah to hunt some elk and am going to take the 470. Elk and a 470 you might say? This will be more like a whitetail hunt because the elk are herded up in a farmers corn field and he wants them out! So instead of humping a pack and a gun to 10,000 ft elevation, we'll be sitting in a ground blind at the center of a pivot.

I got looking at my 470 rounds and came across some lead cast that I loaded a while ago. I loaded them up for practice but got a little nervous after Michaels report on lead bullets in doubles.

With the hunt only a couple of weeks off, I needed to sh!t or get off the pot and get the brass loaded up for the hunt. I tried a collet puller from RCBS and found that does nothing for lead bullets. The day quickly turned from bad to worse when they wouldn't pull.

Then I decided to try out the impact puller. RCBS Impact Puller

This thing worked great! Instead of using a bushing, I just slid the bullet down the tube and the flange on the bullet fit almost perfect. A couple of smacks later the lead bullet was out, powder seperated from bullet, and I was on my way.

The inside of the impact puller where the round sits is just a hair too short for the 500 gr bullets, but you can get the bullet 3/4 of the way out. Then all you have to do is pull the round out of the puller and grab it with some pliers and it pops right out. Of course you need to put a wash rag around the bullet or you're gonna get some scratchs on it.

Hope this helps.

Tyler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I found a simple 4" to 5" length of 20mm (around 3/4") hard electrical conduit works well if you have only a few to disassemble.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
pull them with the rcbs 50 cal collet in a full press bullet puller

I use my bmg press for that round --slides um right out

heavy crimp and all

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The easiest way and most economical to boot is to take a simple electrical wire stripping tool; you know, the ones that look like a flat set of pliers? Run the round up in the press, without a die screwed in, grab the bullet with the sharp edges of the stripping tool, then lower the ram. Works like a charm. Yes, it might put a small dent or scratch on the bullet but I've yet to shoot one that didn't perform perfectly anyway.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is what I do; use a pair of pliers and run the round up the press hole without a die. Then lower the ram. The little marks on the bullet do not hurt anything.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a .475 collet puller.

but I've used pliers and such in the past.