Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone owned or used one. Dealer in Canada has them on sale and I am really tempted. Any mechanical or regulation issues.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned 4 Merkels...9.3x74r, 500NE and two in 470NE. I still have the first one in 470NE. All were well regulated with both factory ammo and handloads. I never had any mechanical problems with any of them.

Ed Scarboro

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have one and it's great. Comes up perfectly and is regulated well and accurate. Beautiful wood and finish too.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I presently own two Merkel double rifles! one is a 140-1 chambered for 9.3X74R with selective ejectors, and a set trigger on the front trigger. This rifle was bought from Cape Outfitters brand new with fitted case. It is well regulated and has presented no problem for the last ten years, and a couple thousand rounds down the tubes.

The second one is a 140-2 chambered for 470NE with extractors. This rifle is also well regulated and has presented not one problem for me or it's previous owner who is a member here on AR. He bought the rifle new and took two elephant, and three cape buffalo with it, then sold it to me along with five boxes of Federal ammo, and cape buffalo custom soft case, a fitted hard case a custom sling, and a break down Tuff-case. I've had this rifle for about eight years with absolutely no problem at all.

There have been some reports of problems from the newer ones on Mono-block barrels with ejectors. I'm not sure they are founded but where there is smoke................
................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
You might want to do a search here regarding Merkels...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive played with a lot of Merkels over the years albeit never owned one...The one thing I noticed about every one of them is they point and handle quite well, and the were accurate as can be in every case.

I would classify them as a low dollar double with a high dollar rateing..I would not hesitate to hunt with one for any DG under any circumstances..but Ive only owned hunter grade British doubles in my career.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and got it. Shot it yesterday after loading 10 rounds in 1 grain increments. 120 grains of IMR 7977 regulated the best at 1 1/2"
at 50 yards. Will continue to try and tweak it a bit more. Overall I'm happy so far, a couple of minor things - the stock could use the pores filled, plastic grip cap instead of steel. May have a minor crack starting on the stock as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Merkels, one a 141 in 30-06 and the other a engraved 140 in 500NE, had issue with the 500 doubling been back to the factory twice just received it a couple months ago and just have not had a chance to shoot. I believe they are well built handle nicely. If you have a crack get it back to the factory Forgot I have another 140 in 375HH never had any issues with it

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
had issue with the 500 doubling been back to the factory twice

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
raamw did you have doubling problems out of the box or after a lot of shooting. Did Merkel ever tell what they did to repair it especially if it took two times back to the shop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first two firing with Hornady factory doubled, at firstt I thought I may have strummed the triggers, the second time I payed more attention, After that I tried one live and one empty to prove it would only double with the forward trigger was fired first in which both barrels would eject the empties. The Merkel smith asked if I new how to shoot a double, a fair question, for which I replied one barrel at a time. After repair he stated he cleaned it (only 12 rounds fired) and installed a shim. That did not work so it went back. He assured me after re inspection and several firings the gun worked flawlessly. I have been tied up with everything under the sun the last 3 months and have not had the opportunity to test it.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Got a 470 with octagon barrels...sweet.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Well made guns imo. Congrats on your acquisition.

In the process of making one more British:

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking stock, do you have a pattern and turn it on a duplicator or build it from a blank.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have a 140-2 .500 NE. I think it was built in 2006. It is a shoe-lump with extractors. Very accurate and easy to load for. I have shot about 300-400 rounds through it and 3 ele...2 this year. It performs flawlessly and points well. I love that rifle.

Twice while learning to shoot it early on...I let it pull the grip out of my hand and I strummed the rear trigger. One of those times...I had tried switching from R-15 to IMR 4350 which makes recoil totally different.

Never a mechanical issue at all.

Will take it back ele hunting next August.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36862 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote