THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Weekend away for some pigs and a buffalo...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weekend away for some pigs and a buffalo...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got back from the bush Sunday evening, after a fantastic weekend in magnificent country. Four pigs and a little bull fell to the Merky .500NE, and one pig fell to Dave's bow. Along the way we enjoyed some beautiful (and some scary) native wildlife, and endured the usual headaches, nausea, thirst, hunger, dust, sweat and wearily-trudged thoughts of "Why the hell am I out here doing this when I could be under the fan with a cold drink back home?" Well, as always, it's the adventure and the beauty of wilderness and wild creatures - Robert Service "Spell of the Yukon" stuff (Google the poem) applied to the Never-Never in my thinking.

Anyway, the Woodleigh 570 grain softs did the trick. The Merky .500NE (which I've had for a year now) and I really came together this weekend for some magic instinctive shooting at game on the run, something akin to shotgunning, I imagine. I've done a bit of missing these running pigs in the past, but not this weekend: Every shot hit, and only one animal (a sow) was stationary for the first one. It's starting to come together for me, as I got my first pair of pigs with a neat right and left, running at a 45 degree angle away from me at about fifty and sixty yards. In the past, I've missed with my left on bombshelling pigs. Another boar was clobbered on a similar angle away from me at about seventy yards. The buffalo hunt was incredibly exciting, being up-close for quite some time before popping him down as he finally turned to run with a quick right-and-left. Dave's bowhunt was also very exciting and hard-won, closing to just seven yards from a sleeping sow. The three-bladed broadhead from his Mathews compound was devastating.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
Ben, a great adventure and awesome shooting, the Northern Territory is a fascinating place and trully beautiful.

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report and congrats on the superb shooting. Thanks for sharing.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben: Looks like another successful trip! How's the old man?

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now there's a man's weekend!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellows. G'day, Karl! Dad is good, working on a pet project for sniping bunnies at longish distances, and getting the combines ready for harvest, I think. PM on the way. Cheers, Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I want to know how Kangaroo tastes on the barbie.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT looks like fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben you are having waaay too much fun! Keep it up!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and great fun! tu2

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote