Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 47R 8 x 57IRS 8 x 57R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Not being familiar with double rifles and the european caliber nomenclature, could one of you please tell me what these calibers would be close to in more "common" caliber terminology?
bewildered

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 8x57's are in the same power range as the 30-06.

The 9,3x74R shoots a .366 gr bullet, I use the 286 grainers at @2250fps, and is a little under the 375 H&H in power.

The 9,3x74R double rifle is one of the best hunting rifles on the planet.

Search the AR forums for more detailed info.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Not being familiar with double rifles and the european caliber nomenclature, could one of you please tell me what these calibers would be close to in more "common" caliber terminology?
bewildered

9.3X74R, 8X57IRS, 8X57R

As Tony says, the 9.3X74R (useing a .366 dia bullet), is slightly less powerful than the 375 H&H flanged, and is legal for the big five in some countries, not in others where the 375 H&H is minimum for Buffalo Rhino, and Elephant. Im pritty sure it is legal for the cats everywhere, except LION in Tanzania.

The 8X57IRS is the 8MM Mauser, a rimless cartridge thai is in the 308 to 30-06 range with handloads, but American factory ammo is loaded lower to use in very old rifles, but is fine for all North Amrican game, except Brown bear, and Polar bear.

The 8X57JRS (uses a .323 dia bullet) , and the 8X57JR (useing a .318 dia bullet) are bot rimmed cartridges, made to use in double rifles, and combination guns, and are about the same power as the 8X57 Mauser.

Any rifle chambered for a rimmed version of the 8X57 cartridge should have the barrel slugged to find the proper bullet dia, and IMO rimless cartridges should be avoided in double rifles, or combination guns, intended for use on anything dangerous.

Of the three cartridges you mention, the best all round one is the 9.3X74R in a light double rifle, like the Merkel, or Chapuis are, not only a joy to carry all day, but are very effective on game as well!

..........Hope that helps! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second NE 450 No2's explanation.

The 7x57R, 7x65R, 8x57IRS and the 9.3x74R are pretty much standard fare for Continetal Double, Combination and Single Shot rifles.

Unless you've managed to locate a good, solid, older, used rifle the 8X57R (.318") bore is rarely encountered today; the 8x57IRS (.323") bore is much more common and currently manufactured. With 180-200 grain bullets it is a real, solid .30/06 class cartridge performer. The 8x57IS & 8X57IRS remains the cartridge of choice for many German Foresters.

The 9.3x74R is a class of it's own, killing power right up there with the .375H&H Flanged and just short of the .375H&H Mag. A VERY popular cartridge for Double Rifles & Drillings here in Europe and as an American cartridge comparison I've not noticed any practical field differnce when stacked against the .338 Win. Mag. either. From my perspective the cartridge is a mild recoiler in Double Rifles (some may disagree) it's killing power remarable for the reduced recoil IMO.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I noted that in the recent hunt posted by Juan Pozzi in Argentina, his client used a Merkel double in, I thought, 375 H&H.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mac, there is a slight error in your post. The 8X57IRS and 8X57JRS are the same cartridge and both are rimmed. The 8X57JS and the 8X57J are the same case, one with the .318 bullet (J) and one with the .323 bullet (JS). Here again you will sometimes see I instead of J as a suffix but the I and the J stand for the same thing. Basically, the R means they are rimmed, the S means they are .323 caliber bullets.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is anyone familiar with the 9,3 x 47 r he asked about.....or is that a typo?

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac, there is a slight error in your post. The 8X57IRS and 8X57JRS are the same cartridge and both are rimmed. The 8X57JS and the 8X57J are the same case, one with the .318 bullet (J) and one with the .323 bullet (JS). Here again you will sometimes see I instead of J as a suffix but the I and the J stand for the same thing. Basically, the R means they are rimmed, the S means they are .323 caliber bullets.

100% correct. There are a lot of misconceptions about this subject.

Proud DRSS member