Find
Notify
Tools

SPR-22 Fix & Monday NEW fix
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
As I noted in a previous posting, my adjustment jackscrew on the Rem/Baikal .45-70 double seemed to be broken. After looking at it awhile, again, I fixed it myself by releaving the tension on the screw, pushing the screw part where it kind of "snapped" in. I then snapped it out, put a dot of super glue on it and snapped it back in.
Took it to the range today with only a few rounds and got left and right barrels within 1.7" of each other! I may have a good gun yet.
clap

Saw an item for David Bruschi's fix of the cocking levers which allow the double to open fully and stay open. I emailed him and promptly got an envelope with an instruction letter, a postage-paid envelope and a small manila envelope with two new cocking levers.
It was so easy, I'd let any of my grandsons do the replacement. Here is a very quick lesson:
1. take the barrels and forend off.
2. Secure the frame.
3. tap the pin, holding the levers, from right to left until you can pull out that lever.
4. put new lever with notch in and tap slightly to secure it.
5. tap from the left side to allow the left lever to be removed.
6. put new lever without notch in and tap pin fully back into place. That's it! It works.
He has a suggested remedy if it doesn't work.
A few don't due to the "tolerances" in Baikal guns.
If if works, mail him a check for $24.95.
If it doesn't, put the cocking levers into the SASE and send them back to him.
Fantastic deal for a quick fix.

papadave@bellsouth.net is his email.
thumb

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prof242:

Had mine out yesterday too for a little. Just out of curiosity, can you toss a hint of the load you were using?

I did a little research on the 2200 BAR max pressure engraved on the barrel and found that if my info is correct, the chambers may be able to handle a little more than trapdoor level loads. Turns out 1 BAR is equal to approx 14.57 psi or a max of 32054 psi. Looked through my reloading manual and found that those levels are near to the pressures listed for light “modern lever action†loads. So…..Had a few rounds of 350gr jacketed with 53grs of H4198 which should be right at the 32K limit.

The recoil was….spirited…. in a 6 ½ pound rifle. Had shot maybe 8-10 300 hard cast over 37grs H4198 before touching these off. At 50yds the hard cast would print on 8 ½ x 11 paper with both barrels. With the 350 grain only 3 out of the eight I shot hit the paper and even then not tied to a specific barrel.

Somehow I get the feeling that with the thin barrel walls this might be a good bet for 405s at trapdoor load levels. Will try some next time out.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
m3taco,
Your loads are well above mine. I've used 33gr of 4198 behind both Laser-Cast and jacketed 350gr bullets. Recoil is light and accuracy is great from each barrel. I'm going to slowly go up to see what I can get. Only had four rounds available to shoot (son was with me with his new Marlin GG and shot up most of what I had with me).
Big Grin

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Prof: That's very encouraging. I have loaded a box of 405 Remingtons over 45 grains of 3031 for what should be about 1375 -- close to the Remington Factory ammo velocity. Hope I can dial in the right barrel.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent a short email to Remington yesterday. Asked them what the “factory†loads are that they (if they) set the regulation at the factory. Got an auto reply email that said I should receive a response in 5-7 days. If they do answer, it may provide a little better starting point then dropping a couple of whatever we have down the tubes pulling triggers. Will post their response if/when it comes in.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
I'd ke to get a set of cocking levers from David Bruschi,but his e-mail does not work. Does anyone have another way to get in touch with him? Thanks for your help!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The adjustment screw moves both bbls. Mine from the factory with light loads was 8in to the right with the rt bbl and 8in left with the left bbl. Turned the screw about 2 turns back towards the butt of the gun and they both moved to the center and were almost to point of aim.

posted Hide Post
Did a net search for Mr. Bruschi and found one in Fla. Dialed his no. and it was disconected. Have a feeling since his email was bell south that this may be him. Would love to have any info re; the cocking levers Mr Bruschi sent to solve the "stay open: problem since I have it too. How about some pics of the new ones installed?? they look as if I could duplicate them without modifying the factory ones since this voids the factory warrantee.
I have started to experiment with Varget and hope to give results when weather allows.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, let me make a suggestion that may save you a lot of time in finding the proper load for your little double rifle, and save you a lot of agrevation as well!

First find a load in your book that is within the pressure range for your rifle, load 12 rounds. At this point don't even worry about regulation, what you need is a proper pressure load, the will shoot nice groups from each barrel.

When you get to the range place two targets on the frame on opposite sides of the target backing. Now fire the first shot from the right barrel, on the target on the right, the second shot on the target on the left from the left barrel, then repeat this two more times, for a full six shots, with all the right barrel on the right target, and the left on the left target.

While the rifle is cooling, go get your targets, and mark them left & right, and mark the shots from each barrel 1,2, & 3 on the target.

What this will give you is how well the load shoots in each barrel, and how much it spreads
as the barrel heats up durring the three shots from each barrel. Now find the center of each barrel's group, and mark it on the target.

This will also tell you where that barrel is printing in relation to the aiming point on the target, but not the bullet holes but the center of each barrel's group in relation to the aiming point. The centers of each group is what you want to move to a side by side position for windage, and at a horrizonal level, with the aiming point exactly half way between the "CENTERS" of each barrels group, with the right barrel on the right, and the left barrel on the left of the aiming point. When this happens, you are regulated, then shoot only that load for everything. Once found,I personally would fix that adjustment permenantly, and go hog hunting! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
But what if, as in my circumstance, these two points were 16 in apart at 25 yds? That is where the jacking screw comes in play. I moved the screw 2 full turns back toward the butt of the gun and these two points now converged. I have also shot the rifle at 50 yds and these two points weren't far apart, if at all. Now, if you change the velocity or load of the bullets the jacking screw may need to be adjusted again slightly. I have just recently changed to a slightly hotter load, IE: 350JRN with 50 gr of Varget and this jacking screw will need some adjustment. I will know how much after our weather clears.

posted Hide Post
50 gr of Varget is not enough of a load. 58-59 grs will get you to 1800-1900fps. Look at the IMR loading data online. I have a Siace Alaskan DR in 45-70 that I shoot 350HRN with 60gr of Varget at 2000fps with excellent accuracy, and amazing penetration. The IMR data shows about 29,000psi at this load.

posted Hide Post
I have 150 rds thru this gun so far and am not comfortable with the recoil from 29k psi loads. I'm shooting for pleasure not punishment. I never plan to hunt again but if the day ever comes where I will need such a load I can look up the loads in any of my 5 reloading books.I appreciate the info and am grateful for your input. It's always nice to hear from other enthusiasts and share views. thx, mike

posted Hide Post
By the way, Recoil Energy for the 1900 fps load is 43.2 ft lbs where a normal 30-06 recoil would be about 20, just to give some idea of the magnitude. Recoil energy in the area of 30-35ft lbs is my comfort level. Thx again ren3

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pmike5869:
But what if, as in my circumstance, these two points were 16 in apart at 25 yds? That is where the jacking screw comes in play. I moved the screw 2 full turns back toward the butt of the gun and these two points now converged. I have also shot the rifle at 50 yds and these two points weren't far apart, if at all. Now, if you change the velocity or load of the bullets the jacking screw may need to be adjusted again slightly. I have just recently changed to a slightly hotter load, IE: 350JRN with 50 gr of Varget and this jacking screw will need some adjustment. I will know how much after our weather clears.

A double rifle is designed to shoot one load! My suggestion to you is find the load the shoots good groups in each barrel, THEN regulate the barrels,for that load, and leave it alone! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone find Mr. Bruschi? Or some way to fix the cocking levers so the rifle would open and stay open without the tension to close?

Thanks,
Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote