Notify
Tools

Double rifle observations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Josh,
Maybe I missed your discription of how you are holding the double. Off stick, Off hand, on bags?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I'm not sure what bullet he was using but I know he spoke very highly of Woodeligh's and I would suspect that is what it was but I don't know for sure. He did say it was factory ammo however.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:
I guess all of our expectations for accuracy are different, but a 4" group at 100yds with ANY single barrel rifle would be a rapid trip back to the guy that built it with a real good explanation to be expected.

I am able to tell the difference in the field between a so-so shooter and one that produces razor edge accuracy. I am not sure that I would say that less than perfect accuracy has been a problem, but the difference is noticeable.

The iron sights are fine, and frankly I prefer iron if they are not costing me too much as far as accuracy goes. The sights on both these doubles seem well suited for close range. I have mounted a scope on the 375 Searcy just to speed up the sighting process. I haven't made up my mind whether I'll leave it there for the hunt. I might leave it just for the speed, but the rifle looks more elegant without it.

Archaic is the word, they are very cool but are about like all those Sharps single shots I have used for so long. Very old in design.

I probably will get rid of the Heym when I get time, I have lost confidence in it and I will definitely never go DG hunting again with just one double rifle in the box. A back-up looks to be mandatory.

I dunno,
josh

Josh, first off please understand where I'm coming from with this post. It is in no way casting a bad light on anyone, it is simply thrying to offer some years of experience dealing with double rifles, and the problems people have with them, and the causes.

I find the people who have the most trouble with double rifles are those new to that rifle type. that is understandable, but what may do not understand is the people who have the "MOST" problem seem to be those folks who have a long background in long range bench shooting with bolt rifles, and single shots with scopes, and chambered for high pressure cartridges, that develope very high velocity, and have only one barrel. compared to a person who is knowledable with double rifles of all types, and especially those with large bore, and heavy recoil. When a bech shooter buys a double rifle, regardless of how much experience he has, he is starting from scratch. The double rifle simply does not follow bench rifle rules, and will defy you at every turn. You would not believe the fine double rifles I have bought from folks who found that could not deal with the double rifle, and thought he had bought a lemon. I have shot the rifle you bought, and I found it to be absolutely fine, and would have loved to have owned it myself, and if I'd had the disposable funds when it camre on the market you would not be dealing with it today, I suspect, nor would I!

I have been told by others you have been useing Barnes Banded mono-lithic solids in the 470NE Heym, and by you yourself that you use them in the 375NE Searcy. This can be a real problem in double rifles. I know that Butch says there is no problem with those solids in his rifles, and he may be right, I certainly do not assume I know more than Butch Searcy when it come to his double rifles, but if I had a Searcy double rifle of any caliber I would not use them in my rifle. The only mono-lithic solid that is safe in any double rifle is either the GS Custom, or North Fork copper "RESSURE RING" solids, IMO.

I was given to understand they you were supplied with 150 North Fork CPS, and FPS solids with the rifle, and warned not to use the Barnes in the Heym rifle. If you did use the Barnes mono-lithic solids in the rifle that could have been the cause of the fireing pin failier, not to mention the blown grouping on the target. These mono-lithic solids with the wide BANDS cause spike pressures that sometimes cause fireing pins to stick in the primer, and bend it initially, then later break it off, because once bent, only slightly, it tends to cause less than perfect ignition, and stick more, and finally break. This could account for the fluctuating velocities in that barrel as well.

What I also would like to ask you is how you were resting the rifle on the standing bench you built, and I would love to see some detailed pictures of that bench, and you shooting the double from it.

Please do not take this as "PILE ON" because it isn't at all, just a questionaire for my own files. and for information to make an attempt to help if I can! thumb

PS: BY the way. what do you call WEST TEXAS, not you address but the part of state near what city? Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by els

quote:
Josh I think that is pretty astute noting the L barrel was having velocity variations.

I agree, good on you for picking up on that I would like to think I'd catch that if I were haveing the same problem.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
If you do come and shoot with Josh, you are in for a real treat. He has a splendid range and the air conditioned shooting house. He is also a very fine rifle shot. He and I used to shoot silhouette competition together and I have been priveleged to hunt on his ranch and have been his house guest on a number of occasions.

Not everyone shoots enough or is a good enough shot to be able to outshoot a particular rifle. When you get to the point you can do that, a whole new world of awareness opens up. A really good shot knows when it is him, and knows when it is the rifle. Josh is one of those that can tell the difference.

Hey Bill, how you been? I was out to your house once, and had a very fine lunch with you and your wife. I traded you a 458WIN MAG Ruger No1 for a black powder double rifle!

Folks, and Josh I can vouce for Bill's shooting, he's a maste on the long range target, with those Sharps rifles!

SORRY I didn't mean to hyjack this thread, just wanted to say hy!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Barnes bullets cause firing pin failures? bewildered

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you did use the Barnes mono-lithic solids in the rifle that could have been the cause of the fireing pin failier, not to mention the blown grouping on the target. These mono-lithic solids with the wide BANDS cause spike pressures that sometimes cause fireing pins to stick in the primer, and bend it initially, then later break it off,

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I should have filled in some of the details on the Heym. I called Chris about the Barnes banded solids and he said there was no warning not to use them. I tried a few and they didn't shoot well so I abonadoned them. The majority of the bullets that went through the Heym were the North Forks. Something over 60 rounds. I tried several different powders and too many charges to mention. The second most numerous were the Woodleigh solids, maybe 45 or 50. And then about 20 each of the GS customs in both 500 and 560. About 25 rounds of factory ammunition, total. The truth is that I think the left barrel had a problem from the start, but I did get some loads with the Heym I would have hunted with. The stuck firing pin blew the deal.

As far and the bench goes, it is built between two posts and covered in carpet. I use a front bag under my left hand and nothing under the right. I usually will pad the bench with thick beach towels to make sure that I do not have a hard spot under any point. Of course, nothing touches the rifle but my hands and shoulder. I also use a good PAST pad on my shoulder usually an Evo-shield shirt with the pad under it.

If I can get a little time I will post the final sight-in targets for the Searcy. As far as I am concerned it is perfectly sighted and displaying excellent accuracy.

I have just got my hot wire foam cutter complete and I am fitting gun cases at the moment and don't have much time.

I know that everyone is trying real hard to make it sound like I screwed up a perfectly working rifle. The bad news is that either it was mistreated or had an original problem. I have done nothing but shoot it.

Pressure spikes with the Barnes solids? Come on guys, is there a single factual instance of something like that you can point to or are you running off at the mouth? Pressure like what would cause the firing pin to stick, 70,000, 90,000? Anything near that high would have something else let go long before the firing pins. Just how fragile are the Heym's firig pins?

Akshooter, how about this? You keep that $1500 bush league wanna be custom rifle? If I had wanted to hunt elephant with just another half POS rifle I'd have put out requests. I don't want a Savage either. If you've got something by Hartmann and Weiss, I'll listen.

You know this might be easier if all you experts would put your bonafides on the table. How about we limit the snot nosed comments to those that have been to Africa hunting DG with a double rifle at least once. JPK, Mac, a couple of others I know of, I'll listen to you guys. You guys that are just flinching with your double rifle at the range and TALKING about Africa may not be my best source of help.

I dunno, sometimes.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"You know this might be easier if all you experts would put your bonafides on the table. How about we limit the snot nosed comments to those that have been to Africa hunting DG with a double rifle at least once. JPK, Mac, a couple of others I know of, I'll listen to you guys. You guys that are just flinching with your double rifle at the range and TALKING about Africa may not be my best source of help."

Josh

What has Africa got to do with discussing the trial and tribulations of a Double Rifle ?

Africa, Australia, WGAF, Big game is big game regardless.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

how many trips have you made to Africa and how many head of DG have you taken? Just curious if you know anymore about hunting DG than you do about regulating double rifles?

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Josh A

quote:
Akshooter, how about this? You keep that $1500 bush league wanna be custom rifle? If I had wanted to hunt elephant with just another half POS rifle I'd have put out requests. I don't want a Savage either. If you've got something by Hartmann and Weiss, I'll listen

Josh
I did'nt deserve that. If you look at my last post on this thread youll notice that I commended you about your obsevations on the left barrel.
The offer was meant as a joke. Yes I would have honered it but I'm not just a hillbilly chimeing in here with my opinion.
I'll post a photo of the P.O.S. .458 I jokeingly offered you. Also a photo of the Holland & Holland shootgun I said I'd throw in. I suppose that is a P.O.S. as well Actully as a trade value the whole thing woulden't have been far off base.
No the rifle isn't an H&W. If thats what you want why did'nt you get one in the first place. They can build you a fine bolt action (take down or not) or a double rifle. If you want I can help you arrange this ( even though you kind of pissed me off with your comments) Gerhard Hartmann is a friend and I can get him on a direct line keep in mind that is usally very late at night about midnight since Germany is 10 hours ahead of me. That would be 4:00 am your time.
I understand why you want to narrow the field on the comments. You don't need every tom ,Dick and Harry pipeing in. I really don't think that is the way things are done on AR. If we do go that route can I please have special consideration because even though I have only hunted Africa twice and only one of those trips did I use a double rifle I would like to stay in the conversation because I have hunted with a double rifle in Zembabwe,Florida,California,Alaska,Germany,France,and Austria. Like you I belive that sometimes there are other good options over the double rifle so I can't mention all the other contients and countries I've hunted on this thread because I did'nt use a double rifle.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Akshooter:

PM sent.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
AKshooter,
He's just a bit verklempt with trying to get everything ready for the hunt. I'm sure he didn't mean anything.

I'd be glad to, once again offer my old A. Hollis and Sons 450/400 for him to take if it doesn't look like the Heym will work out.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Rusty
Very good observation I can imagine this could be true. I assume you mean the Yiddish translation wich is overwhelmed rather than the German translation wich is inhibited.

Josh I'll take what Rusty said and offer my apology if I came back at you a little strong.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How come a known Heym DR, shot by a couople of people on AR who know how to shoot DR's, all say the gun shot OK / Well or at least didn't seem to have a problem yet another person gets hold of it and it doesn't shoot (regardless of the firing pin issue).

???????

Anyone care to answer ?

Also, in looking at the number of different bullets etc that you used when reloading for it,
it just seems to me that you changed too many variables, too quickly to really determine what was going on with the gun.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Barnes bullets cause firing pin failures? bewildered

Dave I know you know better than that! Just stiring the pot. stir

It isn't the bullet, it's self, that does anything to the fireing pin dirrectly. It is the "SPIKE IN PRESSURE" that attempts to open the the rifle's top break action, causing the action and barrels to seperate a microscopic amount with the pin still embedded in the primer, and the internal pressure swelling the primer around the tip of the fireing pin holding it while the action flexes in a different dirrection. When the action is opened to re-load, the pin is still in the extended position held there by the swollen primer the pin is bent slightly by the opening of the action. When this is done several times the pin is bent enough so that it will stay in the extended position every time being slowly damaged more and more every time the rifle is opened till it breaks. This lack of fireing pin travel, can cause flucuation in velocity,because of delayed ignition, or even hang fires, and duds. The other pin damage is caused by dryfireing, or with insufsicient spring tention on the striker pad in the snapp-cap, or caps. This is usually noticed by the pin remaining extended, and has to physicly pushed back into the breech face. When this happens the rule is, remove the pin and see if it is bent, or has been super extended into it's receptical in the breech face. This is easiest with disk set pins, but many have to have the stock removed to get to the pins.

The pins in most double rifles do not travel on a horrizonal level with the primer, but at an angle, and only microscoic amounts of binding, or over extention will damage the pins.

If you have handled many double rifles, you will no doubt, remember the little trap-doors in the grip cap, and the the little bottles with a screw off top usually made of Buffalo horn, these are for spare firing pins. this is a silent reminder that the pins sometimes break,or bend and need to be changed. If this almost never happened, the maker would not have included those little features in the lugage cases,and on the rifle it's self. Much of this was caused, in the old days, by in consistant ammo pressures, cause by heat, and the use of old ammo. Today this is not a big problem because of the ammo's consistancy, and our new powders being relatively immune to heat problems. However the owner shooting over pressure ammo in the rifle will negate the problem savers we use today. One real cause is ammo that spikes in pressure early in the ignition process! That is the main problem with mono-metal bullets that are not well designed. The first sign of this is the rifle seems harder to open, after fireing.

The damageing of the pins is not the only damage the poorly designed, amd made mono-lithic can do to a double rifle. There have been swageing of the rifleing enough to show the pattern of the rifleing on the outside of the barrels, and causeing the ribs, and wedges to seperate from the barrels. The value of poorly designed mono-metal bullets is not enough value to risk a $20K double rifle, when good bullets (even properly disigned mono-metal bullets) are available.

The fact remains that when dealing with double rifles, you need to forget everything you ever learned about loading and properly feeding a bolt, or single shot single barreled rifle! The double rifle simply is a zebra of a different stripe, and must be used on it's own terms! Those who do not adhere to these terms will never learn to love a double rifle! Some folks are just not willing to see fact, and should stay away from double rifles all together! The double rifle is an expensive experiement that will only yeald satisfaction if it is fed, it's special diet and used by it's own rules!

I think in Josh's case he simply needs to send the rifle to Chriss for new pins, and a new set of snap caps, and if he is useing those mono-metal bullets with the wide bands, discontinue their use, and go to the North Fork CPS, or FPS, and go hunting!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Now see Mac, if you just had a Krieghoff or a Blaser S2, you wouldn't have all these firing pin problems hilbily

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:

I know that everyone is trying real hard to make it sound like I screwed up a perfectly working rifle. The bad news is that either it was mistreated or had an original problem. I have done nothing but shoot it.

I have no idea what others are thinking but in my case I was just makeing suggestions on the things that could have caused your problems, nothing more.

quote:
Pressure spikes with the Barnes solids? Come on guys, is there a single factual instance of something like that you can point to or are you running off at the mouth? Pressure like what would cause the firing pin to stick, 70,000, 90,000? Anything near that high would have something else let go long before the firing pins. Just how fragile are the Heym's firig pins?

Many people new to double rifles overlook things that are fact, but sound dumb to the guy who has a long history of useing rifles that opperate under 50K chamber pressures, and up all the time. The double rifle will do some very strange things when pressures get over about 40K chamber pressure. The bending of pins is one. It take far less than 70K pressure to do a lot of damage to a rifle designed for 470NE.

quote:
You know this might be easier if all you experts would put your bonafides on the table. How about we limit the snot nosed comments to those that have been to Africa hunting DG with a double rifle at least once. JPK, Mac, a couple of others I know of, I'll listen to you guys. You guys that are just flinching with your double rifle at the range and TALKING about Africa may not be my best source of help.

I dunno, sometimes.

j

Josh, I don't see a need to tell anyone where I've been or what I've done, but if there is one thing that makes me credible is 51 years of owning building,and hunting with double rifles for dangerous and many other animals on three continents. That may seem like not much cred but it is longer than many here have lived from birth to date!

Josh I hope you have a trouble free safari, and bag some real ivory!

...................BYE!
wave

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, the reason for the offhand remark on bonafides is that there are lots of rifle owners but few that actually tighten down, straighten out a rifle and then put their money where there mouth is and take on a reasonably expensive hunting trip.

Black powder cartridge silhouette taught me alot about guys, there are tons of them giving loads and advice and they all have rifles that shoot MOA or "it shoots better than I can hold;" if you can get them on a range they either have a horrible, unusual problem with their rifle/ammunition or they can't hit themselves in the butt with both hands. Translation, they type better than they shoot.

Bill has been around enough to know that I am not embarrassed to ask for help if I can't get a rifle to work the way it is supposed to. He also has been around enough to know that if you set yourself up to be an eggspurt you had better be right because I am not much afraid to shoot against a big talker for pink slips. I don't mind be humbled by someone who is right, just don't try to bluff me.

There has been a bunch of bluff talk on these double rifles, many excuses, little facts. Mac may very well be right, the reasoning sounds good, but I haven't seen one solid citation yet. If the Heym is unsound with the Barnes solid then someone needs to note it, from Heym. Chris said there was not prohibition, so I shot them.

When I get back and get around to it I'll get the Heym fixed. I am going to see those firing pins for myself just to see if I can tell anything. After that I'll probably dump the Heym just because I don't like it. Doesn't matter, there are zillions of rifles out there.

AK, I didn't care for the smart remarks on trading your bolt gun to me. I was interested in some help from anyone with real knowledge, not just more internet verbal masturbation. I don't know the guy that built your bolt rifle and I am sure it is fine. Get in line, there are lots of good rifles out there. I want rifles that are excellent to extraordinary, regular rifles come by the truck load.

Rusty, you know how genuinely I appreciate the offer of your Hollis. It is very kind of you to offer it to me. I think I am ok with the Searcy, the 375 barrels are shooting perfectly and the 450-400 is nearly as good. I also loaded some mono solids for my 300 win mag Hagn. If all else fails I am going to kill an elephant with the Hagn. When I get back, we'll have to get together and shoot a few.

For everyone else, I apologize for being short and difficult.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bad news is that either it was mistreated or had an original problem. I have done nothing but shoot it.

I have refrained from postig on this thread until I saw the comment above. I just want to be clear that the rifle was not "mistreated" in any way. In addition, there was no "original problem". If there was a problem, I would never have sold the rifle without getting it fixed and disclosing that fact. More than a few DRSS members have shot this rifle in the past with no problems.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
AK, I didn't care for the smart remarks on trading your bolt gun to me. I was interested in some help from anyone with real knowledge, not just more internet verbal masturbation. I don't know the guy that built your bolt rifle and I am sure it is fine. Get in line, there are lots of good rifles out there. I want rifles that are excellent to extraordinary, regular rifles come by the truck load.

Josh
I'm sorry that you have been offended by my "smart remarks" I truely did not intend for you to take it the way you did. I sincerely apolagise for that.
I've taken some offence to your comments such as "wanabe Custome gun" and the inferance that the level of quality that my tast run in come by the "truck load".
I started this evening out by photographing some of my really high end stuff to post here so I could prove that I truly know what exceptional high quality guns are and yes I indeed have them myself but no I'm just going to let it go. Rusty is right you have a lot on your plate right now.
I can see a lot of common threads between you and I Josh that could have possibly led to a friendship had the time and place and this bickering ever let it happen. You really don't know who I am. I think if you did I would gleem a little more acceptance from you.

I hope you have a great hunt. I belive you said Namibia. I always wanted to go there.

Again sorry.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me say that I spent a week or so with Akshooter in Alaska. He graciously asked me to stay for a visit when I was done with a hunt I did around Nome.

I have seen his trophies, seen and shot several of his guns, met some of his friends, and can say he is the real deal.

Any info he gives is worth listening to.

I know and have hunted with Rusty, Mac, and Jim.
Any info they give is backed by their experience, I have seen them in action.

The other posters on this forum have a good reputation, and while I have not met them in person, I am aware of their previous post over a fairly long period of time.

Josh you are very lucky to be able to get info from so many different people with experience in double rifles.

Everybody here is just trying to help someone who is Bolt Rifle Trash, become a Gentlemen of the Double Rifle. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

What about me you no good whiskey drinking gorilla masochist? And all this time I thought we were friends!

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
quote:

What about me you no good whiskey drinking gorilla masochist? And all this time I thought we were friends!

Don't pay no tention to that thar Arkansas Pheasent salesmen, Tony! He's just an old Razorback, rootin round fer ah compliment,and you know that thar ole Arkansas hill billy cain't shoot nuthin smaller than a Cape Buffalo, and he caint drank no wiskey neither!
lol

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's a saying: "...you can take ___________(fill in the blank with your favored flavor of know it all idiot) out of the country; but you can't take the country out of ____________...". Some people could break a cast iron anvil.

If the shoe fits here, wear it. I appreciate ALL the help people here try and give me.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

animal

I think it is time for the trophy picture? Don't you agree?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An American Gorilla on the left and an African Gorilla on the right Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
It's kind of strange though,they both have the same kind of look in their eyes shocker
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
quote:

animal

I think it is time for the trophy picture? Don't you agree?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Josh A.:
For everyone else, I apologize for being short and difficult.

Josh A,

I hope you can see that some of our knowlegdable members (with real bona fides) are really trying to help you. Confused

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry ROSCOE it was an unintentional oversight on my part. wave

Just to set the record straight the WHISKY I drink has no E in it. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Mac that was down right rude. I am more that capable of shooting those small critters but the damn things wont stand still long enough. Buffalo are better eatin anyway.

And I'll also add that you Texas boys cant tell a pure bread arkansas phesant from a brown bear!

You guys are killin me! Tony you look so scared in the picture I bet you couldn’t shit a BB!

And as for the whiskey or whatever you want to call it…the last time I drank with you boys it took me two days to recover. From now on I’ll stick to beer!

R

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Refreshing. CONFIDENCE in your gear.

You are not alone and it is not your fault.

"So in fairness the firing pin could well be the only problem with the Heym." are you sure?

I thought I was the only guy that had these problems. Pressure spikes, Firing pin issues I must of had your rifles brother. Never really talked much about it here as politics are a bitch.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
And as for the whiskey or whatever you want to call it…the last time I drank with you boys it took me two days to recover.

How long did it take you to recover from drinking with my dad and I?

I have been super friggin' slammed at work - about as busy as a hooker at a Democratic convention - and it ain't lettin' up any time soon.

ROSCOE, I hope to see Riann again at another get together! And this time introduce him to Pops, that ugly old mother fucker...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I forgot about that one.....That was the first time I quit drinking Whiskey!

Last I spoke to Riaan he will in Zim hunting Jumbo. He said he wanted to come back and see all his new friends in January. I look forward to another evening of celebration with you and Pop's!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac that was down right rude. I am more that capable of shooting those small critters but the damn things wont stand still long enough. Buffalo are better eatin anyway.

And I'll also add that you Texas boys cant tell a pure bread arkansas phesant from a brown bear!
R

A Pure bred Arkansas phesant is dominecker rooster, with feathers, and a brown bear got hair, and it's brown! ........SO there! I think! bewildered

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith