New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 470 load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any one chronoed this load with the 500 grain TB Sledgehammer solid? If so please include barrel length in your post. Thanks!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to give me a while to get over a motorcycle wreck with way too many broken ribs, I will chrono my .470 federal loads. May take a month but I will get it done and let you know the results.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn I feel for ya.
Got Flail Chested once myself.
Get well soon.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My past experience with them was that they were very inconsistent. I saw velocities anywhere from just under 2000 FPS to almost 2300 FPS. All from guns with 24” barrels. I am not saying that the ammo is bad….just that I saw variations. My experience with the Hornady ammo has been good. I don’t have a 470 any longer but the 450NE and the 500NE I currently own shoot the hornady ammo very well and the loads appear very consistent to the velocity stated the box.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
If you are willing to give me a while to get over a motorcycle wreck with way too many broken ribs, I will chrono my .470 federal loads. May take a month but I will get it done and let you know the results.

I hope you recover quick and l;ok forward to your results.

Roscoe,

Thanks for thee info.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was working up a load for my Merkel in 470, I chronoed the loads in temperatures from high 40's to low 90's. I was using RL15 with kynoch wads and 500gr Woodleighs. In the lower temperatures the velocity was around 2060-2080 and in the high 80's they clocked at 2200fps. That Merkel shot well anywhere in those ranges of temperatures and velocity. My Searcy seems to shoot that load and the IMR4831 load Butch set it up for. I plan to test it this fall as temperatures cool off. I really have not shot the Searcy on paper but it breaks clay targets at 50yds with no problem with Hornady factory or handloads with either RL15 or IMR4831.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't recall exactly, but I do remember that my Merkel did not achieve 2100 fps with Federal loads. In fact, I think they were low 2000's, which was a bit of a concern to me. Have not chrono'd the Hornady factory yet, but they appear to cross in my rifle -- after only a bit of shooting.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
More evidence of the inconsistencies of factory loads for doubles. See my post on Hornady 450NE ammo.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady loads chronographed right at 2160 in my Searcy which is about the velocity that Butch regulated it. The handload Butch gave me of 106gr of IMR4831 with a 500gr Woodleigh chronographed at 2175 on the day I checked them. I don't remember the temperature. My Merkel does not cross even at 2200fps.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, guys.
Getting better but ain't up to shooting anything over a .338 yet. 5 1/2 weeks after breaking 7 ribs on one side and one on the other, I had a trip to Zimbabwe and rebroke 4 ribs just shooting my buffalo. Almost back to normal except for the separated shoulder they didn't catch at the hospital. Will try to shoot the Federal loads out of my Blaser S2 before the first of December and let you know.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
The Hornady loads chronographed right at 2160 in my Searcy which is about the velocity that Butch regulated it. The handload Butch gave me of 106gr of IMR4831 with a 500gr Woodleigh chronographed at 2175 on the day I checked them. I don't remember the temperature. My Merkel does not cross even at 2200fps.

I had one lot of hornady clock right at 2150 out of my 25" barreled VC with an outside temp (OAT) of 80 deg. Same for my hand loads using 96gr of H-4831 which is what Hornady uses. Same loads at 40 deg OAT clocked at 2060. Not enough to make a call but I'm testing more.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most inconsistencies come from English doubles IMO..I guess because of variance in bore size and chamber differences also..

I have always gotten pretty good consistency with Searcy rifles.. Fed. and Hornady factory double rifle velocity has been fairly inconsistent for whatever reason, by about 50 to 75 FPS, but since I shoot a double at 50 to 75 yardsm and it doesn't seem to change group size at all and it shoots to POI, and the fact that 2000 FPS kills as well as 2150 FPS, it has been a "problem" that I have ignored for the most part. thought it was just me!

Once I find a good accruate load with both a soft and a solid for one of my doubles that is the only load that I use. I refuse to change or mess with them. Just a personal thing however. I don't shoot factory stuff much, if at all, these days, unless it's comped. Add to that I may have just sold my last double rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote