THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bergstutzen, some who use one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bergstutzen, some who use one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all

There is a lot of talking about the double rife, be it a side by side or a over and under double.

They all have one thing in common, the have two barrels with the same caliber.

But, there is a double, named Bergstuzen. It is , I think, a German/Austrian type of the double. It is with two different calibers, one for the small deer, rabbit, varmint and one larger for the larger deer, boar and so.

Just how popular are they? Some here who have one and hunt with it?

Thanks for looking

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They seem to be a lot more popular in Europe, esppecially Germany that they are in the USA.

However I have a friend that just got a Blaser BBF 97 in 22 High Power/9,3x74R.

Now that is a rifle that is destined for some adventure. Big Grin

But rifle shotgun combos tend to be more popular here in the USA.

I use them quite a bit.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

Well, I go tit.
But, still your friend have a nice hunting gun.
What is he thinking of hunting with it?

So, your also a cape gun user.? Good.

That is a nice gun, to hunt all kinds of game, and yet not as expensive as a drilling.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
vegard

Well actully my 11 year old Nephew is the BBF 97 user. It is a 308/20ga.

I Am a Drilling, Double Rifle Drilling user.

After my Nephew had shot deer, squirrel and turkeys with my D 99, and a pig with my R 93 in 308, we were setting around the camp fire and I asked him what kind of gun he would like to hunt with he relied " I think I would like a gun with a rifle and a shotgun barrel, that way I can kill anything I see.

So I got a BBF 97 for him because it is lighter for him to carry.

My wifes favorite hunting gun is a Drilling as well. Hers in a 12x12x30/06.

She has used it in Texas Montana and Zimbabwe.

Combo guns are great guns for the HUNTER.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2

Thanks for the reply and information.

Yes, as your nephew say, one can take all kinds of games with it.
Combos , drillings and so are great for hunters.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vegard -dino:
Once I add an insert in cal 30-30 to a combo gun Blaser BBF-95 in cals. 30R and 12 gauge. So it was converted to a Bergstutzen in 30R and 30-30. Sadly the add of weight was too much, so never used it again, althoug the system worked flawlesly. I have never been able to get an insert in cals. 22 LR or 22 Mag., but have seen some Drillings that came from the factory with those inserts and they are reliable and very accurate. Perhaps one of these days...
Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the mixed bag of game of varying sizes and toughness, a Bergstutzen (or drilling with insert) just makes lot of sense in Europe. I have used a Bergstutzen when sitting in a "Kanzel" (high house)during driven hunts in Germany. The combo was 7 x 65R and 5.6 x 52R (22 Savage Hi Power). The smaller pill was just right for roe deer and the 7 x 65R serviced everything else.

I think the Bergstutzen will remain an interesting oddity in this country.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JonP

Yes, that is tru. It is odd, but still a good odd gun Smiler

As you say, if one go hunting in an area where on can find deer, boar, roe deer and so, the Bergstutzen or even the drilling with a insert makes a lot of sense.

How did the driven hunt go?

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Although I have a couple of drillings and a couple of BBF's I still like the idea of a bergstutzen. The ones I've seen made in Ferlach were very small and light and much more demenutive than even a BBF not to mention a drilling.
Since I seem to get the most enjoyment from hunting with a rifle a bergstutzen with a .22 hornet on top and 7x65 or .30 Blazer would give me one gun that would do 90% of what I hunt for.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did the driven hunt go?

Where I used to hunt we never had problems with finding game. Our host was always insistent that we shoot all the hogs we could except for leading sows (fuehrende Bache) of course. Usually does and calves of all deer variety were allowed and sometimes a couple of us would be invited to shoot a red deer "Kniepe" which is basically a young bull. Our German colleagues don't like game hogs though..best to let one of the regulars be Jagdkoenig (King of the hunt) besides buying the drinks can get expensive.

Someone needs to explain to me why Blaser concocted the 30R. I assume to provide a 30 caliber rimmed cartridge. Ammo is expensive and ballistically I don't see any great advantage over several cartridges in the 7-8mm range. Downrange energy on the 7 x 64 is pretty much the same, for instance.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote